Peter Brock - dead (reports)

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

MOTOR racing champion driver Peter Brock is reported to have died in a racing accident in Western Australia, according to Sky News.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 02,00.html

Don't say it's true! Two champions of Australia both die in the same week doing what they love.... Tragic.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just heard it on the radio. This is just unbelievable. What a week...
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

You wouldn't want to be a famous aussie doing something you love at this moment in time  :-\

Vale, Brocky!!  :'(
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What a tragic week for well known Australians.

Both innovators in their beloved fields and due to their work many people and areas have benefited from with regards to safety.

Shows you can't take anything for granted.

You'll be missed by many Brocky
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

We arrived in our hotel room and Luke turned the TV on and a noise came from him, I looked and he was as white as a ghost.  Across the screen it was saying that Brock had been killed in a car accident in WA, unbelievable and tragic. Both Luke and Peter idolised Brocky, especially Peter and it is indeed a very sad day for Australian Motor Sport.

RIP Brocky, Bathurst will remember, and honor you.

Thoughts and prayers to his children and loved ones.

Bunnies & Stormboy
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
lotti

RIP Peter Perfect.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Pete would never rest.
He's now competing on another plane                05
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How bad is this?  Just as Australia was trying to come to terms with the tragedy of losing Steve Irwin, now we lose Brocky as well.  :cry: :sad11:

It makes the 8th of September an even sadder day for me, as Brock passed away on the anniversary of the death of another of my heroes - legendary The Who drummer Keith Moon, who died in 1978 (R.I.P. Keith) :sad7:

Eyewitness story
September 8, 2006 - 4:41PM

A witness has tearfully described the accident that killed racing car driver Peter Brock in Western Australia.

A spectator at the Targa West rally in Western Australia, identified only as Jock, told Macquarie Radio that he was standing just metres from the site of the accident.

"The back end just slid out and that was it, it was all over," he said.

"The car didn't roll, the back end just slid out from behind him and slammed straight into a tree and it got him right in the driver's door.''

Car 'a complete write-off'

Choking back tears, Jock said he believed Brock would have died within 'maybe two minutes of impact' and that 'not a thing' could have been done to save him.

"The car is a complete write-off," he said.

"The co-driver was taken away in an ambulance with severe stomach injuries, unfortunately."

The witness said it had rained this morning but the road through the treacherous bend was drying out.

He said Brock lost it a little on the first part of the bend before straightening up.

"The back end (then) just seemed to hit a bit of ... gravel on the road that the other cars had thrown up and he just lost it, straight into a tree."

He added: "I didn't realise who it was at first, then I realised who it was and I was just heart-broken."

Brock, 61, was driving with co-driver Mick Hone in a Daytona Coupe. when his car hit the tree.

Hone was taken to hospital where he is in a stable condition.

The Targa West, which began yesterday, takes place over four days and is divided into two categories, competition and challenge, the latter catering for relatively standard specification road cars.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) this afternoon confirmed it would be conducting a full investigation into the incident.

"In the meantime, CAMS and event officials are working with the relevant civil authorities," CAMS said in a statement.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends."

"Peter Perfect"

Nicknamed "Peter Perfect" and "King of the Mountain", Brock did his first Holden television commercial in 1972, spruiking the Monaro GTS 4-door.

Brock's first marriage was to Miss Australia 1973 Michelle Downes, but the couple divorced without any children.

He then spent 28 years married to Beverley, but the two separated last year.

The pair has three children - sons Jamie and Robert and daughter Alexandra.

At the time of his death he was in a relationship with Julie Bamford, a woman he met 20 years ago through his wife Beverley.

Also, Beverley wrote a book about her husband entitled Peter Brock - Living with a Legend, which was published in 2004.

Thanks for the memories Peter. 

The king is dead - long live the king.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Peter your were always a gentleman and always had time for your fans, young and old.  You were an idol of mine when I was growning up and always made time for me, supose you will see your dad, Geoff, again who you missed heaps and you never wanted to grown old anyway, you  always said that, you made a big point of it at your 40th birthday party.  IMO you are the best driver Australia has ever produced and you were not interested in overseas racing you hated leaving Australia.  I will miss you dearly every time I look at the signed posters or model cars.  I just had an SMS from a mate that the first words Brocky will hear in heaven is "CRIKEY your not dead too are you???"

RIP Peter Brock a champion and a legend forever
I am back again.
Rabble No 7
Squall
Squall

An absolute Tragedy.  We all grew up worshipping Peter Perfect.  Ahh they days of the Toranas, then the Commodores a quick stint in the Cosworth before back to the Commodores.  Was a sad time when I heard.  Unfortunately i dont follow Holdens these days as ive followed your protege Lowndes to the Ford camp. 

Farewell Brocky you bloody legend!!!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Heaven is going to be a pretty noisy place this week  ;)  :'(
lotti

Bathurst officials are considering a memorial for Brock.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote: Heaven is going to be a pretty noisy place this week  ;)  :'(
O Yeah !! Aryton Senna - Gelignite Jack Murray - Peter Perfect head up an elite group
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

The sound of 'vroom vroom' & 'crickey' will be heard all over the place  :D
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And Peter "Possum" Bourne will be driving in the Rally of Heaven, with Michael Park as his co-driver...sliding sideways on the clouds...:wink:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH