ISSIE Gone???????

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Religion comes first for Folau
By Josh Massoud
August 30, 2007 MELBOURNE sensation Israel Folau is poised to walk away from his burgeoning rugby league career to pursue a two-year long Mormon mission overseas.

Arguably the hottest prospect unearthed this season, the deeply religious 18-year-old has told The Daily Telegraph he could temporarily quit the game in just over 12 months.

"You've got be 18 or 19 to do the mission, so I guess it's something I'm thinking about along with my football career," Folau said.

"I've still got to make a decision about it for next year. It's possible I could do it next year."

Having burst on to the scene with 20 tries in his debut season, Folau is a hot tip to be crowned Rookie of the Year at next Tuesday nights Dally M Awards.

Carried out on thunderous thighs, his feats have prompted comparison with the great Mal Meninga.

But when it comes to fulfilling one of his religion's most fundamental requirements, the rampaging three-quarter isn't fazed by the stardom that awaits.

Should Folau decide to spread the message of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from next year, it is likely his mission will start after the season because he is contracted with the Storm until 2008.

"It's not something we have to do - it's up to the individual whether they go," Folau explained.

"Some of my brothers have done it, so there is a bit of pressure to go. My mum reckons I should go.

"I'll have to spend two years promoting the Mormon religion in another country or around Australia.

"It's something I've always planned to do, but now football has come along. At the end of the day it's entirely my decision whether I go or not."

Melbourne recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan - who scouted Folau in Brisbane three years ago - confirmed the mission could be imminent.

"It might happen next year - that is a possibility," O'Sullivan said.

Folau's best mate is Parramatta's Krisnan Inu - a fellow rookie star and Mormon.

The pair attended the same church in Sydney's south-west as children and, like Folau, Inu is also giving serious thought to suspending his career to complete the mission.

Folau said the pair had "not talked much" about undertaking the trip together.

It is understood Inu was intent on leaving before the current season and had to be convinced by Eels officials to stay.

Storm CEO Brian Waldron is similarly keen to retain Folau beyond next season.

"I think Israel is incredibly important, not only to Melbourne, but also rugby league," Waldron said.

"To grow the profile of the game we need heroes and there's no doubt Israel is developing a cult following on the back of what he has achieved this year."

From the Daily Telegraph this is not what we want I hope he stays on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am back again.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

grey sub wrote:From the Daily Telegraph this is not what we want I hope he stays on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daily Telegraph? Pfft!

Israel has said all along that he won't decide his future beyond his current contract until this season is finished as he doesn't want to be distracted for the finals preparation. Will he go or won't he? Sounds like even he doesn't know at this stage.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

He could always do his mission after the games at the social club......I'm sure there are lots of people needing 'saving'  ;-) :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote: He could always do his mission after the games at the social club......I'm sure there are lots of people needing 'saving'  ;-) :lol:
Yeah, usually its me who needs saving from you...  :P  (joke joyce)

On the topic at hand, its old news really. Those guys in Sydney must really be digging for some news these days...
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

that interview must have been done alot earlier this year
and they are just showing it now because melbournes the hot topic
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: that interview must have been done alot earlier this year
and they are just showing it now because melbournes the hot topic
It's come up now because He's talking about it now.The kid has always been upfront about his commitment to his belief.
I don't envy him choosing a decision,but admire his strength at facing it  =D>
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I'd be devastated if he chose to leave, because getting back into it would take a little while. He'd be 21 or 22 on his return, still young, but having to gain entry back into the system. However, if he chose to take this mission, you'd have nothing but the highest respect for his convictions to his ethics and morals (sorry Joey - you DON'T qualify!).

I just hope he doesn't end up doing an Orgasmo! :)
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mission! He's already on a mission, a mission from god to be the greatest player in rugby league.
Oh well, if he chose to spreed the word of christianity in another country, I hope its not Iraq or Afghanistan.
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

pauliedude wrote: Mission! He's already on a mission, a mission from god to be the greatest player in rugby league.
Oh well, if he chose to spreed the word of christianity in another country, I hope its not Iraq or Afghanistan.
I wouldn't think they would send him to a country at war.  I think I read somewhere it may be PNG.
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It was supposed to be joke! HeHe
betweenthelies
Squall
Squall

religion and especially christianity stuffs everything up hey
Dance and laugh and play. ignore the message we convey.
It seems we’re only here to entertain.
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

LOL @ Orgasmo!

Great movie!

Personally I'd rather he did a "Latter Days" (an even better movie about a guy who gets a mormon next door to come out of the closet)

Seriously though, he doesn't seem like the sort of guy that could do the mormon door to door thing and actually convert anyone or convince anyone of anything.  He's reserved, softly spoken, and not especially attractive.  If someone opens the door and doesn't slam it in his face, I can't see how he'd inspire anyone to listen to him.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mrpc wrote: not especially attractive. 
It pains me so, to hear such blasphomy against Melbourne's favourite son.

It is my responsibility...nah, DUTY. To turn gay if Israel ever rocks up to my door.

Im not sure about everyone else, i was hanging on his every word when Matty was interviewing him last friday. Very well spoken, true ambassador for the game.

I'll eat my hat the day he gets done for ecstacy in a seedy nightclub!

Ziiiiiiiiing!
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Andy wrote:
pauliedude wrote: Mission! He's already on a mission, a mission from god to be the greatest player in rugby league.
I wouldn't think they would send him to a country at war.  I think I read somewhere it may be PNG.
And PNG is not Dangerous????  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am back again.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

It is my responsibility...nah, DUTY. To turn gay if Israel ever rocks up to my door.
But won't you be horribly disappointed when he doesn't return your affections? ;)
LOL @ Orgasmo!
Okay - time to gross out. It's late... Boom & Issi, Cooper, Ginglis & what the heck, Lima.... DVDA!