Most Exciting Storm Winger Ever?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is the most exciting winger to play for us ever Marika Koroibete?

Big question I know. Marcus Bai, Israel Folau, Matt King, Sisa Waqa, Steve Turner, Matt Geyer and at times Justin O'Neill, Matt Duffie and Mahe Fonua have all provided their share of electric moments.

But, I feel it is a fair question. He has scored two length of the field tries off kick returns this year plus a couple of his other efforts have been spectacular. He was close to two other tries last night! So who has excited you the most? Is it Koroibete or someone else?
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

In a word? Yes.

Though I have a soft spot for all the guys listed (as I'm sure we all do) MK5 (I know he's not wearing that now. .. but MK2 doesn't have the same ring to it. .) he's something else..... any time he's near the ball, let alone has it - I'm ready to jump out of my seat. He showed us last week how valuable he is in defence, but when he's defending against a bomb, he's always a chance of taking it 100m to score - who else does that?! Plus he has two amazing kickers of the ball to work with, and the passing games of our 6, 7, 9 and first choice 1 can make things happen for MK5, KoroBeastie!

Koromania is running wild brother!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think MK5 is better than Bai was.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I always liked issy
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:I think MK5 is better than Bai was.
If he has a career half as good he'd be ecstatic. Bai won comps in both the NRL and Super League, won the World Club Challenge a bunch of times too and played for PNG at two world cups. MK has a long way to go to get there, but, he can and that's exciting.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I sometimes forget how good Izzy was while he was with us. I think I'd just put him over Marika. But that could easily change if Markia doesn't decide to walk out on us after this season.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

He's going well, but there is a long way to go before he claims that title.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Best winger? Definitely has a way to go to claim that title.

Most exciting winger? Hard to argue against that. Something about blistering speed and long range breakaway tries that is hard to beat for excitement. Combine that with the impact he hits the line with on hitups and his ability to lay on some huge shots in defence.

When Koro gets the ball, I lean just a little bit closer to the screen, expecting something to happen. It's the same feeling I get when Slater is in a purple patch of form.

I hope like hell we keep Koro for years to come. Likewise I hope he remembers where he came from and how his game exploded with us.

Excitement machine.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree best winger is a tough mantle to claim. I would have him 8th at the moment, but, climbing fast.

1.Bai
2.Geyer
3.Waqa
4.Turner
5.Quinn
6.Folau
7.King
8.Koroibete
9.O'Neill
10.Duffie
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I pay a bit more attention when he gets the ball and I only ever got that with Greg Inglis and Billy in his early days.
I'd say yes to most exciting but not best quiet yet. I'd have Sisa above him there along with Bai and Turner, Folau.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have always liked our wingers from Pacific Island or PNG background. Maybe it is just the excitement they bring or the power they have. I loved Marcus Bai, I was even a big fan of Semi Tadulala even though he only played 16 games for us. Then there was Issy who was a gun particularly for his age.

Sisa was my favourite player virtually from his Storm debut v Broncos. Although I do remember seeing a photo in Herald Sun of him at pre-season training and his thighs were massive.

When there were whispers of us signing MK5 I got a bit excited.

Hopefully MK5 stays with us for most of his career. If so I am looking forward to fingers crossed a wing combo of Koroibete and Vunivalu.

He is not our best winger yet but is certainly up there for most exciting.

I thought I might look at tries per game stat (which is easier to keep high early in career). If you exclude Josh Graham who scored right at end of his one and only game here are best tries per game for Storm:
Koroibete 0.71
Folau 0.69
GI 0.67
King 0.66
Duffie 0.62
Slater 0.62
Waqa 0.61
Tomane 0.61
Ross 0.60
Bell 0.59

Marcus Bai is only 19th with 0.49.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On potential he could be our best and isn't far from best winger in the comp ATM.
I'd say along with Manu Vatuvei and Semi Radradra, they'd be the most exciting wingers.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Koro - close thread.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeoppppp
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The scary part is - he's only just about to turn 23...