Wayne Bennett's Logic

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html
SUPERCOACH Wayne Bennett has called for an overhaul of the finals system, declaring it outdated and offering little reward to the top four teams.

Despite finishing with the JJ Giltinan Shield on Friday night and a $100,000 cheque from the NRL as minor premiers, Bennett said the McIntyre system should be replaced by the AFL format.

"The NRL will come up with a different line,'' Bennett said. "But from a club perspective, which benefits from increased crowds in what has been the closest competition they've had for a long time, I believe a top four playing off against each other is the way to go."

"I think it's a fairer system, one versus four and two versus three and five plays eight and so on. Because of the effort that goes into those 26 weeks, the top four deserve a better position than the other four."

"I know I've canvassed them (NRL) with this before and they've got a set system they stick to and nothing's changed."

"But I think the top four is prestigious, it's the place to be if you can. It's a long journey, 26 rounds. Two and three deserve better reward as well."

"But in this competition, you could finish second and have an easier time of it than the team that finishes first and has to play eighth.''

"And right now, nobody is keen to play teams six, seven or eight. We saw it last year with the Warriors upsetting Melbourne.''

The first-placed Dragons will host either Parramatta or Penrith next Sunday at Kogarah's WIN Stadium.
I think it's ridiculous he wants to change it because he's scared of playing Parra. Get back to supercoaching.
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yep he wants a overhaul now that the Dragons have finished 1st and has gone wait up this isn't very fair?

It is pretty shit though and probably needs to be changed to the AFL system.   
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I love Cooper wrote:I think it's ridiculous he wants to change it because he's scared of playing Parra. Get back to supercoaching.
that's okay, if we had the AFL style instead of him bitching about the finals system he'd be bitching about Storm's tackling techniques. It's finals time so you always know that Bennett will be bitching in the media about something.
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

True lol. Do you guys really prefer the AFL system? I actually like this system.
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Im just not sure if there is a massive amount of advantage for the top 4 teams, i mean look at us last season, slipped up to the Warriors in the first week of the finals then were forced to come to Brisbane and play the Broncos to save our season. Also in a worse case scenario 3rd and 4th can be eliminated in the first round
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The AFL system rewards the top 4 with a guaranteed double chance and at least one home final.  The NRL system only rewards top 2, and the penalty for losing a final if 1 or 2 is severe as shown last year with us.
I think the McIntyre system is confusing, and the worst part is that if we were to lose on Friday, we won't know until Sunday if we are still alive or not, and that means the full extent of what is on the line in the game is never clear in week 1
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Didgi
Squall
Squall

Well to begin with, it's simple - keep winning, and then you get to and win the grandfinal. Pretty damn simple.

As I understand the AFL system the top 4 is guaranteed a second chance, as well as a home final, and a chance for 2. This would be an improvement on the NRL system where 3&4 can conceivably be knocked out. And as mentioned, Storm lost last year and then had to travel to save their season.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I love Cooper wrote: True lol. Do you guys really prefer the AFL system? I actually like this system.
Easily the AFL system.

But what the caoches should do is complain about the finals system BEFORE the finals, not when it is because there team is "disadvantaged".

Win, Bennet, and the NRL system is the best for the top 2 teams.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I did not hear any complaints from Bennett last year when the Storm finished first, lost to the Warriors and then had to play the Broncos at Suncorp.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Scooter wrote: I did not hear any complaints from Bennett last year when the Storm finished first, lost to the Warriors and then had to play the Broncos at Suncorp.
Did you not listen? I am positive he complained. Not about the finals system admittedly but I am certain he complained.