Rd 4 @ North Queensland.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Get a grip people it was only a loss. we won`t win every week and I know we made some mistakes but it is only a game. there are a lot of serious shit happening in the world so losing a game here and there isn`t the worst thing that could happen. The worst thing would be following moanly, sharks, titans, dragons, chooks, rabbits, eels, warriors, panthers, broncos, knights, cowboys, mangey mutts, tigers or the raiders
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Here here Stormy - we could be following Cronulla
stormdog
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Sallymay,

I know you are a diehard fan, but as a fan we need to be realistic too and not have our storm blinkers on...

Dane Nielson played SOO on the back of his defence.... everyone knows playing at the storm makes you look like a great player.. as soon as u leave (minus GI) you arent as good....

Bellamy and staff picked Hymel on the back of his defensive efforts playing in the lower grades and even said it was to show him he is not too far off from making his debut... scoring tries is not the B all and end all... look at Josh morris.. hadnt scored a try for almost a year until last week.. but you would have him in your team no matter what on the back of his defence... this is the point im trying to prove...

i agree with the other comments in respect of belly... he needs to change his tactics... we did so well for all those years because we dominated the ruck... 2012 was the last year that the ruck wasn't policed so well... look at 2013.. we had almost the same roster as 2012 and we crashed out of the finals... and to be honest.. minus gareth widdop our roster is better than it was from 2012... its all about the ruck... we cant keep up and belly is running out of ideas....
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:People wont like me saying this, but I think Bellamy's done all he can do with this team. Players just aren't responding to him the way they used to. I'm growing tired of the same problems happening week in week out with this team. Maybe someone with a different philosophy can change things.
Agree. We need a fresh voice.
I'd be doing everything to get McGuire back.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm astounded by some of the reactions to a couple of losses!
Seriously... get rid of Bellamy? After a 1 point loss?
It is not possible to win every game... dissect the issues, and address away, but not for a second do I think Bellamy is why we lost last night. Or the Manly game... and if we were 4-0 that wouldn't have even been dreamt of as a suggestion
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This isn't just a "oh we've lost by 1 point in week 4 of 2015" thing. Something's been off with this team since mid 2013. But let's all be happy about being 2-2 against four teams at the bottom of the ladder and just blame the refs, like we do every week.

stormdog wrote:but as a fan we need to be realistic too and not have our storm blinkers on...
Could not agree more.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just didn't turn up after half time. .. the boys seemed to have the same mentality at the break as I did. ..'this ones in the bag' - and it should have been. ..
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:This isn't just a "oh we've lost by 1 point in week 4 of 2015" thing. Something's been off with this team since mid 2013. But let's all be happy about being 2-2 against four teams at the bottom of the ladder and just blame the refs, like we do every week.

stormdog wrote:but as a fan we need to be realistic too and not have our storm blinkers on...
Could not agree more.
This isn't the 'same' team though - this is a transition phase folks! We have half of the team over 28 (some of them some ways over) who are slowing a little or could be classed as journeymen, 2 or 3 in their mid-20s supposedly hitting their prime years (Jesse, Will, Kevin), and the rest are around 23 and younger!
For those who think Bellamy isn't adapting...when was the last time Cronk completely controlled a game? Last year. This year they are trying new combinations, new moves and it will take time....imagine when our young ones all hit their straps and catch up to Jesse & co. For those wanting NAS in there now, Bellamy won't risk a young guys career by pushing too soon but he was there in Townsville warming up with the guys so he won't be too far away...

I reckon we will be thereabouts this year (top 8 anyway) and if we're not it won't be because they aren't trying, or there isn't the talent coming through. Should we chuck them all in the deep end together? Maybe, but I reckon we'd still lose a few games too & we'd complain then too.

And on the idea that they all aren't buying into Bellamy, well that's not my mail. In fact quite the opposite.
Might not be this year (I'm full of hope that it will be :-D ) but even if its not or the next, its coming...hopefully before Cam, Billy and Coops hang up their boots.
How spoilt are we with this great club that we expect top 4 from Storm every year & a Premiership to boot?
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's great and all, and I agree with a lot of that, but it has zero to do with turning up and playing with no intensity and/or lacking enthusiasm in defense or having decent line speed. It may not be Bellamy's fault (we're clearly not as fit as we once were while under Corvo), but surely Bellamy should be sending messages out to adjust the way we're playing when it clearly isn't working, and he certainly could be managing the bench a bit better (or selecting players that will actually make an impact from the bench). Why Weston and Kaufusi continue to play just 15 minutes I have no idea!

I also think Bellamy took too long to adjust to the way the game is played & refereed these days. We lost at least a season when we continued to run the same old plays that every other team had figured out a long time ago, and we continued to defend the same way long after it was (or we were) effective anymore.

