Wallabies/other Rugby Test Matches thread

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just caught the last half hour or so of the Wallabies v Wales match (the James Bevan Cup), it was pretty tight & tense. The Wallabies seemed to be making hard work of this match, but the Welsh were really giving 100 percent. Wales were up 17-12 at the break, & they were up 23-22 about 10 min from time, but were denied a famous victory as the Wallabies stole a try right on 80 minutes. The Welsh can hold their heads high, they were unlucky to lose this one.

Wallabies leave it late
May 26, 2007

STEPHEN Hoiles scored a try after the final siren to earn Australia a 29-23 win over Wales in Saturday night's rugby Test match at Telstra Stadium.

The inexperienced Wallabies, missing big names Lote Tuqiri, Chris Latham and Stephen Larkham, ran in four tries to two to clinch the first of two Tests against Wales for the James Bevan trophy.

Wycliff Palu, Nathan Sharpe and Matt Giteau scored Australia's first three tries before replacement forward Stephen Hoiles crashed over on full-time to clinch the match for the Wallabies after they were down 23-22.

Centre Stirling Mortlock kicked three conversions and a penalty goal for the home team.

For Wales, Gareth Thomas and Jamie Robinson scored tries while James Hook booted two conversions, two penalty goals and a drop goal.

Australia and Wales meet again next Saturday at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

Wales had lead 17-12 at halftime after a horror first half from Australian debutants Julian Huxley and Sam Norton Knight.

Despite a weight of possession, poor passing from fullback Huxley and five-eighth Norton-Knight led to Wales' first two tries.

Huxley threw two wildly wayward passes at the back before he had one intercepted for Wales' second try.

Before that, a Norton-Knight pass had put Mortlock under pressure and indirectly resulted in the Dragons' first.

The Wallabies were off to the worst possible start when the visitors crossed in just the second minute.

With Australia mounting their first attacking raid 20 metres out, a Norton-Knight pass was spilled by Mortlock and toed through by Wales.

Giteau won the ensuing 80m foot-race but couldn't control the ball with Wales skipper Thomas on the spot to grab James Hook's pass and crash over, the conversion making it 7-0.

Huxley could only find Welsh outside centre Robinson with his errant pass in the 16th minute, the No.13 running 65m to post the visitors' second try against the run of play and a 14-0 lead.

Hook extended the lead to 17-0 with a 20th minute penalty goal.

Australia clawed its way back with a try to Palu, after a clever pass from prop Matt Dunning, in the 24th and made it 17-12 when Nathan Sharpe barged over in the 31st.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
The Man
Squall
Squall

A VERY good test between Fiji and Japan , with the Japs up 15 -3 at halftime only to lost 30 to 15

The Wallabies played like a team that was together for the first time in not a bad game, it will be a better game next week in Brisbane

While the Boks rolled a 3 XV Poms side that found some ticker in the second half
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Why the Wallabies are in trouble....
While the Wallabies showed impressive character to recover from a 17-0 deficit and escape with a 29-23 win after the hooter in Sydney last weekend, only five members of the side reached the performance targets set by the coaches.

One of those must have been impressive lock Nathan Sharpe, a 10-run, nine-tackle force, who led a slick lineout which will be boosted tonight by the return of Dan Vickerman.
If those are considered impressive stats, then Australian Rugby is in serious trouble.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Biku
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I don't hear much talk about the NZ game at the G! What is wrong with you people?  I've got my seat, ne1 else?
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tell it to someone who cares...

Well well well, look who's here to share (read: ram down everyone else's throat) it's boundless knowledge of the other rugby code too...no doubt it will be sitting in the commentary box @ the 'G, showing Greg Clark & company how to call a rugby union match. And I'm sure it will grace us with an in-depth, expert, play-by-play analysis of the entire 80 minutes. After all, it's such a guru on everything, especially sports that it slags off in the Victory forum...kids these days, I don't know...

Wallabies sense weak spot
By Peter Jenkins
June 30, 2007

AUSTRALIA senses a weakness in the formidable New Zeland armoury after the All Blacks were forced to revamp their backline for tonight's Tri-Nations showdown at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

An injury mishap in training for fullback Leon MacDonald triggered a dramatic late reshuffle for the blockbuster and the unveiling of a centre pairing that has spent just 40 minutes together in the Test arena.

After MacDonald's withdrawal, Mils Muliaina shifts from outside centre to fullback, Luke McAlister moves from inside to outside centre and Aaron Mauger returns in the No.12 jumper.

