Dale finucane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Forwards look good for 2015.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Slightly off topic. ... but every time I read his name, I pronounce it 'fin-u-cane' but I'm pretty sure I've heard commentators say 'ph-noo-can' any ideas on which is accurate? I'd imagine I'm wrong. ... but rabs & friends have a habit of mispronouncing names for years before correcting themselves (eg. Gillett was one I thought they got wrong. ..I think it was at least a year or two before they stopped saying 'Gillette' - the best a man can get. ...)
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I've always read it like your first pronunciation but it's supposed to be the second. That's how it's pronounced in today's training update video.

Ray Warren still pronounces Widdop as "wi-DOP". Still irritates me even though he doesn't play for us anymore.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Love the pack!!!
Jesse, Jordy, Tommie, Proc, Big T, Cane, Hinchy, Kenny, Timmy, Solo and Captain Cam!! 2015 is ours!!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very happy to sign Finucane. Like others I think our starting back row should be:
11 KP
12 Tohu
13 Finucane

Even when Cam is back from injury Hinchy can drop to the bench and then Hinchy can come on as replacement in back row or if we lead or (hopefully not) trail by plenty can come on with 10 mins or so to go to replace Cam.

Finucane reminds me a fair bit of DJ so very happy for him to be at Storm. In a couple of years I think he will be a mainstay of NSW pack (not sure if that is good or bad).
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote:
I have been dying to see T play in Hoffy's right edge backrow position
That'd be 'left'.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the other right lol
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
yourhero wrote:
That'd be 'left'.
Yes, obviously. I realised yesterday that I had stupidly put the wrong side. I don't know why... I am very clear on Hoffy's side.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote:
TC wrote:
yourhero wrote:
That'd be 'left'.
Yes, obviously. I realised yesterday that I had stupidly put the wrong side. I don't know why... I am very clear on Hoffy's side.
Yeah, I figured that. I wasn't having a dig at you.
I was just clarifying for anyone who doesn't watch a lot of Storm Games
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All good mate, I didn't take it as a dig. I did go to change it but realised that after a certain period of time, you cannot edit a post.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

and we've all seen it lol
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

A much improved player who could have made the Australian squad.

Love this bloke.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Do we think that Cameron is the same person as the troll we had coming in to the finals series?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

brisbanestorm wrote:Do we think that Cameron is the same person as the troll we had coming in to the finals series?
Yes
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -finucane/

Scouting Stories: Dale Finucane
melbournestorm.com.au
Thu 3 May 2018

If you needed to build the perfect rugby league player Dale Finucane would probably be it.

Tough, uncompromising, fearless on the field yet a genuine person off it.

That is why it was seemingly a gift from above when Storm officials took a call from Finucane's agent at the end of the 2014 season.

The then 23-year-old was fresh off playing his second Grand Final in three years for the Bulldogs but had spent the first 66 games of his career coming predominantly off the bench.

A competitive beast such as Finucane was determined to taste more first grade action.

"(The Bulldogs) were willing to let him go because he was looking to get run-on time," Storm Recruitment Manager Paul Bunn said.

"He was coming off the bench for the Dogs and he really thought that his opportunity to be a run on player would be at Storm, that is why they contacted us."

So negotiations got underway over that summer.

There was plenty of back and forth, as there is often is with these things, but the signature was secured by Christmas.

The timing was fitting because Storm officials finally had a man who ticked every box on their wish list.

"He is a country kid, a true gentleman, an ultimate professional, why would you not have him at your Club?" Bunn said.

"I loved the way he played coming up (through juniors). He knew how to scrap and have a real go, that is what I liked about him. Everyone you met would just say how good a kid he was."

What adds to Finucane's charm is the fact he has more than just one string to his bow.

Storm fans know him largely as the accomplished, Premiership-winning footballer and arguably the toughest player in the competition.

However there is much more to Finucane than meets the eye. The hard man is also an accomplished surfer, talented guitarist and a great singer.

In Bunn's words - "They don't often come around like that"

Having hobbies outside of football may seem like a trivial thing but scouts play a lot closer attention to that side of a player than fans might think.

"It is very important," Bunn said.

"If they've got hobbies and other outside interests, they can shift their focus and not get stressed about their footy all of the time.

"Otherwise they sit around and X-Box. It is proven that kids who sit around playing that stuff hour after hour, it stuffs them around. You only need to read about the findings and the studies into how it detracts away from your performance."

Finucane is now a member of the senior leadership group and is signed in Melbourne until at least the end of the 2021 season.

It is no secret that he is one of the players in line to inherit the baton of leadership at Melbourne Storm sooner rather than later.

That leaves the Club in a strong position moving forward.

"Dale is old school, Craig Bellamy-style and has leadership qualities too, he is a leader of men," Bunn said.

"I hope he is a torch bearer for us, I'd imaging the coaches would think that too. I am surprised he hasn't tasted more rep footy in the Origin arena.

"If he was a Queenslander he would be in that side, he is built for it."