World Cup qualifiers

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
lotti

Thunderstruck wrote:
lotti wrote:If the Socceroos win the World Cup the Wallabies will be under pressure to win their one.
:withstupid: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing5:

NOT EVEN IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS LITTLE GIRL!!!!
It could happen, the Swans have won a premiership. Don't you want the Wallabies to bring our Bill back?
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

lotti wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:
lotti wrote:If the Socceroos win the World Cup the Wallabies will be under pressure to win their one.

It could happen, the Swans have won a premiership. Don't you want the Wallabies to bring our Bill back?

:lol: :roll: :shock: :lol:

Bring Bill back?
The Wannabies won't win Jack until Jones and Gregan are sacked.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

lotti wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:

A cup arbitrarily named after a person who was named in an unverifiable story years after said person's death by someone who was not present at the supposed historic event that was never historic in the first place.

Couldn't care any less.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well I could talk about how amazing it was to be there on Wednesday but reading some replies I doubt if anyone would really care.
I'll just point out for me, a fan of most sports and someone who fails to see how all codes can't live harmoniously, it was one of the three best events I have witnessed. Up there with the 2004 GF and the Melbourne Cup this year.

I can see now why Kewell was given the entire game in the first leg, simply for match fitness, he was amazing out there, back to his best.
I also realised why Viduka was elected to be switched, doesn't matter how well he goes for his club side he simply can not turn that form into goals for the Socceroos. While the captaincy has turned him into a great leader of the side it is still the same old story when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

And words fail me for Schwarzer, basically the opposite of his club team mate I was concerned about the continued abilty to deny the Urugayans the away goal that would have booked their place in Germany. I was so neverous I couldn't watch the shoot out, but the crowd told me what was happening .... never again will I doubt him!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

lotti wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:

It could happen, the Swans have won a premiership.
ROFLMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I had read that comment about actually winning either World Cup I would have also told you that you were dreaming ... but the comeback "the Swans won the premiership" that's priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd have no reply to that one.

Unlike the Wallabies the success of the Socceroos is in simply qualifying, neither code will be pressured by the results of the other.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I doubt if anyone would really care
Don't misunderstand me here - I watched the game and was enthralled by the spectacle, not the least was the Aussie crowd. Soccer for me is a boring game - if they decided to replace the game with a penalty shootout - then I'd find that interesting! And no - the comparison cannot be made with League. League has maybe 3 or 4 draws a season. Soccer might had up to half of the games end as draws (not quantified - just guestimate).

However - if Australia is playing I take an interest. Even the Wallabies interest me (despite parts of the game I find yech!). I watch the Australian Lawn Bowls teams (indoor and outdoor), Soccer, International Rules, NRL, and so forth. It's a matter of national pride.

I do think however that soccer's resurgence and particularly it's prominence in children's sport is due to parents not wishing little davie or little becky getting into a body contact sport. I mean - netball has more body contact than soccer. Did anyone see that Uruguayan that went down clutching his face (no facial contact), and in between his spead fingers you could easily see him looking to see if the ref was watching and even more disgustingly - wince in "agony" when he was sure he was watching!

I would hate to see Australia go down that path - the slightest hint of a contact within 3 metres sends someone down crying for 3 minutes. Just watch Matthew Lloyd and you'll understand my disgust at soccer tactics entering AFL.

But the Socceroos are in the World Cup - and whilst soccer is a game I find boring, full of pansy-shin-guard-wearing-"watch-me-scream-in-agony"-then-get-up-without-pain players who are applauded for their antics - they are Australian. And for that I will support them. Even if they were the ice-hole fishing team, I'd tip my hat in their direction.

But gawd help me if soccer ever becomes a real force in this country.
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

I understood perfectly, you found it boring I found it edge of the seat nailbiting football for 120 minutes.
Then it goes beyond nailbiting to something so scary I'm unable to watch due to the fear that the last 120 minutes counted for nothing (well excluding the goal that put us level of course).
In comparison to the very negative tactics the Urugayans employ, the Aussies would rarely go down and stay down unless they were hurt and as the picture posted on the previous page show you can get develop some very bad injuries from dangerous tackles.
one eyed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

soccer players!! they are all drama queens
what a uninteresting game
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

As a game it really was a fairly boring affair. Only the hype and some of Schwartzer's keeping made it anything special at all.

And is Harry Kewell really Greg Louganis in disguise?
No wonder the Poms call Harry "The milk man".
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:The only reason soccer (I will always call it soccer) is so popular around the world is that they haven't seen or played a great game like AFL or NRL. :D
This is probably the case for most cities but I don't think it works for the town of Wigan.
I was at the JJB stadium for a match where the home side was coming up against title contenders Leeds in 2004 and the crowd that day was at least half of the one watching the Premier League match against Arsenal at the moment.

However if you can appreciate attacking soccer you might have actually enjoyed the first 45 mins of this game 3-2 at half time with two of the best strikes you will see one from either side. Only a basic error from Aussie keeper John Filan separates the sides so far.
endike
Squall
Squall

I.m with you Christy, great game of football, it had everything and like you I was there. these critics of the Beautiful Game say the same old same old. Divers, actors and scoreless draws, it is because they cannot talk about great shots, passes , tactics defence etc, because they have been raised on a diet of "Rules" and cricket. Buzz , just ask any non Aussie, no any non Victorian about "Rules" and they will say the same as you, "dont you know about football, you do not have to pick it up to kick it". Rugby League, The greatest game of all, after years of being stifled is now growing.but remember, not all can play Rugby or rules due to physical restraints, Football they can. Go Christabel :D
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I don't recall saying that Wednesday's game was boring or any such thing - "I watched the game and was enthralled by the spectacle" is what I said. I did also say that Soccer is a boring game and for me it IS! I have been raised on a diet of Aussie Rules football, and recently converted to Rugby League football. But from there, it's downhill. I've been to two soccer matches overseas (left one at half time) - it's just not for me! I watch the Superbowl because of what it is - the superbowl. There's just not enough action in 90 minutes of soccer to keep me entertained - the "great shots, passes, tactics defence etc" might make up 20% of the whole match.

AFL / NRL - it's a combination more than just the ability to move a round ball with your foot, or get your head in the way. It's both foot and hand skills and you'd be struggling to find any european soccer player capable of doing what comes natural to our athletes. And it is the skill that enthralls me, the contest and believe it or not - the SCORING! I love the up and down nature of our games. The way we can have a see-sawing change of the lead right until the final siren.

But that's just me - I think soccer is great to watch during the world cup (at least you don't need to always pay attention and can get more beers that way) and even better with Australia in it. It's going to continue to be the sport of choice for parents. But I pray that the kids of today and tomorrow will view soccer more than just the multi-million transfer fees, and see it as a non-contact boring game! :) That's because I want the kids of Australia to play a game for Australians.

And if that doesn't inflame some people... I guess nothing will! :D
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

endike wrote:.....these critics of the Beautiful Game say the same old same old. Divers, actors and scoreless draws, it is because they cannot talk about great shots, passes , tactics defence etc, because they have been raised on a diet of "Rules" and cricket....
Yawn. :wink:

It was a boring game. There were a few good shots and some fair skills on display, but very little real finesse. It was far too important a game for the kind of free flowing soccer I like to watch and that was illustrated in the lack of effective attack. The only thing it really had going for it was the amount of tension and suspense over who would win - if you think that was a fine example of the "beautiful game", you're kidding yourself.

As for being a Johnny-come-lately to the game - I've been watching since long before my beloved (and sadly diminished) Forest won back-to-back European Cups.

And yes, Kewell is a serial diver. That seriously diminishes my appreciation of him as a player.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I can't believe all the morons that are suddenly saying that the Socceroos winning a match which qualifies the team a berth in the 32 country World Cup competition in Germany next year rates as the best ever Australian sporting achievement and claiming that this signifies the first step in soccer taking over all other football codes in this country. :roll:
endike
Squall
Squall

Surandy... I agree, there is an amount of hysteria after the win, but as the game has been stifled for far to long, football lovers are enjoying there turn as they see the A-League kick on, the move to Asia confed and other positives taking shape. Just turn 3aw or SEN on and listen to the "Rules" culture , amazing................................................................................... Buzz, comparing European football players to "Rules" players who can remove eye sockets and smash jaws, is like comparing a bull to a gazelle. I could never , like millions around the world, understand what is clever about jumping into someones back with a knee up to threaten a spinal injury, yet get penalised for a push, or sit on someones head to take a catch, but be penalised for a hand on the shoulder. Ariel ping-pong ia how NSW and QLD name it. It has had over 120 years to convince these states, and still failing to make gains comparable to other codes.............................................................. TC you dont know what you want, you always appear to be right about the wrong thing :D Go Christabell