Religion discussion thread

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

O dear  :icon_frown:
This thread is STILL going  :roll:
Mickey - I was born nearly 60 years ago to 'religious' parents,(one anglical - one methodist) & was baptised,confirmed,served in choir,etc for a LONG time.Started to have doubts after moving to OZ & discovering that MONEY is what talked in most religions. When my son died of SIDS the support from your pious bretheren was DEAFENING in it's silence.I guess I wasn't wealthy enough.
BTW - Quite a lot of us work on 'so called' religious holidays.
My last post on the subject - LEAVE IT OUT OF SPORT.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I would have loved you to be at a sermon we did at our church about 3 weeks ago tackiling the myth that the church just wants your money. I conceed that there are some regligous groups that seem to know there bank account details better then they know there faith but this is definetly the minority.

I know your saying leave sport and religion seperate but if you want that to happen we should not play on the most holly day of the year.

I've go no problem with eveyone having there opinion but it seems that people like you and Super don't realise how much good work religous organisations do, I said this early but imagine where Australia would be if the church (and all church based organisations) didn't exist. Even a athiest would have to admit this country would be alot worth of without the likes of The Good sheppard, The Salvos, The Smith family, The brothood of St Lawrence etc.

I admit the church isn't perfect and we have made mistakes but what a lot of people forget is this is only one christian who was perfect and he lived 2000 years ago.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Nope....i love this quote from john Adams to Thomas jefferson:
This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it!!!
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mate you can't be serious. My cousin is a athiest but she admits with all the good worked the church does we'd be stuffed without them. I even know of one church in Sydney which about 30 athiests attend just to get that feel of community which has been lost.

Mate your a good bloke but to say the church does nothing good is stupid and even most athiest can admit the church does a lot of good
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

BS. You saying you religious freaks are the only ones that do chairty work?

The Smith Family
Medecins Sans Frontieres
The Red Cross
UNICEF
Oxfam
The Fred Hollows Foundation

what about the great work the above do?.

I wouldnt give my money to the religious run chairties..who knows where my money is REALLY going.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

no thats not what I said. you said the church don't do anything good and I pointed out some organisations that do great work that are church run. Yes I know there are many that do great work without church links and I would never deny that. I don't always agree with everything the Salvos say but no one can question the great work they do.

I think you will find the smith family do have christian links
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Whatever man. Religion is the worst thing to ever happen to this world IMHO.

Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Super if you think its no good and religous groups do no good I'd love to invite you to come out on the streets of Melbourne with me and show you what some of these groups do and see if you still hold that view after that

so you up for it?
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Pay for me to come down sure....but i dont want to give up a day spending it with religious people.

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Super Cronk wrote: Whatever man. Religion is the worst thing to ever happen to this world IMHO.
To quote Douglas Adams:

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has – or rather had – a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything.

Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone about it, a terrible stupid catastrophe occurred, and the idea was lost for ever.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

No surprise the guy that try to blow up the airplane in the states was "religious".  :o

Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Super to be honest I can't and won't speak for the muslims but I do know that many muslims are ashamed of what these muslims extermists do and feel its totally against islam to do things like that. I'm a christian not a muslim so I really can't say anymore than that.

What I am intersted in is your comment about not wanting to waste a day with religous people. I suppose by saying that you mean that you would not want to have a beer with me or nacho whilst watching a storm game because we are religous.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

As long as you didnt try to force your beliefs down my throat...and from my experinces with religious people...thats impossible for you guys not to do.

nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mikey wrote: Super to be honest I can't and won't speak for the muslims but I do know that many muslims are ashamed of what these muslims extermists do and feel its totally against islam to do things like that. I'm a christian not a muslim so I really can't say anymore than that.

What I am intersted in is your comment about not wanting to waste a day with religous people. I suppose by saying that you mean that you would not want to have a beer with me or nacho whilst watching a storm game because we are religous.
sorry, im underage
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sorry nacho forgot that mate :)

Super I don't try and force my views down people throat. To be totally honest I try and talk about it as much as possible without talking about it too much if that makes sense.

What I was saying earlier is that you said you don't want to hang around religous people but even if I wasn't talking about religion by watching a storm game with me you would be hanging around a religous person. You've probably hung around religous people in your life and chatted to them without realising they were religous.