In saying all of that, I don't know of any available coach that could come in and do a better job than Bellamy.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote:or having decent line speed.
One of the biggest issues with our defence imo. We were sitting on our heels waiting for the Cowboys to come to us long before they exploded with enthusiasm at the end - that just exacerbated it.

Same in most of our games in the last year or so. There is no urgency in getting up off our line (goal line the exception where you absolutely have to). Souths, Roosters? Brilliant line speed.

We needed Cam/one of our experienced forwards to fire up our forwards and realise the game was quickly running away from us. Not one forward rushed up to put a shot on the Cowboys forwards. They were given free reign to build up speed and smash us. Metres after initial contact was always going to be a problem from there. Game over.
stormdog
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It all stems from the NYC... way too young to be playing top-line footy... the pathway is backwards...
what are the scorelines in the NYC??? always something like 38-28 or 46-26... some ridiculous over the top scorelines... clearly attack is the priority there... so all the top NYC kids coming through to the the top 25 squad carry their sh*t defensive attitudes into the top 25 squad... ever since the NYC was introduced and thunderbolts kids started coming up from through the grades we started to lose that accountability in defense and letting a few tries is was the norm... absolutely poor...

I also agree with Alex Corvo leaving.... however it contradicts given the season Brisbane had under him last year...

I also agree we have no aggression i never ever see a player race out and put a massive hit on a forward .... never... does bellamy not want this??? its always the storm players getting wacked in defense.. i,e TLL wacked by that serbian manly player that was on debut.. tjrosbervic or something.. and young T smashed on a kick return.. thats just to name a few... where are our brett whites ? or dallas johnsons? jeremy smiths.. adam blairs??mick crockers? we have no enforcers anymore... we need teams to fear our forwards and they dont,....

i think mclean is a little too soft... he is big.. but no aggression... and i also hear comments from the players about tohu needing to "wake up" and he comes across too chilled.. i know he did well against cronulla that week but mind u he was running at turnstile barba all game...

and just on bellamy nurturing NAS.... dont want him to debut too soon... what a crock... Folau debuted at what 17 or 18?... so come off it.. that's bullsh*t... NAS is older than him... lets get him out there asap...
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormdog wrote:It all stems from the NYC... way too young to be playing top-line footy... the pathway is backwards...
what are the scorelines in the NYC??? always something like 38-28 or 46-26... some ridiculous over the top scorelines... clearly attack is the priority there... so all the top NYC kids coming through to the the top 25 squad carry their sh*t defensive attitudes into the top 25 squad... ever since the NYC was introduced and thunderbolts kids started coming up from through the grades we started to lose that accountability in defense and letting a few tries is was the norm... absolutely poor...

I also agree with Alex Corvo leaving.... however it contradicts given the season Brisbane had under him last year...

I also agree we have no aggression i never ever see a player race out and put a massive hit on a forward .... never... does bellamy not want this??? its always the storm players getting wacked in defense.. i,e TLL wacked by that serbian manly player that was on debut.. tjrosbervic or something.. and young T smashed on a kick return.. thats just to name a few... where are our brett whites ? or dallas johnsons? jeremy smiths.. adam blairs??mick crockers? we have no enforcers anymore... we need teams to fear our forwards and they dont,....

i think mclean is a little too soft... he is big.. but no aggression... and i also hear comments from the players about tohu needing to "wake up" and he comes across too chilled.. i know he did well against cronulla that week but mind u he was running at turnstile barba all game...

and just on bellamy nurturing NAS.... dont want him to debut too soon... what a crock... Folau debuted at what 17 or 18?... so come off it.. that's bullsh*t... NAS is older than him... lets get him out there asap...
Some interesting points mate, particularly around the NYC potential impacts.

One thing though is I don't believe you can compare the age you start a winger and a prop/second row - hugely different contact and body maturity needed
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I say just give NAS some game time .He will learn faster playing than not playing at all.
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

More of the same from the storm , I feel like others here , Bellamy needs to completely change the game plan or something .
Maybe a couple of chips over the defence for anyone but billy as they just smash him , or cross field kicks from midfield early to get the defences unsure . Looking at our team individually we have red hot talent all over the park but barely play well together .
This isn't something new its been happening for a while . Teams have worked us out and the refs don't like us .
If we don't change now we will finish around 8th and bow out first week , were way better that !
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

There are positives. No team scored more tries than us in each of our four games. Goal kicking the difference in 2 losses. 3 of them on the road.
Looked like the heat zapped them 2nd half. You can't make that many tackles and expect to have line speed in defence. Give NAS a shot. Couldn't be worse than Weston.
This week will be the one time we destroy the Warriors. I can feel a big victory Coming on.