Slater could be out for the season

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wtf??!??

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of- ... 7391971278

An absolute joke if true... Should be withdrawn from the QLD squad ASAP. I'm sick and tired of Origin continually disrupting our season every year.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bad call if he plays but I guess he's still risks just as much if he pulls out and turns out for Melbourne a week later.
Surgery now would probably end his season anyway.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's just tactics....

There is another article that I can't get back to cause it part of the subscription thing that has Tony auyob say he is happy and Billy's sergeon is happy for him to keep playing
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah. .. can't really blame origin for this, if it's true. ... I'd highly doubt he's going to play origin and then have surgery - he might have to if it gets worse. ... but it wouldn't just be a pre planned thing - that's just dumb
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

"Any one of the 34 players running out for Origin II could be playing there last game of the season! In fact, any one of the players playing in any game, could be playing there last game of the season!!!"

Maybe that is the SHOCKING headline that this Dobbin chump should have run with. What a fantastic representation of gutter journalism, full of the sources and credibility that we've come to expect from Foxsports.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:It's just tactics....

There is another article that I can't get back to cause it part of the subscription thing that has Tony auyob say he is happy and Billy's sergeon is happy for him to keep playing

I read that article Sally and Ayoub said there is every possibility he'll need surgery sooner than seasons end. The surgeon is comfortable where Bill is at but at the same time he's far from guaranteed to see the season out. I don't think there's any doubt at all he'll miss games here and there and with any luck he can nurse it through but it'll only take one decent tackle which he cops often to put him out for the season.

I love Bill and he's my favorite player to ever pull on the jersey but i think it's about time he remembered who pays his wages. Sure, there's every chance he could get injured further with us but at least it would happen at the club he's employed by and has been paying his wages for 13 years. Some might disagree with that but that's how i see it.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think the fact he did not play the panthers game gives weight to the story being true. He wants to play on the MCG and he wants Queensland win the shield back and he wants do that too.

I know origin is special to Queenslanders, but sometimes I do not understand how they can put it before the club they play for. A couple of years ago I heard Billy interviewed and he was asked by a Melbourne journalist "What s more important winning the origin series or a premiership with Melbourne Storm?" I assumed he would say premiership with Storm. But he did not answer the question, he just gave reasons why both were special and I felt he wanted to say origin, but knew he shouldn't. I think a premiership for your club should be what every player regards as the most important.

Anyway, if Billy is out for the season there will be no premiership for Storm this year.
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

I agree with ice .
If true I'd say we've seen the last of Bill in a storm top . He is my fav all time player but it's time to go and earn some cash in the super league.
I'd hope munsters signed long term soon too !
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sure the 50k per game in to your retirement fund as part of a reward for representing your state and your sport at an elite level doesn't hurt either.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormfan2010 wrote:I agree with ice .
If true I'd say we've seen the last of Bill in a storm top . He is my fav all time player but it's time to go and earn some cash in the super league.

well let's all hope that Storm don't lima lima lima duck up the signing of Cam Munster like they obviously lima lima lima duck up the re-signing of Kurt Mann.

I love Melbourne Storm...seriously love them..but geeeeez they make some strange decisions on player retention sometimes...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
JimmyThunder
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Storm Spirit wrote:
stormfan2010 wrote:I agree with ice .

well let's all hope that Storm don't *lima lima lima duck* up the signing of Cam Munster like they obviously *lima lima lima duck* up the re-signing of Kurt Mann.

I love Melbourne Storm...seriously love them..but geeeeez they make some strange decisions on player retention sometimes...
I agree this youngs guys are the future of the storm we have to do everything to keep them here in storm colours. We can not let these young guys leave
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If that $450K asking price Sal mentioned is even close to the mark, we absolutely did the right thing with Mann.

We cannot hold on to every kid who shows a little talent if we have to pay overs in order to do it. We will become uncompetitive fast if we do that.
Kya
Squall
Squall

For the 100th time Munster is signed until end of 2017 and the Storm would have to release him if he wanted to leave. He is happy here and is assured of fullback spot.

As to Mann leaving, it has to do with money!!! He got a crazy offer to play for St George and he took it. Clubs now have to pay overs to recruit and to keep players. We can't match the offer - simple.
He is talented but reality is that he is a fullback/ hooker, 5/8th. We don't have those options open and play him in centre. If u watch our games, than u realise he isnt worth overs as a centre and we don't have a spot for him short term in his preferred spot.

Ppl keep bitching about big 3 salary - go look at how a salary cap is structured.
All 3 have 3rd party deals, NRL limited party deals and long service dispensation that hugely relieves the pressure from our overall cap which is why we can have all 3.

We are paying 3 starting international NZ players including the best prop in the WORLD, we have the best performing centre in the game at the moment, the best performing winger (until injury ), have retained JMac who is earmarked for future origin and will be paying solid amount for Hinchy who took unders to stay back when he signed.

When a club has salary club pressure it still takes into account long term rising cap and possible price ranges for player 1 to 25. Mann has secured well overs and we aren't prepared to match it , much like Widdop , Garbutt etc
Irony is that I can't actually see him playing in his preferred spot at red v! But his wallet will be heavier so good luck to him.

Sorry to deviate from the actual topic of thread!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mann is showing promise at Storm but will he get the same opportunity at the dragqueens to better his career
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thank u kya...so sick of ppl and this whole crap