Smith/Thurston Testimonial CONFIRMED

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 9c3363235a

IT’s on. Queenslanders will have the chance to say thanks to two of their greatest rugby league players – Johnathan Thurston and Cameron Smith – at a special testimonial game at Suncorp Stadium.

The pre-season grand final rematch between Smith’s Melbourne and Thurston’s Cowboys on Friday, February 23, has been just announced by Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk at Suncorp Stadium.

Both players were present for the announcement which confirmed that the Cowboys Community Foundation and Ovarian Cancer Australia and Prostate Cancer Foundation as charity partners for the event.

The match will be broadcast exclusively on Fox League.

Thurston has selected the Cowboys Community Foundation supporting the ‘NRL Cowboys House’ and is excited to be able to support a charity he feels strongly about and is closely involved with.

“NRL Cowboys House provides housing and access to education for young indigenous boys from remote North Queensland communities, who otherwise would may not have had the opportunity to complete a secondary education,’’ Thurston said.

“In less than one school year, I’ve personally witnessed significant transformation in our House Brothers and know that providing a caring and culturally responsible environment focused on education is closing the gap for our boys, their families and their communities.’’

Smith has selected the Cancer charities, saying he is passionate about both.

“I have been an Ovarian Cancer Australia ambassador (OCA) for several years through the Storm’s link with the organisation and its founder Nicole Livingstone. The organisation works tirelessly to educate women and support those affected by it.

“I have also decided to support Prostate Cancer Foundation Australia. A member of my family has been affected by the disease and men’s health is not something that is often spoken about, so if I can create some awareness not only around prostate cancer but men’s health in general then that’s something I’d like to achieve as part of this Testimonial match.”

So I guess this means no World CLub Challenge... but I know what I might do for my birthday in 2018!