Cameron Smith - Rep Retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

yourhero wrote:Such a shame... Obviously a knee jerk reaction to the bad press this week. I hope he doesn't come to regret this decision.
I think he deserves better than your assumption that he made this decision based on the events of this week. Cam Smith does not make rash decisions.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whilst I am sure it was not the primary driving reason, you don’t think that the stress of the week didn’t at least play a part?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I know everything is supposition, but my feeling is the retiring from rep maybe started as long back as last years SOO series. The fact that I believe the sternum issue may have been much worse than what was released to the public. This means maybe another 18 months for the storm that is good news for us but not so much for Brandon Smith.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:Massive surprise out of nowhere but from a purely selfish perspective I'm rapt to hear the news. I'm not a Queenslander so I'm not upset he'll be missing Origin, I'm a Melbourne Storm fan/member first and foremost and if Cams decision is going to help us then I'm all for it.
Well said
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

yourhero wrote:Whilst I am sure it was not the primary driving reason, you don’t think that the stress of the week didn’t at least play a part?

No I dont
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote:Whilst I am sure it was not the primary driving reason, you don’t think that the stress of the week didn’t at least play a part?
I think if Goat survived Salary Cap and the McKInnon issues than I seriously doubt the Sydney based hysteria would sway his choice.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair enough, was just my immediate thought and prior to the press conference where Smith gave his detailed justification.

I am happy to take Smith on his word, I agree, he deserves that.

The timing is just somewhat peculiar and at odds with the usual meticulous planning associated with Smith.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

From what I've heard his children are at the age where they have started asking why can't dad come to watch me play soccer why can't dad come watch me play afl...what do you say to a child when you spend 6 months in camp for QLD or Aust instead or in the cold freezing ya arse off cheering your kid on...

I also heard via friend he was majorly upset about missing coopers wedding because he was on holiday with his family during the only time he had available

Obviously life has just caught up with him and it was time

I guess we should be prepared this yr might be the end completely ...god I hope it isn't but it might well be so enjoy every game
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Daddy duties come first.
And why not.

Cameron actually wants to be a dad as well.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

wow. Just got off an international flight to this news !

I am in total agreement with those posters who have said this would definitely have been a well-considered decision, and that it is good news for the Storm. Will take a huge gloss off SOO1 , where I am hosting some folks flying down from Qld, but it will greatly help Cam get through this ( and next ?) season for the Storm.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forgot the MCG has an origin game. Bet the nrl and organisers are a little pissed about that.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:Forgot the MCG has an origin game. Bet the nrl and organisers are a little pissed about that.
Im surprised that Goldberg and the NRL headhonchoes didn't tell Cam he had to play Game 1.

He was the poster boy for it.

Will be a damp squib now unless Billy or Josh light it up.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hadn't brought tickets yet..now I think I'll just watch on tv
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:I hadn't brought tickets yet..now I think I'll just watch on tv
So you only watch origin for one player? It's still the pinnacle of Rugby League, and we get one game every 3 years at best here in Melbourne to enjoy live! Get there and cheer on the Maroons! (hopefully!) - we'll still have a number of boys playing to enjoy, likely Munster, Slater, Fox, Glasby (might keep his spot), possibly Kafusi, Curtis Scott being touted potential, Dale would be close..
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

So you are actually saying the pinnacle of rugby league is the Melbourne Storm. :)