Thinking of migrating to Melbourne

A place to be welcomed, to welcome and to find out a little bit more about each other!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've come to Melbourne several times over the last few years and everytime I do I just feel like its a much better place to live.
The people seem friendlier, the houses are cheaper and it just seems a lot slower than Sydney.
My partner has been bugging me non stop along with family from Melbourne for me to move us down there.
My job and mates are stopping me atm. Job in particular.
She keeps reminding me of how I could watch every storm home game live! Lol

Anyway, has anyone ever moved from Syd to Melbourne?
The weather there is very unpredictable from what I've experienced.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: I've come to Melbourne several times over the last few years and everytime I do I just feel like its a much better place to live.
The people seem friendlier, the houses are cheaper and it just seems a lot slower than Sydney.
My partner has been bugging me non stop along with family from Melbourne for me to move us down there.

If your young and are in a serious relationship and have family down in here, do it Bula. I moved from Sydney 8 years ago and it is such a better lifestyle apart from lack of good beaches and Victorians can be overbearing. If you do move buy a house ASAP and by anywhere anywhere in the west, still GREAT value, particularly around Werribee, Tarneit and to a lesser extent PointCook, Altona Meadows, etc (but still great value compared to Sydney). Even if your here for 5-10 years you can still accrue yourself double or triple the assets you could in Sydney.

Funnily enough I'll be moving back north soon, up to beautiful Port Macquarie.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Noa Nadruku wrote:
bula wrote: I've come to Melbourne several times over the last few years and everytime I do I just feel like its a much better place to live.

If your young and are in a serious relationship and have family down in here, do it Bula. I moved from Sydney 8 years ago and it is such a better lifestyle apart from lack of good beaches and Victorians can be overbearing. If you do move buy a house ASAP and by anywhere anywhere in the west, still GREAT value, particularly around Werribee, Tarneit and to a lesser extent PointCook, Altona Meadows, etc (but still great value compared to Sydney). Even if your here for 5-10 years you can still accrue yourself double or triple the assets you could in Sydney.

Funnily enough I'll be moving back north soon, up to beautiful Port Macquarie.
I agree with Noa, do it.  Melbourne's a great place to live and I just happen to live in the Werribee area and also suggest you buy a home in the west..Tarneit is particularly appealing, as is Point Cook.  Prices are still relatively cheap, but are on the rise as the area is booming yet its only 27km to the CBD....and the great new home for the Storm.

If you like great beaches and the surf as I do, Geelong and beyond have those and its only a half hr. drive to Geelong or 1 hr. to Torquay, etc.  Bells Beach is my particular favourite.

Finding work should be no problem and public transport is fabulous, as is the shopping.
Its a much better lifestyle than Sydney and just as important,  you'll find more money in your pocket.

One thing I don't agree with re Noa's comments on people being overbearing, I think Victorians are ever so friendly and very easy going.

Just go for it.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was said a bit in jest but if you didnt grow up here you notice it.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Hey mate - I made the move from Sydney to Melbourne in 2006 and I'm telling you, it is worth it. Public transport is much simpler, and if you are sports mad, you would have no worries getting to the games, compared to Sydney. Aside from that, it is just a great place to live, nice people, restaurants and there is always something to do. The weather is unpredictable, but thats all part of the fun ;)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks guys, funnily enough my family live in Truganina which is a new suburb a couple minutes from Wirebee. That's the area we're looking at.
This thread has really got me thinking.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

How could you not want to live in Melbourne??
All the best sports are here, practically a stones throw from the CBD!  We don't have to travel too far to great beaches!  We have great concert venues, bands & pubs!  We have the BEST weather, seriously - there's never a dull moment & if you don't like the weather at the time...........................just wait a few minutes & it'll change  ;-)
As long as you have a heater in winter & A/C in summer you'll be right  :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hell of a lot less rain in Melbourne than Sydney!

Just be prepared for no live league, except the Storm home games which you'll be at.  :lol:
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh crap, I forgot about no league. What about foxtel? Is it same scheduling as Sydney?
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Oh crap, I forgot about no league. What about foxtel? Is it same scheduling as Sydney?
Yep, plus with all the net streaming that goes on these days you can watch any game live.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Even Foxtel doesn't show Friday night games until 11:30pm.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote: How could you not want to live in Melbourne??
2 words.
Weath Er!  ;D
All the best sports are here, practically a stones throw from the CBD!  We don't have to travel too far to great beaches!  We have great concert venues, bands & pubs!  
Seriously though, it's the best city in Melbourne by far. Restaurants and cafe's, sport, nightlife; forests, mountains and beaches (my favorites are Jan Juc and - if you're not scared of reef rash - Winkie Pop)
Last edited by TC on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hey guess what!
I finally did it! Six years in the making lol.

Love this place! Weather can be a little up and down but should've done it sooner.
Brian
Squall
Squall

Welcome to the West
Well done it is a big jump.
Bish180b
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Melbourne is awesome brother