Big name NRL player, fielding AFL offer

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

According to the AFL footy show, there is a big name NRL player currently viewing a AFL contract offer. Will be talking about it more later in the show tonight, interesting developments.

Storm player?
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

Player in question is Israel Folau, has been offered a $3 million/3 year deal to join Western Sydney AFL club.

Apparently Izzy's management contacted the AFL & he has already been put under the watchful eye of AFL representatives, they believe he is able to make the switch.

Will be interesting to see if it's all true & the AFL come out stating that.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The AFL are tragic. They brag of having x amount of juniors, registered players and such yet still have to rely on stars from rugby league to try and get a toehold in rugby league mad areas...
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why can they pay an unknown talent 1m per season FFS.

What is the NRL doing so wrong where the AFL is doing it soooo right :frigginAngryIcon:
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The two new AFL clubs, Gold Coast and North Sydney are allow to get  X amount of big names to get people through the gates for X amount of dollars, (not sure of the excat amounts) and this amount is not included in the salary cap for the first few years.  It is called a setting up exemption to the salary cap.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just like the storm used to get
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Eagle wrote: Just like the storm used to get
Have a real careful look at your roster mate....
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Errr douchebag much? i was reffering to the salary cap concession that the storm
used to have for players having to move to MELBOURNE cause its aweful and away from friends/family
,talk shit after you research what the lima lima lima duck that could mean next time? how bout we try that?

Yes,at one stage the Storm used to have a concession,they could spend more than everyone else
BECAUSE THE NRL ALLOWED IT!!! It was to move talent down there so theyd be competitive

Funny how i know more about your own club than you do? Hows that manly blood feel coursing through
the veins of the storm btw? Frank Stanton CEO is what im reffering to,youll do well with him,good buy
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

As far as I can recall that concession was only for 1 or 2 years and nothing like the concessions granted to the Lions and Swans who are still getting concessions, albeit on a smaller scale now  and of course the two new franchises GC and GSW.
Last edited by CooperCronk on Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

i thought it was winding down around 2005-2008
could be wrong tho but i know they had it at some stage
Phil "Gus" Gould

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Eagle wrote: i thought it was winding down around 2005-2008
Not so certain now, are we "douchebag". To steal a quote; "...talk shit after you research ".

"More than everyone else"? Have a look at the amount of money certain clubs (e.g. St George) were paying in the late nineties to enable them to keep their stars; Storm never came close.  Ribot was arguing for concessions long before your 2005 - 2008; back in 2000 in fact, when your club's bastard child (the Beagles) coaxed him away with offers of ridiculous amounts of cash and the promise of "going home".

Before you keep shooting your mouth off, how about you provide some evidence.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lol funny thing is your flaming someone who was thinking that the storm drama unfolded from 2 facets

The superstars theyve built and the winding down of the concession that was given to the storm to lure
players to gloom city to make a competitive team in the first bloody place
Phil "Gus" Gould

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Eagle wrote: Lol funny thing is your flaming someone ....
You started the abuse mate.
....who was thinking that the storm drama unfolded from 2 facets

The superstars theyve built and the winding down of the concession that was given to the storm to lure
players to gloom city to make a competitive team in the first bloody place
Nah, there weren't actually ever any concessions. The only thing we had was a ruling which allowed clubs in the NRL to reduce their player payments down to the salary cap over (I think) 3 years, and Storm as a new team got to take players at their previous values.

You know, apart from founding players the two biggest names signed by the Storm in their entire history have been Steve Kearney (second season) and Brett Finch.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Brett Finch was overrated anyway all his ever done that ive seen as good (Like you see from Slater,Stewart etc) was a 44metre drop goal
WOW!
Phil "Gus" Gould

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Eagle wrote: i thought it was winding down around 2005-2008
You know sweet fark all! You could be wrong.... and are.

Ribot was campaigning for cap concessions around 2001-2003 and was constantly turned down. He quit as CEO in 2004 in the fallout from neglecting to report an alleged sexual assault to the NRL.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]