World Club Series

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Why is there no information about this upcoming series in the mainstream media. I am confused by the title World Club Series and the World Club Challenge. How were the teams representing Australia chosen? OK I know the Rabbits are there because of last year premiership winners but what of the others.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rabbits cause they won and Dragons and broncos cause they are stupid enough to want to...

Seriously....all clubs were ask if they would and only three clubs put their hand up...just happens one team who said yes was the rabbitohs the others were the dragons and broncos

Beats me why you would want to trave 16000km to play one game as a trial if it means nothing but so be it...the dragons can be tired for when they play us I don't mind
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So I'm trying really hard to understand why they've decided to have two practice games tacked onto the world club challenge and call it a series.

If it was the top 3 vs the top 3 then maybe you could see their point but the dragons came 11th and the broncos 8th last year.

If you want it to mean something as a preseason comp then send all NRL teams to England one year and vice versa the next and play it like the NAB Cup in the AFL used to be done with either pools and winners advancing or knockout - if you need extra teams to make it work, invite the top second tier teams from that country to make up the numbers (they'd probably beat the poms anyway).

I saw somewhere that apparently the NRL teams are now 'a step closer to lifting the world club series trophy', even if this involved the Storm getting some silverware I believe I would have trouble giving a rat's about it.

Besides which, until you play the two premiers against each other straight after the season ends so that they have the same personnel, all you are actually proving is which side has a) taken the concept more seriously and/or b) had the better pre-season.