Fiji to play NSW cup

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Fiji government has backed the bid for a NSW cup team from 2019. Apparently the success of PNG in the Q cup played a role in swaying them.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

awesome
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good news and best of luck to them. Although the Fijians should progress with caution. The NSWRL should not be trusted.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I reckon we will see an influx of Fiji players into the NRL. Lots of talent there.

If the ARL and Beattie were smart; they would look at Fiji as an expansion for our great game. Crowds there for the World Cup were amazing.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cameron wrote:I reckon we will see an influx of Fiji players into the NRL. Lots of talent there.

If the ARL and Beattie were smart; they would look at Fiji as an expansion for our great game. Crowds there for the World Cup were amazing.
1. No games played in Fiji. So crowds there were nil.
2. 12,713 against NZ in Wellington, 22,073 v Australia at Lang Park - I would count those crowds as 'not great'.
3. 80% of their World cup squad is already Australian based.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sorry I meant Papua New Guinea where the crowds were amazing.

By starting teams in Fiji and PNG, I reckon there will be an even further influx of players from these regions into the NRL as it just gets more popular with the next generation of kiddies.