Round 14 - Storm vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Interesting to see how we line up next week with Slater, Scott, Chambers and possibly Finucane all back, losing Jesse is a big loss and there is a chance Vunivalu will get rubbed out by the MRC, if that’s the case I would like to see this team run out against the Knights:

1. Slater
2. Chambers
3. Scott
4. Blair
5. Addo-Carr
6. Munster
7. Hughes
8. Glasby
9. Smith (c)
10. Asofa-Solomona
11. Kaufusi
12. Stimson
13. Finucane

14. Smith
15. Bromwich
16. Kasiano
17. Welch
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Dale is not meant to be back until after the second bye
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hughes at 7. Surely Jacks.

But Hughes is good.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Chambers on the wing, I'm sure he'll get crucified for not passing...
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

I must be looking at a different hit by Suli on Boyd - I can't see anything wrong with it.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Monsoon
Monsoon

Surely Hughes can’t be dropped, he plays in the halves in the QLD Cup and carves up every week!! Plus we all know Smith is our play caller, when he plays well we don’t need a traditional halfback. As for Chambers on the wing it will limit the fundamental mistakes in his game and he has the pace to make a good go of it, I heard Finucane was actually pretty close this week so who knows maybe a coin flip in 7 days time? Either way I think Blair and Hughes have earned spots in the 17 next week, just my 2 cents worth.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Great, bullocking try from Young. His best play in purple. That really was some try. Happy that Blair got back in the side. He has has a rough trot with injury and he’s a good honest player for mine. Step up son and claim a regular spot.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Must have a new coach if you think drastic changes will be made lmao.
Get both our starting centres back next week which will be a boost.

Do wish Hughes could make the 17 somewhere with Bill healthy. He’s a quality football player.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

I think it's time for Jacks to hand back the halfback role - at least for a while.
Generally pretty ineffective the last 3 or so weeks.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cheyse getting overrated here again I see. He didn’t do anything. Couple times there were chances down the right side but Cheyse was too slow to take advantage of them. There should be no way he is in the team next week, no way.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:I think it's time for Jacks to hand back the halfback role - at least for a while.
Generally pretty ineffective the last 3 or so weeks.
He just had his first positive attacking output for months and you want him dropped? For shame.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Having finally watched the replay, why didn't Suli dive for the corner and all the Bronco's tries were scored down our left edge, Hoffman and Youngs side of the field. Would Chambers cure this problem, don't think so. There'll be a guru in amongst us, what's the stats re tries being scored against us, left versus right side?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote:Having finally watched the replay, why didn't Suli dive for the corner and all the Bronco's tries were scored down our left edge, Hoffman and Youngs side of the field. Would Chambers cure this problem, don't think so. There'll be a guru in amongst us, what's the stats re tries being scored against us, left versus right side?
I was thinking the same thing there with Suli, why didn’t he dive? I’m sure he scores if he dives.

As for the stats about left and right field tries against us, while I don’t know any numbers for now, I remember just couple weeks ago while discussing Brodie Croft returning and Cameron blaming all the tries he let in as a reason for him not coming back. I did some research then and the majority of tries against us came on that left side. I could do it all again if you’s want
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ok, let's see.
Round 1 - Bulldogs, 3 tries - 2 right, 1 left
Round 2 - Tigers - 1 try - right side
Round 3 - Cowboys - 2 tries - 2 left side
Round 4 - Sharks - 1 try - Left side
Round 5 - Tigers - 2 tries - 1 left, 1 right - Chambers did not play
Round 6 - Knights - 3 tries - 3 right - Chambers did not play
Round 7 - Broncos - 4 tries - 2 left, 1 right, 1 under the posts
Round 8 - Warriors - 2 tries - 2 left
Round 9 - Dragons - 4 tries - 3 left, 1 right
Round 10 - Titans - 2 tries -1 left, 1 right
Round 11 - Manly - 4 tries - 2 left, 1 right, 1 under the posts
Round 12 - Cowboys - 1 try - left side
Round 14 - Broncos - 3 tries - 3 left - Chambers did not play
So that's 11 right side to 19 left side. Keep in mind that these were from the post out, some would probably be considered scored in the middle. So this means in the 10 games Chambers has played this season, only 6 tries were scored on the right side of the post, compared to 15 on the left.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think I've got myself confused as to which side of the field Chambers defends, I think from the above list he must be right side? Regardless, what I was getting at was the inside men not sliding across to help defend the outside players, and potential step backs as happened to Munster on Sunday.
Hoffman is left side? and that's where the sliding across cover / defence stops. He seems to find himself closer to the posts and as a result his outside men need to come in thereby creating a large 'open area' and overlaps. I wonder if this is a result of a couple of years at the Warriors and / or age catching up. This I think, coupled with our spluttering attack (the biggest area for concern) must have the coaching staff scratching their heads / pulling their collective hairs out.

Edit to the above; We've got the fourth best attack and third best defence, it's not all doom and gloom. We just might need to lower our expectations a little bit.