Round 1 vs Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think that we werent properly tested today. The dragons offered little in attack and as the announcers kept hammering they were standing far too deep and playing ball waaaay before the defensive line. A fast team not affraid to bring the ball to us may have us on our toes.

Billy had alot of great moments which can silence alot of the doubters but that brain fart with nightingale was a coach killer.

I like our 'in their face' attitude that is slowly creeping in and Finucane is doing alot of it, chambers is continuing his defensive impact with that hit on george rose. He is starting to remind me of steve matai (but not shit or made of glass)
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I didn't think it was possible for George Rose to play any fatter than what he was, but full credit to him - he keeps proving me wrong.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Finucane was a wall in the middle of the park, very impressive, very very happy with this signing.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:I didn't think it was possible for George Rose to play any fatter than what he was, but full credit to him - he keeps proving me wrong.
The idea is to make him so fat that nobody is fit enough to go around lol.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater had a good game, made some great takes from bombs and broke a number of tackles. Silly thing to do to Nightingale, Nightingale wouldn't have got back onside anyway.

Chambers looked pretty good, bell ringer on Rose. Did well to sneak over for try.

MK5 sensational. Looked dangerous every time he got the ball. Resulting in man crushes all round.

Green solid in defence. Other than kick out on full didn't make any errors in attack. Although didn't provide a lot of creativity.

Big fan of Finucane, reminds me a lot of DJ just puts his hand up for work in both attack and defence. One handling error.

Kaufusi showed some aggression. Will get a holiday from judiciary. I assume TLL will replace him. Didn't think there was much in Jesse or Dale's high tackles.

What about Smith you wouldn't know he had no pre-season and was meant to be back in round 4. Sensational.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Poor Warren Smith was practically in tears during the call tonight.

Even with the refs on their side the Lizards still couldn't get up.

Good defensive display. Fark all posession in the first half and the bastards still couldn't crack us. More of the same against Manly on Saturday please!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think brandy custard was about to slash his wrist when it was apparent Storm was going to win. Never gave us credit all night.. can they stop saying that porker rose was an ex Storm player, he never made the grade at Melbourne.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I imagine Bromwich and Finucane will get off. Wasn't really anything in either.

Every time Koroibete had the ball I was just waiting for him to break through and run the length of the field. Looked close a couple of times.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our left edge defence looks instantly better than last year with Green and Mann - I have no doubt that's what got them both the round 1 start.

A lot of rust for the first game of the year, far too many errors, but that was a win that will have pleased Bellyache and the boys no doubt also, as it was built on defence, which at this stage of the year shows great attitude.
St George were poor, and as the callers kept saying, far too deep in attack, so hard to say whether we made them play deep, or they helped our defence, but we made solid reads pretty much all night.

Scrappy, but 2 points is 2 points... and beating St George is always fun!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some stats from Monday's game:
Metres gained
Koroibete 221 metres from 16 runs
Tonumaipea 184 metres from 18 runs
Slater 156 metres from 18 runs
Chambers 141 metres from 17 runs
Bromwich 136 metres from 15 runs
Harris 122 metres from 11 runs
Mann 111 metres from 12 runs

Tackles
Smith 48
Harris 44
Finucane 41
Bromwich 35
Hinchcliffe 35
Proctor 32
Green 27

Missed tackles
Cronk 7
Bromwich 6
Harris 6

(Low) minutes played
Kaufusi 14
Weston 15
Glasby 29
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mann was really solid. Did a lot of his work running from dummy half. Hope he keeps that up.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah I thought Mann went well. Probably needs to pass a bit more.