Pre season interruption

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AAMI Park tenants Melbourne Demons, Victory and Storm will move out of the Olympic Park precinct for a month during January’s Asian Cup.

The three clubs will relinquish their training facilities at the site just after Christmas and are intended to return by Australia Day.

The Demons will train at their alternative base of Casey Fields and also head to Maroochydore for a pre-season camp, while Victory will base themselves at Melbourne Grammar and the Storm at Xavier College.
For the AFL and NRL clubs it’s a minor disruption to their pre-season training schedules, but for Victory it comes right in the middle of the A-League season - which does go in to recess from January 6-24.

AAMI Park will host six group matches - including the opening game between Australia and Kuwait - as well a quarter final that will also involve the Socceroos should they top Group A.

Also, the area at the ground currently used as the Demons, Storm and Victory gym will be transformed into a massive media centre expected to house as many as 3500 members of the press.

Asian Cup local organising committee chief Michael Brown said talks were also underway with Collingwood about using the Westpac Centre to accommodate performers during the staging of the January 9 opening ceremony.

“Each of the Melbourne Football Club, the Victory and Storm has varied their training program for us, which quite remarkable. I can’t thank them enough,” Brown said.

“I’m not sure anywhere else in Australia could bring all of those people together except in Melbourne because of the city’s passion for sport.
“We took the lead, there was a lot of leg work and we had to talk to a lot of people - even down to how we get ice baths and exercise bikes (to the temporary facilities), where are they going to do their warm-ups, where are they going to do their swims. All that sort of stuff.”
Storm and Victory’s administration staff will still remain at the ground during the tournament.

Brown said the Asian Cup local organising committee was covering any displacement costs for the three clubs.

“And they’re minimal,” he said.

“We’re talking in the 10s of thousands. There hasn’t been any huge demands of ‘give us a massive amount of money’.

“The relocation hasn’t cost much at all - at the schools we’re just paying to have the grass cut and a few other bits and pieces.”

This has actully really made me mad...it's our home not the soccer why are we just letting them take our home ground...so now our player have to train at some school out in the middle of nowhere with no familierality how crap is that
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Geez can the nrl get much worst at doing nothing to help non sydney clubs, except Broncos ?
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Let's not forget a few things.
Firstly, it is not solely our facility, Aami was built to accommodate all rectangular field football codes.
Secondly, the Asia cup is taking place during the soccer season, not our NRL season.
Thirdly, how much money is this tournament going to pump into the Victorian economy? I would imagine a shiteload.
Lastly, the most affected will be the A League clubs because of the hiatus in their season whilst the Asia Cup is on.
The Sydney clubs probably won't be affected as much due to the fact that most have low rate suburban cow paddocks.
I think it's great that Australia can host a tournament such as this. I believe it's a fairly big deal. Doesn't mean I'd go see any of it though.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Isn't AAMI owned by the Melbourne & Olypic Park Trust ??

Storm is a tenant...like several other clubs.

Not ideal but probably just the way it rolls for a major football event while Storm is in pre season traiing
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:so now our player have to train at some school out in the middle of nowhere with no familierality how crap is that
It's 20 minutes from AAMI Park - hardly "out in the middle of nowhere".
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

That game for drama queens is slowly taking over in Australia unfortunately >:(
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I guess that's what happens when the game is bigger than just a national comp....

Probably the wrong place to post it....but i was thinking about that kind of thing the other day - watching some old finals games (well...early 90s old...) Why not have a top 5? The comp is so close, that the top 5 would enable the actual best side to shine through imo.

What about the teams that miss out, you ask? Well - in conjunction with the finals, you have an actual WCC, take the next 3-5 teams from the NRL, add a couple of teams from the UK, maybe NZ and Samoa/Fiji (due to their 4 nations involvement) and have a separate finals series.....play it in NZ one year, UK another or whatever - bring the game to the people....hell, have a wildcard spot (or two) for a team from USA/Canada or wherever - and then play a finals series, using whatever format, doubt it matters.....I reckon it would be a great way to grow the game - people whinge about the amount of games etc etc...All Stars...9's....scratch the lot, and share the workload around - it doesn't always have to be the top few playing everything - anyway, i'm going off topic in my own off topic post....

Yeah the aussies would probably roll the competition......but it would do big things for the game in other countries if for example the USA had a team that won it all one year....even if that's the biggest stage for Americans in rugby league...it would be a step to aspire to - followed hopefully by international glory (and dominance, as Americans like to do once they are involved in a sport...)

Boom - international game, more $$s... more talent....more everything~! You're welcome NRL....now do it 8)