Bulldogs winger Turner retires

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... UU3MYwaySM

Canterbury-Bankstown's Steve Turner has announced his immediate retirement from the NRL due to an ongoing knee injury.

The 28-year-old former Penrith and Melbourne winger, who played one State of Origin game for NSW in 2008, missed the bulk of the 2012 season with the injury.

NRL SuperCoach 2013

NRL SuperCoach. This year it's personal...
Turner played in the Bulldogs' first two games this season but the debilitating injury has continued to hamper his ability to train and the Bulldogs released a statement confirming his retirement on Sunday.

"My body just isn't holding up for me anymore," said Turner in statement.

"It's unfortunate for it to end like this but I have no other choice with how much that it is mentally and physically draining me.

"It's so hard when your head is telling you that you want to do something but your body just doesn't let you.

"I actually had some extra knee surgery just before Christmas that no one knew about and I've been finding it hard enough to train let alone being able to go out and play as best as I can."

Turner said he would stay on with the club in a media assistant capacity, as he did in 2012 while sidelined with the injury.

Coach Des Hasler commended Turner for making the call.

"Steve's decision has been made in line of his team and club first," Hasler said.

"It is clearly a reflection of the individual. He will be sorely missed because of his professionalism and experience but the club is hopeful that he will stay on in some capacity."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Onya Zappa, all the best
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bummer, always a favourite
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lets hope he comes Thursday night
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Turner will be there on Thursday, confirmed on SEN tonight.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

was he there, i thought he would get a lap of honour or something similar
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He was in the box with Des and storms rooms after the game
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i would've liked for him to be presented to the crowd, deserved to be recognised by our fans