the sharks have managed to do it again!

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The punch that cost the Sharks $20,000
Jacquelin Magnay | May 21, 2009
THE financially embattled Cronulla Sharks rugby league club paid $20,000 to a female employee who was accidentally hit in the face by the chief executive, Tony Zappia.

Jenny Hall, who was then the community liaison officer, suffered such severe bruising and trauma she had to take four days off work.

Mr Zappia has previously said the incident, on August 9 last year, was an accident and he was simply shadow boxing.

Ms Hall has said nothing publicly and did not report the matter but found working at the club so uncomfortable she has moved interstate.

The club's woes worsened further last night after a star player, Reni Maitua, was immediately suspended after he tested positive to the performance-enhancing drug Clenbuterol.

The Herald has learnt that a club culture that became public with revelations of a group sex incident in Christchurch in 2002 has continued in recent years.

Sex toys have been distributed to players and sex workers have entered the dressing room with a club supporter after a game.

Sources have confirmed that early last year players were offered sex toys to take home to their wives and girlfriends. The items were stored in and distributed from the club's offices. Some players' partners were horrified that players and officials might judge their sex lives on the choice of "toy".

Also last year an unofficial supporter of the club, a sex shop owner, Con Ange, entered the dressing room after a game at Shark Park with two scantily dressed female friends, who were introduced as "Bitch One and Bitch Two". That phrase is understood to have been used in reference to other women around the club in other introductions.

"It was pretty clear what was on offer and it wasn't Con," a club source said of the two women in the dressing room.

Mr Ange owns more than 20 adult shops known as "Everything Adult". He was an associate of the Kings Cross identities Ashtray Frank and Fatty and Skinny Steve who worked at Porkys and the Love Machine. He was the focus of the Pandora police taskforce in 1996 and charged in relation to $1.7 million worth of stolen property. The charges were dropped.

Last year the Queensland Department of Fair Trading fined him $5000 for selling hardcore items that had been refused classification in any state.

Last week Cronulla faced calls for the resignation of its chairman, Barry Pierce, who was the highest official travelling with Matthew Johns and other players to Christchurch. This latest in-house revelation has put the club and senior officials under further intense scrutiny about attitudes to women.

Last night when questioned at a news conference about the incident with Ms Hall, Mr Zappia said he felt "empty, frustration, anger".

"I feel for my wonderful family at home who continue to see me under these conditions."

Last night he sent a text message to the Herald about the sex toys. "The club has not provided those items to players." He also said the club did not have any sponsors "of that nature".
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I used to like the Sharks, then hated them for a bit but now I just feel for their supporters. Things just keep going from bad to worse for them and there just seems no end to it all. Of course I am sure the media are continually digging deep in an effort to find their next Sharkies story.
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

OMG! the media. leave them alone! i really feel sorry for them, but seriously Mr. Zappia, thats just stupid!
how can you accidentally hit someone in the face leaving severe bruising!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I love Cooper wrote: OMG! the media. leave them alone! i really feel sorry for them, but seriously Mr. Zappia, thats just stupid!
If I make windmills with my arms and you accidentally walk into them, it's your own fault - Bart Simpson   ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I love Cooper wrote: OMG! the media. leave them alone! i really feel sorry for them, but seriously Mr. Zappia, thats just stupid!
well when ur shadow boxing around people  they should know better!
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote:
If I make windmills with my arms and you accidentally walk into them, it's your own fault - Bart Simpson   ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great reference, I love that scene! "Alright pie, I'm just going to do this *chomps air*  and if you get eaten, it's your own fault!" *bumps his head on the head on the cupboard and eats the pie anyway*
Gives me an idea for Saturday too: I'll just start kicking air ... and if any Storm fan should fill that air, it'll be their own fault! :badgrin:

As for the article, it just increases the empathy I feel for the poor Sharks fans.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Christabella wrote:
Tigger wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great reference, I love that scene! "Alright pie, I'm just going to do this *chomps air*  and if you get eaten, it's your own fault!" *bumps his head on the head on the cupboard and eats the pie anyway*
Gives me an idea for Saturday too: I'll just start kicking air ... and if any Storm fan should fill that air, it'll be their own fault! :badgrin:

As for the article, it just increases the empathy I feel for the poor Sharks fans.
Just remember I bruise easily!  8-[
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

nacho wrote:
well when ur shadow boxing around people  they should know better!
I can't wait to see how long it takes an opposition team to play Shadow Boxer by The Angels at a game involving the Sharks.
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The other side

The stuff the doesn't make it to 'Four Corners' or 'ACA' or sells newspapers or loses corporates.

It just IS  =D>
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great article!!!!  =D> =D> =D>
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]