Cooper Cronk confirms he will play on with a Sydney club in season 2018

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:I'm so over Cooper and holding clubs to ransom...im done...he can pull his little stunts elsewhere I'm out

over it
He's not holding them to "ransom" as you put it. What Matt Orford did... THAT is holding a club to ransom.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Holding clubs to ransom? LOL.

He wasn't sure if he was playing again for most of the year. He owes no answer to anyone. Then when he apparently decides he does want to play and will look at what offers are out there - like literally a few days ago - he is somehow screwing clubs around?

If Sydney clubs want to wait around or make changes to their rosters based on what a potentially retiring player "might" do, that is their prerogative. But it has literally zero to do with Cooper. His asking price is what it is.If clubs don't want to pay it, they don't have to. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads.

Not sure what you are upset about at all.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:I'm so over Cooper and holding clubs to ransom...im done...he can pull his little stunts elsewhere I'm out

over it
I don't understand what your issue is.
Unless you are suggesting he's been lying all along, Cooper has been totally open and transparent about the whole thing.

Up front he said he would not be playing for Storm past this year as he was going to move to Sydney.
During the season he not only said he didn't know if he would play on; his agent actively advised other clubs there would be no negotiations until Cooper decided he was open to offers - if he ever did.
A week or so ago he asked his agent to consider offers, which he is doing.

At no stage has he led anyone on or thrown out teasers. None of the confusion and stress caused by Kimmorley's "will I, won't I" indecisiveness (which he was entitled to, even though we hated it at the time) or Orford's stringing everyone along in what seemed to be an out and out cash grab.

As far as I can see it's all been done with poise and good grace. You can't blame Cooper (well, obviously you can) for the media making a circus of it all.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I kinda get the frustration but he hasn't held clubs to ransom.

There were huge rumours in the lead up to grand final week that he already agreed to play with the Roosters. Why bs around that weeks later I don't know.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

And speaking of media circuses:

Now this crap
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Sydney media love this and Cooper Cronk is the biggest thing to hit old Sydney town since Sonny Bill Williams.

The longer Cooper keeps them guessing, the more relationships within Sydney Clubs he can destroy.

Love it.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:And speaking of media circuses:

Now this crap
Oh boy. I bet we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Milford said no to us. I think we ended up with the better result in the end. Munster pretty much wins Origin for QLD and then gets a premier's ring to go with it...

Although a future spine of

1. Munster
6. Milford
7. Croft
9. B. Smith

Yeah... that is a line up that would make me shoot in my pants.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jahrome Hughes is going to be a star.

1. Hughes
6. Munster
7. Croft
9. B. Smith

there is the next 10 years sorted.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:Jahrome Hughes is going to be a star.

1. Hughes
6. Munster
7. Croft
9. B. Smith

there is the next 10 years sorted.
Yep- I am happy with that spine.

I am also enjoying - as others are on 'this forum - the disruption being caused within Sydney clubs as the teams fall over themselves to nab Cooper. Lots of disaffected players - good !
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy sets the media straight

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z8uys.html

If you want to talk about speculation about players moving clubs, that's all next year. I want to give this game the significance it deserves.

LEAGUE HQ NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

Enter your email address
By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy .
"I don't think he's come out with a definitive answer yet and I think he's exploring his options. He's allowed to do that. Whatever he does he's got my respect and my blessing. He's been a mate of mine for a long time and has deserved the right to do whatever he wants from here on in."

But it's almost certain Slater and Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith will be lining up against Cronk at NRL level next year.

"I've played alongside him for 17 years so it's going to be different," Slater said. "But people move teams all the time and play against their [old] teammates all the time so I suppose you get used to it. [But] he's looking forward to playing for Australia."
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Doesn't look like Manly will be signing anyone else this year.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r ... z8yw6.html

Spotlight on Manly Sea Eagles over salary cap allegations

Kate McClymont

Nick McKenzie
Pressure on the Manly Sea Eagles over alleged breaches of the salary cap continues to mount after the National Rugby League's integrity unit this week commenced formal interviews of club officials.

Revelations that several high-profile Manly players may have taken secret benefits or payments in cash, in breach of salary cap rules, came to police attention during Strike Force Nuralda's long-running investigation into match-fixing allegations.

The police investigation centred around four games involving Manly - three in 2015 and one in April 2016.

While detectives from the NSW Organised Crime Squad found no evidence of an organised conspiracy involving players fixing matchers, they did uncover a widespread trade in leaking of inside information from club insiders to punters. This is a criminal offence punishable by up to two years in jail. No charges will be laid as there is a six-month limitation from the date of the alleged offences occurring.

Fairfax Media revealed in July that that the NRL integrity unit had launched an investigation into Manly's alleged salary cap breaches. Several senior Manly officials initially refused to hand over their personal computers to the NRL integrity unit arguing that they were not legally obliged to.

However, the club had a change of heart and for months NRL investigators have been sifting through thousands of documents, computer records and information downloaded from the mobile phones of club officials.

Manly has maintained that it was not aware of allegations of salary cap breaches and that their 2017 mid-year salary cap audit was "completed by the NRL in record time and without adjustment".

One of those set to be interviewed is club stalwart and league legend Bob Fulton who coincidentally stepped down this week as a consultant to the club ending a 50-year association.

The 69-year-old joined the Sea Eagles in 1966, winning three premierships with Manly in the 1970sd. As Manly's coach, he also won two premierships in 1987 and 1996.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ah, Bobby Fulton. Along with Arko has enjoyed the moniker of "The Godfather of Rugby League".
And those in the know will tell you that name is not intended to be a compliment.

