The Matty Johns Show

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Apparently this show debuts tonight on Channel 7.

Like Channel NEIN, Channel 7 dud's Melbourne viewers by putting this on at midnight. It's not live sports so there's no excuse for not showing it earlier on either their main channel or their second digital channel.

Any opinions about this new show from anyone that's had a chance to watch it yet?
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

7 > 9.  Same old.

Watching the show right now.  Its fine with me but I bet it will get spanked by a lot of others.
stormfan
Squall
Squall

I thought it was pretty good - not much talking about actual football though. My biggest criticism would be that they tried to squeeze too many segments in. I think if they cut 1 or 2 out and then made the others a bit longer, it woud be better.

Still no mention of the Storm though!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i thought i was really good

u could tell matty was a little worried though
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought it was good also, he was the one holding the footy show together for the past few years.........

I would like to see him win the logi over the footy show,  that would be so funny.. :lol:
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

source NRL.com
Almost 600,000 viewers in Sydney and Brisbane watched The Matty Johns Show with the league-based program out-rating Nine's rival The Footy Show by about 300,000 viewers.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

stormfan wrote: I thought it was pretty good - not much talking about actual football though. My biggest criticism would be that they tried to squeeze too many segments in. I think if they cut 1 or 2 out and then made the others a bit longer, it woud be better.

Were you watching?

Brief mention when Matty & Webke were doing their tips. Both picked Storm to win.

I didn't mind it, was better than The Footy Show although they came across as a bit nervous and awkward. I liked the Kirk's Backyard segment with Terry Campese.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I thought the show was alright but seemed very rushed. Too many segments, too many character driven segments too.
I think it showed how nervous Matty was so give it a couple of weeks and he'll probably relax more. I felt they needed
someone else on the desk with Matty & Webke - even if it is to be Jason Stevens (but he wasn't exactly on the desk
with them and it wasn't for the entire show). I felt it needed a bit more league content but I doubt they'll be able to
show any or much footage because ch nein won't let them (same reason as ch 7 won't let ch nein for the AFL footy show).

It will be interesting to see how the show goes over the next few weeks.

Oh, and when I first saw the broadcast time for here in Melbourne I was a bit peeved however I then realised they've
purposely put it up against ch nein's Footy Show - probably in all markets.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

actully its not up against the footy show (only in melbourne) its like the bounce. its on at 730
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote: actully its not up against the footy show (only in melbourne) its like the bounce. its on at 730
hmmm... ok... I thought I read somewhere just recently that it was meant to be up against the Footy Show
in the northern states too. I never checked the northern TV guides to confirm that though. Nevertheless, I
dare say Ch7 still purposely put it up against the Footy Show here in Melbourne. There really is no other
reason for it. It can't be just a coincidence.
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

In Brisbane it was on 7:30 and the footy show is on at 9:30.
stormfan
Squall
Squall

Surandy wrote:
stormfan wrote: I thought it was pretty good - not much talking about actual football though. My biggest criticism would be that they tried to squeeze too many segments in. I think if they cut 1 or 2 out and then made the others a bit longer, it woud be better.

Were you watching?

Brief mention when Matty & Webke were doing their tips. Both picked Storm to win.

I didn't mind it, was better than The Footy Show although they came across as a bit nervous and awkward. I liked the Kirk's Backyard segment with Terry Campese.

I wasn't counring the preview of the next round as that's a token 2 minutes they have to give to every team.
Mrs Cooper Cronk
Squall
Squall

didnt bloody get it here over in the west!! Hate that!!!
[img]http://i20.tinypic.com/2wmf60p.jpg[/img]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought the show was weak and I didn't find the so-called "comedy" segments funny at all.  There wasn't enough talk about the teams and I didn't like how they crammed three or four games worth of tips together at the end.  I did like the segment with players at an audience member's house, though - but that's not enough to get me to watch the show again.  Saying that, I don't watch The Footy Show so it's not as if I'm looking for an alternative.
You had me at meat tornado.