Up to 2 immortals to be named every 4 years

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The NRL has announced its plans for the immortals and the hall of fame.

1-2 immortals will be added every 4 years. They must have been retired for 5 years and be in the hall if fame to be eligible.

Up to 6 players added to the hall of fame and 4 more each year.

At last these concepts are being taken seriously. I'm tipping Dally Messenger and Mal Meninga to be added this year.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i hope its norm proven
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They discussed it on NRL360 last night. Benny Elias was adamant that Cameron Smith should go in immediately, to hell with the criteria. God love him :lol:

Everyone has their own preferred way of adding Immortals - particularly how those early players should be included. One of the panellists (can't remember who) suggested adding 10 or 15 early players as a way of "getting up to speed" and then just adding semi-recent inductees.

Personally, I would do one pre-1950s inductee (Messenger, Burge, Brown, Bevan, etc) and one post 1950s (Irvine, Provan, Meninga, Lockyer, etc) until we are "up to speed". That will give the RL public the chance to hear about and appreciate the contributions of all of the Immortals. If only two inductees are added, the media can/would focus on the accomplishments of each inductee for a period of time. If they did a batch job, I personally feel it would take away from the importance of such an honour.

Anyway - Ellias has a point, GET SMITH IN THERE! I would love the NRL to give Smith an exception to the Immortal criteria and induct him now just to hear the reaction from Sydney :lol: :lol:
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Surely that great Victorian Herbert Henry "Dally" Messenger must go in.

1906 also saw the emergence of Dally Messenger in rugby union. His popularity drove a resurgence in interest in the English code. Ironically, the prodigious kicking and finely tuned handling skills of Messenger are thought to have been acquired from his time playing Australian rules in Melbourne. Messenger lived with his aunt in South Melbourne as a teenager, but was lost to the code when he wanted to return to Sydney.