His supporters will tell you of the staunch stalwart of Rugby League fighting hard to keep the greatest game away from the evil News empire. (And carefully avoid the fact that he fought tooth and nail to keep the NSWRL old boys club firmly in the clutches of his good mate Kerry Packer paying almost nothing for the media rights and giving f*ck all back).
His detractors will tell you of a savage administrator who will destroy the career of a player or staff member to further his own end and his own vision for Manly and the traditional NSW clubs.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

And the merry-go-round goes round and round and round...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/rugb ... za0wj.html

Rugby League World Cup: Cooper Cronk falters as Roosters fear late swoop

Andrew Webster

As Cooper Cronk sat on the 10-metre line, eyes watering and nose bent out of shape again, he must have wondered if it was all still worth it.

He'd just been belted and belted late by England forward Sam Burgess after putting in a grubber kick with Australia on the attack in the first half of the World Cup opener.

Early next week, he's expected to announce a two-year deal with the Roosters worth close to $2 million, although the Roosters are not so sure it's over the line.

The Roosters fear their bitter arch rivals will try to gazump them at the 11th hour. Only the paranoid survive in this game. We'll know soon enough.

If Cronk knows what he's doing, he's not letting on. His Kangaroos teammates have been prodding him all week, trying to draw out an answer, but he's given nothing away.

The footy, it must be said, was a welcome relief. The will-he-or-won't-he-and-if-he-does-what-does-that-mean-for-Mitchell-Pearce conjecture about Cronk's future hasn't been the only distraction for this tournament.

You can always rely on the NSW Police Force to drop a rugby league bombshell at the worst possible time for the game.

It announced in June last year it was looking into the possibility that matches were fixed. Two days before last year's finals, it announced Strike Force Nuralda had been set up to investigate.

In a stunning coincidence, it announced on Friday morning that Nuralda couldn't pin anyone for rigging matches but warned the NRL that players were being lured into handing over inside information to underworld figures in exchange for cocaine and hookers. Awesome.

Thankfully for rugby league it has rugby league to fall back on. It makes all the pain go away, at least for 80 minutes.

Australia's favouritism heading into the England match was overstated: they were missing Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott, Darius Boyd and Greg Inglis to injury. The halves combination of Cronk and Michael Morgan had only four training sessions this week to feel each other out.

Still, Australia won and when they really get going they will have what Queensland have and what the Storm had until Cronk decided he would be moving to Sydney next year to be with fiancee Tara Rushton.

It's the near-telepathic understanding he has with Cameron Smith and Billy Slater, somehow knowing exactly where the other will be when it matters.

How Cronk functions in a side without those players will be a great challenge.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson is convinced it can work and Pearce won't have to be squeezed out. That it can all work with Pearce and Cronk and Luke Keary and Jake Friend.

At the moment, Pearce is wounded. He's away at a wedding this weekend, and is mulling over his future. Some reckon he should walk. Others want him to stay. Cronk, it's been said, thinks it can work.

Meanwhile, Cronk won't be ducking up to Sydney to nut out a deal before the Kangaroos go into camp in Canberra on Monday ahead of their next match against France.

Instead, he'll be heading to the Cox Plate at Moonee Valley with his Australian teammates but expect an announcement in coming days.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rugby League World Cup: Boyd Cordner insists Cooper Cronk and Mitchell Pearce could play in same Roosters team

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... za35k.html

Cordner conceded he has not spoken to Cronk about the issue – preferring to give the deep-thinking 33-year-old his own space in camp – but he has counselled Pearce as other clubs watch his situation with interest.

"I've spoken to Pearcey a couple of times and just out of respect to him I think the right thing to do is keep that between me and him at the moment," Cordner said.

"I don't find it a hard spot at all. I think that what's happened has happened. You have to face it because that's reality. That's what happens in football. At the end of the day it's a business. Pearcey is one of my best friends, I'll support him 100 per cent of the way."

There were only a couple of glimpses, but Cordner showed how destructive he could be running off Cronk's left shoulder as a rusty Kangaroos put England to bed late in a 18-4 win in Melbourne.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mitchell Pearce cancels meetings as pressure mounts over Roosters future

Danny Weidler

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... za9jj.html

Mitchell Pearce has canned three meetings with Roosters coach Trent Robinson designed to work out the star player's future at the club. The last one was on Thursday.

Robinson has had two other conversations with Pearce to try to give him an indication of where the club is going. Pearce is now expected to talk to his coach face-tith Cooper Cronk set to sign a two-year deal with the club, Pearce will have to make a serious decision. He will be told that he is needed and wanted, but he will also know that the club comes first and they see Cronk as the solution.

Jake Friend is not under pressure to keep his position. Luke Keary has not been mentioned as a Rooster under pressure for a simple reason: the club wants to sign him to a new three-year deal. At this unstable time, that's a huge vote of confidence in their five-eighth. Keary has told the club he is on board with the Cronk signing.

he Roosters love Pearce, but their view is that the easy option is to let him go. The tougher option – and the one the Roosters want – is to keep him, improve his game and juggle the halves next year.

Pearce has not asked for a release. He spent the weekend in Orange with his girlfriend. He is still raw, but he is starting to come around. He has taken a step away from the drama and realised that life is not too bad: he is earning good money, he is wanted by his current club and rivals are keen as well.

He is playing footy for a living. It's been explained to him that the pressure won't be on him – it will be squarely on Cronk.

Pearce has had some high-profile Roosters in his ear telling him to go. The Roosters have been taken aback by the support Pearce has received and the doubts cast about Cronk. But the coach and management don't have a moment's doubt that Cronk is the man to deliver them a title.

It's his composure and class that have appeal to the club. And his kicking game.