Melbourne storm HOME game in NZ

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Totally agree that the way this has been done behind closed doors and then just announced after we've all spent our hard earned on membership is wrong and the need to apply for a refund means that many members who forget or are not aware of the option will 'donate' to the club is wrong. no argument from me on that score.
Melbourne Storm (The club as an holistic entity) did not rort the salary cap, Powerful and influential directors/CEO's (and arguably, players) did and when they were found out left the club, as I said before i do not support individuals that are employed by the club I support Melbourne Storm

I find it frustrating that people threaten to cancel/hand in there membership, who is really hit by this action.
1, you no longer have membersip so unless you pay at the gate you do not get to see your team play live. and must then watch on TV!
2, if enough people take the same stand then the club hits financial trouble and initially performances and results suffer and ultimately the team has to fold so nobody gets to see live rugby league.
3 People of Victoria then complain there is no NRL club in Melbourne

If the team does relocate (which I don't think it will) then by buying and keeping a membership I know i've done my bit to try and keep them in Melbourne.
Buying membership is a luxury item and I fortunate to be able to afford one but if times are hard this would be one of the first things to go but would not stop me supporting the team.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well said Coupy73. I can't see Storm re-locating. I'm looking at it this way - Storm have won Premiership's our Members are ONLY just reaching 15,000 with all the success that we have had. We must look to expand. Although in saying that I am not thrilled with the way things are being handled at the Storm. So if we aren't happy we should attend the next Meeting. Be interesting to see how many people turn up.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I have read all the information the club has sent and I am also not happy. I will be taking my refund. The web site tells me to go to the preference centre. I can not find that. Can someone help? I do not really want to have to ring the club.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

glennb wrote:I have read all the information the club has sent and I am also not happy. I will be taking my refund. The web site tells me to go to the preference centre. I can not find that. Can someone help? I do not really want to have to ring the club.
Follow the link in the e-mail from the club.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thanks Done.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The fact of the matter is that this is the very first time since the club’s inception nearly 20 years ago that a home game has been sold off to another city/country. We’ve taken home games to the MCG in 2000 and Docklands in 2008 and 2010, but they are in the SAME CITY.

This is uncharted territory for the club, and after being a member since 2000 (that’s 16 consecutive seasons this year), I feel that the direction this club is going is downhill. The new owners have promised the world but in reality have delivered absolutely nothing to loyal members. Charging an arm and a leg to attend a trial match and now selling off games to NZ is basically holding the fans to ransom and are just a couple of a number of issues about the direction the club is going. Melbourne Storm should be promoting the game in Victoria, not NZ.

In regards to relocation, well I’m really surprised to even hear it could even be a consideration. In the worst case scenario that the Melbourne Storm do relocate (although very unlikely at the present), I will not be following them to wherever they go to and I’ll support a Sydney club (I wouldn’t abandon the NRL as I am a passionate rugby league supporter) instead out of protest for the serious breach of trust the club would be committing to the members and fans.

To all the faceless people who work behind the scenes at the club, take a good hard look at yourself for the sake of those who stuck by you during the bad times in the early 2000s when the club struggled for a presence in Melbourne and the 2010 salary cap disaster. This is a great club and it should not even be a consideration at all to suggest that a now established club that has been around for almost 20 years would relocate.
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Bring back News Limited. LOL. This club will never make money unless the NRL give us a large slice of the pay tv money. If you don't like the decision then claim your 1/12 of money back. Going to the media isn't a solution, it's not like every media outlet wouldn't know the story and they know some members would be upset.

If the club are going to make some good money from Napier council and ticket sales then go for it. You'd think they would be more money going to Tassie but we will have to wait and see. I'm sure they would have made enquiries with them.

If the NRL was involved in the decision then I hope they told them no more Monday night home games, that pisses me off more then moving a game overseas.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't know if the Storm leaders read these posts but here is what will happen with my memberships consisting of two family A reserve and one family general if one they start moving homes games away regularly and heaven forbid relocate. 1) Kiss the memberships goodbye I plan my year around the season miss out on work so I can go to the games but like most people I don't like to be F-ed around so I will save the money and work and sit in front of my big ass TV and watch it from home.
2) Forget all tops and Storm gear don't need it which is also a big saving when you talk three families.
3) I will always follow a Melbourne team while we have but if we don't then I will go back to following the team that I followed before I moved to Melbourne
4) The NRL would miss out on a TV deal that would include Melbourne.

and I could go on but if you owner are as smart as you think you are then be careful as one thing I have learnt since moving to Melbourne people will leave you high and dry if you do the wrong thing buy them.

