FOLAU FOLAU FOLAU NOW A SUPERSTAR

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Broncos recruit Israel Folau has officially become the NRL's new superstar
By Peter Badel
January 03, 2009 THREE years ago, he was an unknown teen playing touch football in the playground at Marsden State High in Brisbane.

Now Israel Folau is officially an NRL superstar after signing a lucrative deal with adidas that will see him replace Mark Gasnier as the sportswear giant's face of rugby league - at the tender age of 19.

The Queensland sensation launches his career at the Broncos on Sunday, hailed as one of the most important signings in the club's history.

He is now a corporate golden child who stands to make millions on the back of multi-national companies realising the power of his talent and the value of his clean-living Mormon lifestyle.

From next month, Folau's face will be splashed across bus shelters and billboards in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney as part of an adidas marketing blitz.

In 2009, he will wear a specially-tailored boot and has recently completed filming for a TV advertisement after signing a two-year deal with Powerade.

And fame is paying sweet dividends for Folau. Last month, he moved into a home in south Brisbane large enough to accommodate his parents and his five siblings.

Folau admits he is blown away by his corporate appeal but says money and fame won't change him.

"I'm really lucky to be attracting sponsors and the money from football has helped my life, it's helped my family, but it won't change who I am,'' he said.

:'(

I KNEW BACK IN 2007 AT THE FAMILY DAY HE WAS GONNA BE BIG JUST WISH HE WAS STILL WITH US OH WELL ANYWAY STORMER ALWAYS AND FOREVER
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Good on him, its great for RL.
A positive news story for once.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

its great that he is getting the big bucks. Altho he has gone to the broncs i really hope he does kick on and improve.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well done Izz! 
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think the media hype in Brisvagas + the family pressure about his religious commitments will be detrimental to Israel.
He showed great maturity during his time at Melbourne,but he wasn't "The Great New Hope" of his team.

Good Luck Israel.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bourbon Rat wrote: I think the media hype in Brisvagas + the family pressure about his religious commitments will be detrimental to Israel.
He showed great maturity during his time at Melbourne,but he wasn't "The Great New Hope" of his team.

Good Luck Israel.
Agree with you Bourbon Rat.  There will be enormous pressure on him being in a rugby league state and of course playing for the Broncos who offloaded a lot of players to get him.

I also think that he will eventually end up playing Union...anyway, just my opinion.

He would have been better off staying with the Storm ;-)
Didgi
Squall
Squall

I also think he will end up in Union. Hopefully the pressure wont be to much for him.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We've only seen a little of what this guy can do. Hope he really does well and lives up to his potential.
The pressure didnt get to him even in his second year, BUT, Brisbane is a whole different environment.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Didgi
Squall
Squall

I think the attitude in Melbourne is "Yay we've got a NRL team if they do well thats a bonus" whereas in Brisbane it's "we're always gonna have a NRL team, so they better bloody do well" so players in Brissie are more under the pump.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He'll be under the spotlight bigtime. Everyone knows his on big money and will expect him to perform.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]