McKinnon could Sue

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

The people that are pushing him to sue would have to be some low scum lawyers looking to make money of of his injury.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Look up the Adam Ritson lawsuit against John Lomax for a some context here. Initially sued Lomax before moving on to the Raiders who settled out of court.

Sure, he was not paralyzed but he was still a very, very sick young man in the aftermath. I have no doubt his name would be mentioned in the same breath as Webcke and Lazarus if he hadn't been cut down in his prime.

Not sure how I feel about this either. I'm no legal expert but why he'd sue the NRL after they rallied behind him is a bit low. Can't see him take macca for 10million either. If he wants to take the club on then let him try. Campbell and co have enough coin and likely good enough lawyers to settle out of court with him.

Someone raised a point about the refs. As a ref I know that I'm liable if I can't control a game to the point someone is badly hurt. IIRC there was an official caution given to both sides prior to the incident.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

it was me who raised the refs, in my opinion, when the don't call held and a player then gets hurt, they have failed their duty of care. they have the power to stop it and obviously, when players don't hear held, they will go on with it until the player is on the ground. refs are clearly culpable.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

The ref could have called 2 lifting tackles on Storm players in that same game before the AM lifting tackle BUT THEY DIDN`T .I think it was negligence on the refs part
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... h3zz0.html
If Alex McKinnon proceeds with legal action over the tackle that has left him in a wheelchair, the former Newcastle forward will need to be prepared for questions in court about whether he contributed to the injury by tucking his head to his chest before hitting the ground.
This sums it up.

At the risk of sounding uncouth he'll be pretty much cross-examined in the same way victims of sexual assault and violent crimes are.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the 60 minutes interview with McKinnon is on this weekend. Focussing mainly on the relationship with his girlfriend.

I also note that Frank Molo wasn't scrutinized to the level Jordan was for his tackle on Ackerman and the bloke is dead. At the same time I hope Jordan and Alex have had a chat
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Except for the mention of who was the tackler I haven`t read or heard anything about the tackle on Ackerman.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So Mckinnon and his dad have a go at Cameron Smith on tonight's 60 minutes. Sydney papers having a field day. Must be an origin decider on.
My message to Alex Mckinnon: It sucks that you are a quadriplegic. But you wouldn't be one if you didn't duck your head. Remember when your head broke Jordan Mcleans jaw? And you were high fiving everyone you could, while he was visibly distressed on ground. Hindsight is a great thing. Noone knew at the time you were going to end up in a wheelchair. Even Smith. Newcastle players can't have thought it was bad when they intentionally tried to break Hoff's neck on the next tackle. I have zero respect for you, Willie mason, Wayne Bennett, and all the others drugcastle Dicks that placed the blame on Melbourne storm for this terrible incident.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Mauritian wrote:So Mckinnon and his dad have a go at Cameron Smith on tonight's 60 minutes. Sydney papers having a field day. Must be an origin decider on.
My message to Alex Mckinnon: It sucks that you are a quadriplegic. But you wouldn't be one if you didn't duck your head. Remember when your head broke Jordan Mcleans jaw? And you were high fiving everyone you could, while he was visibly distressed on ground. Hindsight is a great thing. Noone knew at the time you were going to end up in a wheelchair. Even Smith. Newcastle players can't have thought it was bad when they intentionally tried to break Hoff's neck on the next tackle. I have zero respect for you, Willie mason, Wayne Bennett, and all the others drugcastle Dicks that placed the blame on Melbourne storm for this terrible incident.
Spot on mate. Well said. The bloke is nothing but a selfish, blame shifting, hypocrite.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Will never forget how those Knights players celebrated as Jordy lay unconscious on the ground.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Iirc smith's argument was "if he doesn't duck his head he doesn't end up like this". This was also the sentiment of a lot of people and its also why he'll never go to court over it... because he'll be forced to answer questions about his contribution to the tackle.

I too will not forget when his head clash broke Jordan's jaw in 2013 and McKinnon high fiving his mates and that worthless *lima lima lima duck* and amateur photographer BJ Leilua standing over him and hurling abuse at Jordy.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/conte ... _medi.html

Melbourne Storm today reiterated that its thoughts and best wishes remain with Alex McKinnon for his continued recovery.  His story continues to inspire the rugby league community.

In relation to specific references regarding our club in media reports published today, Storm would like to make the following points:

At the time of this tragic accident, no one on the field had any idea of the severity of the injury Alex had suffered. All at Storm and especially the playing group were shocked and horrified to learn of Alex's injuries in the days after the event;

Storm players led by captain Cameron Smith requested to visit Alex in hospital numerous times while he was in Melbourne. The requests were declined which was totally understandable given Alex needed to focus on the initial stages of his recovery;

Storm's Football Director continued to liaise with his Newcastle equivalent regarding the right time for club players to contact Alex in the weeks and months after the incident;

Cameron Smith was proud to launch the #riseforalex round last year alongside Paul Gallen, as well as to wear Alex's jersey number at Storm's game in Melbourne in the same round. Storm's fans raised more than $20,000 for Alex that day alone.

Storm sincerely wishes Alex and his family all the absolute best for his continued recovery.

I'd love to see McKinnon or any of his PR spin attempt to refute the bolded parts.

Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/conte ... _medi.html

Melbourne Storm today reiterated that its thoughts and best wishes remain with Alex McKinnon for his continued recovery.  His story continues to inspire the rugby league community.

In relation to specific references regarding our club in media reports published today, Storm would like to make the following points:

At the time of this tragic accident, no one on the field had any idea of the severity of the injury Alex had suffered. All at Storm and especially the playing group were shocked and horrified to learn of Alex's injuries in the days after the event;

Storm players led by captain Cameron Smith requested to visit Alex in hospital numerous times while he was in Melbourne. The requests were declined which was totally understandable given Alex needed to focus on the initial stages of his recovery;

Storm's Football Director continued to liaise with his Newcastle equivalent regarding the right time for club players to contact Alex in the weeks and months after the incident;

Cameron Smith was proud to launch the #riseforalex round last year alongside Paul Gallen, as well as to wear Alex's jersey number at Storm's game in Melbourne in the same round. Storm's fans raised more than $20,000 for Alex that day alone.

Storm sincerely wishes Alex and his family all the absolute best for his continued recovery.

I'd love to see McKinnon or any of his PR spin attempt to refute the bolded parts.

Proper, professional and mature response by Melbourne Storm. No need to give this more air time.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Will never forget how those Knights players celebrated as Jordy lay unconscious on the ground.
Hated it at the time...hate it now and will never forget in the future. That whole response from Newcastle players to the Jordy incident was unprofessional, cowardly and weak.

A poor reflection on the players and their shit no hoper Club.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

League Unlimited currently in melt down.