Round 2 vs Manly

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cherry_Poppins wrote:
glennb wrote:This these happen to us last year and ended us costing a spot in the top four. Des Hasler gets his "fine" this week and the Bulldogs get four penalties in the first six minutes on Friday night and win the plenty count 9-4. Best money he never had to pay. Tings will never change because we are not in Sydney.
Wait a moment

You blokes are going off about bad refs
We're going off about them too

Double movement was a lineball call, ref said no try so no try it remained but they rode you blokes home a fair way didn't they? So many dodgy penalties going one way in the second half to make a contest out of it all after a quick call of no try that could've went either way on review

I won't say if it was or was not a try but the on field official would've gotten benefit of the doubt anyway

But let's look at the facts

Both coaches should consider losing $10k because those refs were terrible

Good luck until we meet again

Hey mate me thinks its time for a new TV maybe something with high definition or 4K so you can see the detail!
Oh and watching the game with a copy of the rules may also help but if that doesn't work give me a call.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Manly fans complaining about the refereeing after that hand holding, clearly biased effort by Maxwell? Surely you are taking the piss???

It is like someone being given a free car and then they complain that it's not a Ferarri.

Seems they can find anything to whinge about in Manly.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm back on here for 2015 and appears the refs abject incompetence is back too.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we get pinged on the last tackle and instead of giving a penalty on the last to Manly the ref stops play so Burgess can release Cam. Wtf!
I don't like complaining about the refs but last night was shocking.
Ref RIGHT there and calling Greens second try a no try!
Wtf!!
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What about Koribette being tackled and never being let go by Snake then passing which directly lead to a try

Those refs wanted a close game and they got it at all costs
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Manly fans complaining about the refereeing after that hand holding, clearly biased effort by Maxwell? Surely you are taking the piss???

It is like someone being given a free car and then they complain that it's not a Ferarri.

Seems they can find anything to whinge about in Manly.
The entire second half favored the away side
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The entire first half favored the home side, including a try that was not given. The very first penalty of the game on Manly line was a rubbish call and it just got worse and worse after that.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

[quote="Cherry_Poppins"]What about Koribette being tackled and never being let go by Snake then passing which directly lead to a try[/quote]

Watch it again. Korobiete's ball carrying arm never hits the ground.

As I said, you are deluded if you think Manly were hard done by.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't know why people even bother with trolls.

Back the game itself. Finucane played 18 less minutes last night than he did round 1. Proctor and Hinchcliffe both played around 10 minutes more. Hopefully that doesn't happen very often. I really love the mongrel Finucane adds to the pack. Would also like to see more Glasby over Proctor.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One of the most frustrating things from the game, Hiku's profound milking then arrogant smile. Plays the game like a real b*tch.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The 'no try' call on Young was a travesty and a momentum killer that gave every advantage to Manly and of course they scored. After that we were caught napping defensively & I'm sure the team is going to get that in the neck all this week.
Cam isn't game fit yet (behind the others by a country mile) and isn't doing the smart dummy runs we know him for & which the other hookers in the comp are relishing (Segyaro, Luke etc).
The Cronk / Green combo is yet to gel but could end up being one of the best in the comp.
Young made too many errors, loose ball carries mainly but a couple were with 'help' from Manly which weren't picked up as strips - yet Mason's loose ball carry was and Manly scored after that gift as well.
Our forwards stepped up big time defensively and their tackle count was fairly evenly spread - the least I've seen for Cam which shows they were taking care of him imo. Great to see.
Will was great and the right side attack is going to be something else once Young holds onto the ball.
Don't know why they don't use Marika more - his kick return was AMAZING, and his other runs strong. Mann is the weak link there but has some clever plays as well, in 2 minds about him but hopefully improvement comes with game time.
Finucane is awesome and was sorely needed, thought TLL went ok too.
Like the switch around with Glasby, Proctor etc. - as someone said, the timing needs to be worked on.

Heaps of positives and improvement to come imo - the more this team plays together the better they will be. Our defence (apart from that 10 min lapse) is much improved this year and our attack is going to be the best its been for a while once things gel...looking forward to the evolution
stormdog
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I agree with all the calls in respect to the dodgy ref decisions.

But lets break it down as to why we didn't come away with the points:

- Manly were always going to be up for this game given the position of their club.
- 5 day turnaround... belly commented before the game they had 2 x 20 minute practice runs the whole week... this took its toll... we needed alot work coming out of the dragons game and didnt have any time to work at it...
- Young T is not cut out for first grade... he is average i get that he is a Victorian product and the nostalgia surrounding it all but he makes too many mistakes and i'm always holding my breathe when he gets the ball. Fonua is a better winger as he brings so much punch coming back from kick returns.
- Billy Slater got some rough treatment the whole night... blocking, taken out.. etc...
- Dayne Weston is the biggest dero dreg that adds nothing to the team.. did he even take a hit up? imagine NAS out there ? enthusiastic young kid yearning to play first grade...
- whenever our starting front row comes off we get points put on us.. it shows that we have an in effective bench in TLL & Weston.
- as soon as bromich comes on we score points, dominate the ruck and get good go forward.. hence why id get rid of at least weston.... im not convinced TLL is ideal for us either.. the modern day prop has foot work.. TLL doesnt, weston doesnt... look at JWH.. how good was he back in the day but now..... he has no foot work hence why he has dropped off the NZ team... and the same will be found out about guys like David klemmer... YOU NEED FOOT WORK !!!
- we need more agression in our pack... we need a jermey smith type of player... we dont have that..
- very disappointing game for mclean... too many penalties.. he'll get dropped or benched next round....

Some good points:

- I like Blake Green, he helps cooper out so much more by being that extra ball player in the back line... great 2 x trys too... i like what i see...
- Marika is a absolute champ.. just before he made that break i said to the Mrs.. watch Marika.. he will carve now.. boom he did.... such a good player...
- Glasby, awesome running... but dont be fooled.. remember he was fresh legs and Protor plays alot of minutes so dont be hard on him...
- cam smith kicked well tonight bar one.... he kicked a screamer from the sideline... everyone was quick to forget that...
- Chambers carved matai.. although i think matai is injured and past his best...
- Mann has awesome footwork... i'm trying to think where he is best suited though... if he was 5 kgs heavier he would be great...

rumours:
- Nate Myles to the storm.... thoughts? i dont think we need him...

Nostalgic
- i miss GI.. imagine if we had him still... unstoppable....
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like Blake green but I think his stopping Cooper from playing how he normally does...coopers spark has gone

Cooper needs to dominate someone and take control...with Blake playing it's like his taken over and coopers gone
stormdog
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

i disagree with Blake taking away coopers "spark" you will find most of the back line movements involved both blake green and cooper with cooper linking as a 5/8 more than a half back... especially going from left to right movements where chambers was running all over matai....

i found that when green commanded the ball on the left side particularly in the 2nd half we made in roads, i found cooper was running the same plays he did last year to no effect when he commanded the ball.... short to proctor on quite a few occasion...

Cooper is always the focus when it comes to video work from the opposition hence why green became unnoticed with his running game and scored 2 close range tries.. you will find that opposition will be doing a lot more homework on green now and will take the focus of cooper now with cooper able to get his spark back...

all in good time...

the troops will have great prep this week and will be able to get some good training runs in.. plus a rocket or 2 from belly.... they'll turn it on for the supporters this week and will really rip into the sharks
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dale Finucane set to miss this week after being charged with dangerous contact on Peta Hiku.