Cooper Cronk confirms he will play on with a Sydney club in season 2018

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And it’s official, well all but anyway. To the Roosters s for 2 years
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/coop ... zaqz8.html

The acquisition of Cronk is a huge coup for Trent Robinson's side, which ran second to premiers Melbourne Storm in the last regular season but crashed out at the preliminary final stage.

The issue for the Roosters now is whether they can convince their long-term halfback Mitchell Pearce to remain at the club. He has two years to run on his contract but faces the prospect of being a back-up to the game's best No.7 after a decade steering the team around.

Pearce and Robinson were due to meet again on Monday before the 28-year-old flies out to the United States for a holiday with his partner.

itchell Pearce should stay put, take a couple of years of easy money. His career will be extended, earning him a few extra million down the track. Not sure how Robinson and Politis spin it to Pearce, I don't think I have seen anything like this before. Why take two years of punishment elsewhere just to prove a point? Take the easy money. Leave in two years time.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Do Easts even have a salary cap?
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Does anyone for one second believe this was hatched up in the last 2 weeks? To suddenly go from "I don't know if I'm going to play on". To signing a 2 year deal. Absolute Bulls#%t. He has known this for months and so have the Roosters. Why couldn't he just be honest for Mitchell Pearce and Luke Kearys sake.
Kind of glad he is gone though, his game is starting to slip and I'm sick of the rigid style. Brodie Croft will be inconsistent and have bad games, but he will have some add lib moments that Cronk lacked. Hopefully Bellamy allows us to keep, and add to our great attacking game style this year.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Coopers game is still strong and he tends to take a heck of a beating on his kicks from players from other teams who target him.

cooper will be a great scope for Easts. And yes, they don't seem to have a salary cap. After how the NRL went after us, it seems there is one rule for one and another rule for another.

Brodie Croft will be a superstar for us. We will love watching his game for the next 10 years.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tedesco signed for 2 meat pies and a can of coke. Cronk's $2 million is only $25 under the salary cap.

The NRL and the salary cap have long been a joke and this now proves it. They wouldn't register Foran and Woods at the Bulldogs until they released players but the Roosters can sign Cronk for a million a year no issue? As if they were under the cap in the first place let alone having a million to spare. And they wonder why their crowd and participation numbers are dwindling rapidly. Maybe they can bring SBW back as well. Surely he could fit under the sombrero.

GALLEN: PEARCE CAN’T STAY
Sharks veteran Paul Gallen said Cronk and Pearce won’t be able to fit in the same team and suggested the former NSW star move on.
“I think if Cooper Cronk does sign with the Roosters, I don’t think Mitchell Pearce can stay,” Gallen on the Nine’s Sport Sunday. “I don’t think the positions of Pearce, (five-eighth Luke) Keary and Cronk fit in together.
“I don’t think you can turn Pearce, who has been a halfback his whole life, into a bench player.” Gallen said luring Cronk to the club would put heat on coach Trent Robinson. “It’s a big decision for the Roosters, in my opinion,” he said. “Unless Cooper Cronk goes there and...they win a competition, it’s going to be called a failure.
“Where does it go back to then? Is the coach then under pressure?”
The Sharks were caught up in the three-way arm wrestle for Cronk but were eventually ousted by the Roosters.
“I love Cooper Cronk, he’s a great player. I (would have) loved seeing him come to Cronulla,” Gallen said.
“But the reason he (would) come to Cronulla was because James Maloney apparently may want to leave. That’s the way it would work.
“You’d see him fitting into a club like that.
“If Mitchell Pearce wanted to leave or Keary wanted to leave, I could see him fitting into the Roosters no problems.
“But to fit those three players into two positions, I can’t see how it’s going to work personally.”
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote: The NRL and the salary cap have long been a joke and this now proves it. ”
With the greatest respect, unless you've personally seen all the books of all the clubs then I don't think you're in a position to comment on the salary cap situation of the NRL in general. I think most fans are misled by media speculation and hype when they don't have access to any more information than we do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the current salary cap model is perfect either. The biggest issue I see with it though is the TPAs that skew benefits to the more profitable clubs allowing them to effectively get away with a bigger budget than the smaller ones. But then again that should incentivise clubs to seek financial independence rather than relying on the NRL to prop them up.

Either way, I wouldn't put too much energy into being annoyed about the chooks' cap. It should make it all the more sweet when we whoop them again next year :)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While I don’t blame Coops for wanting to play on, for me now he’s just another player from an opposition team I want to beat. Though I’ve loved beating the Roosters in the past I’ll enjoy it that bit more now ;)
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

No chance this was only decided in the last week.

He didn't announce anything cause we were a strong chance to play the roosters in the gf. Imagine that scenario if it was known then he was going there and then we played them in the gf.

Then we win premiership so waits a bit longer.

Then announces his intention to keep playing to prepare ppl.

Then after his final game in Melbourne he announces he is going

This has been perfectly planned out. Not saying I have a problem with it, just that this would of been a set out plan for possibly months
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree with all who are saying this wasn’t a snap decision. You don’t make million dollar a year deals in only 2 weeks. The Chooks would’ve had to have been shuffling their cap around for much longer than that. Let’s just hope it’s a monumental failure and blows up in their face
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This tickles me; Pearce got owned by Cronk every year he went up against him in Origin and now Cronk forces him out of the club. It will be even funnier if Cronk leads them to the title in 2018. Just proves how shite Michelle Piss really is!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can’t say I’ll be laughing if the Chooks won the comp next year and especially just to get a one up on Pearce who I don’t give a second thought. But that’s just me....
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I will join the chorus of those who are saying Cronk knew all along what he was doing.
I will forever grateful for what he did for us, but I won't ever view him in the same light as Cam or Billy.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cooper Cronk is now the ENEMY
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:I will forever grateful for what he did for us, but I won't ever view him in the same light as Cam or Billy.
With the greatest respect to Cooper, even if he played out his career with the Storm, would he have been remembered in the same light as Smith/Slater? Surely not...

And I say that with no sour grapes whatsoever. I am legitimately happy for Coop.