We lost fans when we moved from the graveyard then lost some more when we moved back lost members in 2010 but pick some sympathy members that did not stick and now just when member number are getting solid you want to play with the baby just as it was getting.

In finishing they cant be that dumb!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, let's take one of our very few "traditional" fixtures and play it in a foreign country.

Whose bright idea was that?!?! Not in favor. At all. Unless the club wants to foot the bill for a cheap flight on Tiger for me to go.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

This is all really sad...
From where we sit,
It costs us as Storm fans much more than most of you $ wise to follow the Storm.

From where we sit,
We see this as a chance to really positively grow the base of Storm into a untapped area of NZ (NOTHING to do with the Warriors), following the performance of our Maori boys who played in the 4 nations, strengthening the connections already established with the Lomax brothers & their league academy in Wellington (think NAS & T's recruitment & many more to come), and so much more...

The unfounded? fears some hold about the new ownership (a kiwi, an Aussie & a Pom) & building some sort of paranoia about relocation is beyond our comprehension really - where does this come from?

What was a joyous occasion for us has lost something. So used to seeing Sydney-centric bias & tbh it's the first time I've seen it from Melbourne fans - understand where it's coming from but flabbergasted all the same.

We're all looking forward to it soooo much over here & feel for you guys....but now the occasion is somewhat tarnished. Even during the worst of times we never saw this kind of reaction. Over one game played in NZ, really?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:This is all really sad...
From where we sit,
It costs us as Storm fans much more than most of you $ wise to follow the Storm.

From where we sit,
We see this as a chance to really positively grow the base of Storm into a untapped area of NZ (NOTHING to do with the Warriors), following the performance of our Maori boys who played in the 4 nations, strengthening the connections already established with the Lomax brothers & their league academy in Wellington (think NAS & T's recruitment & many more to come), and so much more...

The unfounded? fears some hold about the new ownership (a kiwi, an Aussie & a Pom) & building some sort of paranoia about relocation is beyond our comprehension really - where does this come from?

What was a joyous occasion for us has lost something. So used to seeing Sydney-centric bias & tbh it's the first time I've seen it from Melbourne fans - understand where it's coming from but flabbergasted all the same.

We're all looking forward to it soooo much over here & feel for you guys....but now the occasion is somewhat tarnished. Even during the worst of times we never saw this kind of reaction. Over one game played in NZ, really?
Enjoy the game Chip along with other NZ Storm brethren.

People will pull their heads in over time when they realise that their response was an over reaction to something fairly minor in the big picture of Storm's existence.

Please don't let this forum diminish your excitement...that would be a real shame.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would someone be able to recall the membership price for last year and compare it to this year?

has the price inflated by anything significant?

IF it has gone up , My conspiracy theory hat says the prices jacked up to negate the 'refund' if any of us choose to take it.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm Spirit wrote:
Chip wrote:This is all really sad...
From where we sit,

From where we sit,

Enjoy the game Chip along with other NZ Storm brethren.

People will pull their heads in over time when they realise that their response was an over reaction to something fairly minor in the big picture of Storm's existence.

Please don't let this forum diminish your excitement...that would be a real shame.

Thanks SS...we will relish seeing the Storm play over here & enjoy it immensely I'm sure! We really do understand where everyone is coming from & hope their support of Storm continues (positive it will in the end) because this is NO ODINARY TEAM and has NO ODINARY FANS ( ;D ).

"Would someone be able to recall the membership price for last year and compare it to this year?

has the price inflated by anything significant?

IF it has gone up , My conspiracy theory hat says the prices jacked up to negate the 'refund' if any of us choose to take it."

Love your posts Nacho, not sure if it's for real but my tin foil hat says inflation is a b***h ::)
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still cant see the logic in this, such a loss making club looking to maximise income while minimising profit
They decide on Napier, a small Rugby Union obsessed town with around 57,000 people. The cost to get the entire support staff, grounds set up, players, insurances, accommodation etc.. (sure alot will be free through sponsorships) would surely add up compared to a regular match day exp. Then what about Dragons? Are they given anything in return for now being forced to cross the ditch?

Then theres areas such as Geelong or Bendigo with around 178,000 and 82,000 people respectively (Heck! even contemplate Mildura with only 30,000). We have so much potential at our doorstep and the club disregards growing the game even more in our state? I imagine that many fans would be willing to have a bit of a road trip to these regional locations, the economy in those towns would go gangbusters and locals will remember the time that the storm family came to share a match.

The fact that so many of our storm faithful are not able to attend a home game will mean the atmosphere will be lost. The locals will compare it with Hurricane matches (I've been told thats the super 15 team of choice around there) and we cant compare.