The wildcard factor is McAlister, a polished ball player but a rookie in the position acknowledged as having the most crucial defensive responsibilities in the game.

Wallaby skipper Stirling Mortlock said openly last night that McAlister would be targeted - the same way the Wallabies aimed their attack at MacDonald when he was used as a stop-gap outside centre in the memorable World Cup semi-final of 2003.

A Mortlock intercept helped propel the Wallabies to victory in what remains one of just two successes they have managed over the All Blacsk in the past 10 meetings between the sides.

"Certainly them having McAlister playing at No.13, a position that's slightly foreign to him, gives us an opportunity to go there," Mortlock said.

"It would be remiss of us not to test out the guy.

"In the World Cup we managed to find out or test out Leon a number of times. Every position has slightly different nuances."

McAlister has carved his career primarily at inside centre. His only experience one spot wider was a first-half appearance against Canada two weeks ago.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry admits MacDonald's withdrawal was untimely and that McAlister would need to adapt quickly in defence in a Test the Wallabies must win to have any chance of reclaiming the elusive Bledisloe Cup.

"It is the biggest challenge because (outside) centre is probably the key defensive spot in the backline," Henry said.

"It's a higher workrate position and you've got to make decisions on things like second-play runners (and fullbacks joining the attack as an extra man)."

But Mortlock warned there was one advantage for the All Blacks in the elevation of Mauger to form a midfield triumvirate alongside McAlister and five-eighth Daniel Carter.

"It gives them three ball players in their backline," he said.

"While there are opportunities for us with the ball, it increases their attacking strengths as well.

"It's a bit of a risk but it opens a huge amount of opportunities for them. Most sides are lucky to have two ball players."

While the MacDonald injury casts new shape on a Melbourne clash where 12.5 points start for the Wallabies has increasing appeal, Mortlock admitted the most important objective for the Australians was to further build their World Cup belief.

"There's no doubt we've targeted this game as a very important one moving forward," he said.

Adam Ashley-Cooper, a shock selection on the wing for tonight's showdown, is poised to sign a four-year deal to keep him based in Australia.

He was considering a move to Europe but his emergence over the past month has brought an upgraded ARU offer.
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Half Time: All Blacks 15 Wallabies 6 (should've been 15-9 but Mortlock just missed a late penalty goal)

Edit: 15 min left, NZ 15-13 Australia, the All Blacks lose forward Carl Hayman for 10 minutes & let in a try...game on!

Edit: 7 min to go, Wallabies hit the front 20-15, they score a great try under the posts through Scott Staniforth after great lead up play from captain Stirling Mortlock. NZ have leaked 2 tries whilst Hayman has been sitting down...
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A tense finish, the Wallabies prevailing 20-15. The All Blacks had won 5 straight against the Wallabies before tonight...and to their credit, NZ made it tough for the locals, as per usual. But well done to the Wallabies on a gutsy win, not many people gave them a chance against the might of the All Blacks...

[glow=yellow,2,300]Wallabies 20[/glow] (A Ashley-Cooper, S Staniforth tries; M Giteau 2 con; S Mortlock 2 pen)
[glow=black,2,300]All Blacks 15[/glow] (T Woodcock, R Gear tries; D Carter con, pen)
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

im not a massive fan of rah rah but that was a brillant game to watch even though it was shown at 10:40
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Springboks have let a 17-0 lead slip, eventually losing 25-17 to the Wallabies at Telstra Stadium. Australia retains the Mandela Plate, and gives scrum half George Gregan & flyhalf Stephen Larkham a win in their very last test match on Australian soil.
I had a good feeling about South Africa this year, but that suddenly seems to be evaporating for some reason...  :?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

Home wins against SA and NZ where do you think it puts us on wc stakes?
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I watched the game against the kiwis (well - mostly in between channel surfing) but I'm not convinced with the cohesion of the team. They're still making silly mistakes, can't keep possession, and I have no idea how they won that game. I also have no idea what the rules are... so I'm no judge! ;)
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

Buzz wrote: I watched the game against the kiwis (well - mostly in between channel surfing) but I'm not convinced with the cohesion of the team. They're still making silly mistakes, can't keep possession, and I have no idea how they won that game. I also have no idea what the rules are... so I'm no judge! ;)
I have no clue on the rules either lol
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well there's that many different things you can be penalised for in rugby it's bewildering, and it's a very defense & goalkicking-oriented game.  Rules of "rah-rah" (abridged)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH