Religion discussion thread

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I know not everyone is of the Christian belief but the Storm MUST have a brief service before the game to talk about what Good Friday means, I know some people will be opposed to this but we must be respectful. If its done on ANZAC day it should be done on Good Friday
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

why would the buddhists, muslims, hindus, sikhs, taoists, jews, agniostics, atheists or anyone else who is not part of the christian faith want a christian service before the Good Friday game.

I think you will find that Australia is no longer officially a "christian" country due to the diversity of religious beliefs.

If people don't want to come to a storm game on GF because it upsets their christian belief system...then don't come.

I'm sure the club won't force them...so why force non christians to be subject to a christian service.

for the record...I come from a christian faith background, but i beleive in religious freedom and freedom from being forced to follow someone elses religious values.

btw...there isn't a christian service before the anzac day game (unless i missed it)...the minutes silence and the ceremony is a mark of respect for the millions of men and women killed due to the horrors of war.

that actually has more relevance to more people than any religion I find.

just my opinion of course
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mikey wrote: I know not everyone is of the Christian belief but the Storm MUST have a brief service before the game to talk about what Good Friday means, I know some people will be opposed to this but we must be respectful. If its done on ANZAC day it should be done on Good Friday
I'll be very annoyed if they do - there is no obligation to do that at all!  Tie it in with the Childrens hospital appeal and that is all that needs to happen!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hell no! ill be totally against that! Take your fairy tale stories to pre-school!
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

im a religious person, im educated at a catholic marist school, brought up with a catholic familly, attend church yaadda yadda yadda u get the idea.

if people believe that it is important and necessary to recognise the significance of good friday, then a league match isnt the place they ought to be at, perhaps they think about visiting a church service instead.

i no ill be hitting up the local parish and pay my respects to the big man in the morning and then ill go to the storm game. the NRL (in my recent memory) have never paid respect(for lack of a better word, im not saying they dont respect religion) to any other religious traditions or beliefs so why allow it to Catholicism, if they were to do that then that leaves the door open for people to feel offended because their religious traditions and beliefs have not been identified and recognise.

just keep footy and religion separated. the anzac service is relevant because there is a good chance that many past league players served in the defence force in fact i think i can say that with confidence, but im pretty sure none of the league players were a disciple, wise man or anything to do with religion lol

thats just my 2cents
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

they got you too nacho???? nooooooo!

singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mikey wrote: I know not everyone is of the Christian belief but the Storm MUST have a brief service before the game to talk about what Good Friday means, I know some people will be opposed to this but we must be respectful. If its done on ANZAC day it should be done on Good Friday
Take your religious conviction and shove it ... I thought mixing religion and politics was bad enough - leave it the hell out of my sport.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

look I'm not trying to shove religion down the throats of non believers but at the same time non believers need to show a bit of respect as well.

I wasn't saying there is a christian service on ANZAC day what I said is there is a service to talk about what the day is about and there should be one for good Friday to. Whether your a believer or not there is a reason that Good Friday is a public holiday.

I'm not suggesting a long service I'm suggesting a 5 minute service with someone like Father Bob Maguire who is a Storm ambassador and respected by people of different age groups.

As a christian and a storm fan I am all for Storm playing on good Friday providing that there is some recognition of what the day is about. I am not saying have a long service and shove it down the throats of non believers but it shouldn't be ignored. I think a 5 minute service is fair on both parties and a good compromise.

I know non believers on here are saying why should they have to put up with it and I accept that point but at the same time why should people like myself and many others who are Christians and Storm fans have to put up with no recognitionof what the day is about.

The club should be fair on everyone. I'm not the only person who has this belief so lets be fair on all and compromise
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well, while we are at it lets acknowledge Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim ... hell, why not significant Scientology days of significance?

Good Friday to me ... and to a large proportion of the Australian population has no significance other than the bestowment of a long weekend - praise your mythical god in your own time and don't push your claptrap on me.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mikey wrote:As a christian and a storm fan I am all for Storm playing on good Friday providing that there is some recognition of what the day is about. I am not saying have a long service and shove it down the throats of non believers but it shouldn't be ignored. I think a 5 minute service is fair on both parties and a good compromise.
My view is that if anyone wants recognition of what the day is about then go to church for that recognition, thats what Good Friday church services are for. The only religion relevant to Etihad is the religion called sport!
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Look us Christians pushing for this idea are respectful of non believers it would be nice to see the same respect shown in return rather then just bagging what other people believe.

When asked about good Friday football in the past people like Father Bob Maguire who is a Storm ambassador have said there fine with Good Friday Football as long as there is some sort of service pre game. Father Bob was on SEN this week saying something like "Lets have the service at the ground then enjoy the footy"

Singlematt I respect your opinion and as a Christian I believe good has given us the freedom of choice. I'm not talking about pushing it on people but this is a holy day and even if you don't agree with the Christian belief please show a bit of respect.

I know people say go to Church but on ANZAC day people don't say "Go to the dawn service and keep that away from sport" people show respect for a few minutes

There is a clear difference between shoving something down someone throat and asking people to be respectful on the most holly day of the year
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mikey wrote:I know people say go to Church but on ANZAC day people don't say "Go to the dawn service and keep that away from sport" people show respect for a few minutes
Good Friday and ANZAC Day are apples and pears. One is about one religion and the other is about two countries (the same two countries that make up the NRL) recognition of the involvement of their countrymen in war.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy I can't agree with you. I am by no way intending to downplay ANZAC day by saying this but whethr your a believer or not Jesus is the most famous and most spoken about person ever. I think what is done for ANZAC day is great and I have attended dawn services so I'm not downplaying it.

I'm Christian and not Catholic but speaking to someone who is Catholic I was told that many Catholic church services are held at 3pm on Good Friday.

So lets look at this another way. If people here there is no service they may elect to go to church and not attend the game. If people here there is going to be the chance for them to pay their respects whilst attend the game it nay swing them the other way therefore boosting our crowd numbers. Even if I was a non believer which I was 2 years ago I would have been more then happy to hold a servbice if it meant higher crowd numbers and a better image for the club.

At the end of the day surely at very worst there must be a way a compromise can be reached..
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Infact how about this as a compromise. If it turns out that more then a handful of people are opposed to a service on the ground maybe their could be a good Friday service in the victory room or one of the other rooms around the stadium. It can be announced on the ground and that way people that want to go can and people that don't don't have to here about it.

If a on ground service is deemed to be unreasonable surely then that is reasonable
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

If you want to recognise your day....go to a church and do it! Dont do it at footy.  Why should we be respectul ? The world would be alot better off without religion, it does more harm then good. Go read your fairytales at church (or at home if there are no services).....then go to the footy and cheer the boys on.

If your going to recognise christianity...then can i ask that we recgonise athiesm? can we all read a excerpt from the origin of speicies?