24 test positive and still nothing done

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stormwarning[c] wrote:
Tigger wrote: Ahh, thank god the NRL guys never do anything stoopid............................ :lol: :lol:
Thank god we have administrators with balls...on these sort of issue...
I take this back now the NRL is looking at heading down the same track of the AFL on the drugs policy.  :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

And it ain't gunna go away any time soon Stormwarning.  Kingy wrote a column on it today in the Sun.

I received an interesting email today about other eagles on the same path as Ben, I won't post it, I don't wanna get in trouble.
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

yeah I think it is if you watched the footy show speculation no concrete evidence
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Several more players named today. Including one that has been in recent trouble particularly with a taxi. Daniel Kerr has been taped in phone taps (played on ABC 774 news at 11pm) with him talking to a convicted drug dealer about how it's been making him feel. Tapes also involved a former Eagles, now Kangaroos player and a Perth and now Sydney Razorback basketball player. Andrew Demetriou was apparently told about these tapes in 2003 by a former AFL investigator (now police officer). Demetriou, it is claimed, decided it was a club matter and not to pursue it further. AFL now claims this is the first they've heard of the tapes.

I was also listening to Feiny on SEN who has basically condoned ecstasy as a drug, and put it in a separate class from meth-amphetamine. Still illegal drugs.

Whilst the AFL may claim that "only" 24 have tested positive - how many players do they test? There are some that get tested 5 times in one year - and then not tested for 2 years. It's been asked that if the police in booze buses can swab your tongue and find out the results in 10 minutes, why can't they perform this on every player in every club? Surely that'll not only catch them, but deter them?

AFLPA will surely come out and defend the players by saying this is a community problem also - don't just focus on the players. I'm sorry. A rookie player gets paid between $40,000 and $60,000 plus match payments. Top line players earn in excess of $400,000 per year leaving the average AFL player earning approx $200,000 per year (according to 2004 figures). That's four to five times the national average wage from 2004 ABS statistics.

So the average player, earning 4-500% higher than the average Australian, with a great majority of spare time, no goals other than to train and turn up on game day? Is it any surprise? But the AFLPA will protect their own and defend the actions of their members and claim it's a society thing and they're under all this pressure. Let's compare that to federal politicians who earn a base salary of $119,000, and the Prime Minister who earns in excess of $250,000 (can't find current figure).

Ministers lose their jobs for owning shares.

Ben Cousins gets suspended for playing under the influence of drugs.

And who is it that has the respect of the public? Gets paid more? Works harder?