17 for 17

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In the style of ESPN's 30 for 30 docos, I will name my best 17 of the 17 years of our existence, though I will do it slightly differently than the usual best of teams, I will pick my best 17 seasons by individual players. For example, Billy is the undisputed best fullback in our history, but, Robbie Ross had a couple of amazing years and so it becomes a more difficult choice, who was better, Ross in '99, Slater in '08 or Slater in '11?

The first selection I will reveal is a bench position.

14.Ryan Hinchcliffe (2010)

A bit of a no-brainer really, the only player to win player of the year from a predominantly bench-starting position. Hinchy of 2010 was explosive out of dummy half, running rings around tired forwards as he came on after 15-20 minutes. He was solid in defence too. But the big thing, was how well he covered for Cam Smith after he got hurt in the ANZAC test. He proved himself to be a capable replacement at both hooker and lock and even wet out into the centres and bagged a double on one occasion.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Should be interesting to see how this turns out
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nice topic.
Danny Williams was a good bench player too.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Position number 2...

Right Wing.

This one was a tough one. There seem to have been quite a few guys have a standout year on that flank. To that end, I'll list who I considered:

Matt Geyer (1999). Huge year from Boof. 20 tries, 242 points, premiership (though he did move to 5/8 for the finals), origin debut and the winning goal, no less, in the grand final.

Steve Turner (2006). It was like Zapper was on a mission, first to prove himself as a first grader, then to show the Titans that he was a good signing, then to repay us after to changed his mind and stayed. 18 tries, including 3 in the finals (his record of crossing in finals would eventually extend to 9 tries in 13 games).

Sisa Waqa (2012). The back half of the year really, but, what a half a year it was. He announced himself with a double against Penrith and carried his damaging form in both attack and defence through to the grand final where his up and in defence may not have had him best on ground but, it certainly went a long way to winning the game.

Who do you pick here? I've given it to Geyer, but, only just.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And the halfback...

Another rally hard one. How do you split Kimmorley in 1999, Orford in 2004 and Cronk in 2013?

Kimmorley was brilliant. At the peak of his powers, he forced the Australian selectors to pick Andrew Johns at hooker to accommodate them both. 19 was the start of that for him, he dominated with his running game and his passing game firing on all cylinders, he swept the team to a premiership and nabbed himself the Clive Churchill Medal in the process. He was also our player of the year.

Orford in 2004 was difficult to contain. He sniffed out holes and burst through on those little legs before either scoring himself or passing it off to someone faster outside with great regularity. He was our player of the year, members player of the yer, leading point scorer and 4th on our tryscoring list.

Cooper Cronk finished off 2012 on top of the world and continued that through to 2013. He was best on ground in the first three games and many more after that. And he capped it all off by winning the Dally M.

This was possibly the most difficult choice of all. There are some positions coming up where it will only really be a choice between one player over a couple of years, not so here, we have been privileged to only have 3 halfbacks in our 17 years.

I've gone with Kimmorley. It's just too hard to ignore a year that forced the Australian selectors to move a NSW based future immortal out of position.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can understand your argument... I personally still would have gone Cronk 2013.

WCC, Dally M Medal, QLD halfback in a series win, Australian halfback (forcing a future Immortal to 5/8).

Great thread Matt and whilst everyone will have their own opinion, it's great reading yours. Keep me coming!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cronk + 1
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like I said, it was a tough decision and I wavered back and forth before deciding so I fully understand those of you who go for Cronk.

I'll deal next with the props. I'll name both at once so there will be a few nominations here.

Robbie Kearns (2003). You'd have thought that a couple of years from the end, old Kearnsy would've been slowing down and become just an impact player off the bench. Instead, if anything he lifted and seemed to play longer minutes as he sought to guide the young stars coming through the ranks through their first forays into first grade. He was massive, running for over 200 metres on at least one occasion that I can recall.

Rodney Howe (1998). Though he had years where he played more games and years where he won player of the year, Howe's introduction to the Storm in 1998 was perhaps his most impressive. He was big, mean and he bent the line with every run.

Jeff Lima (2008). He finished 2007 in good form and used that base to really stamp his authority on the competition throughout 2008. His runs, especially on the kick-off return were like somebody had shot a ball of muscle out of a cannon and he capped it off by claiming the best forward award at our end of year awards night.

Jesse Bromwich (2014). He should romp it in for our player of the year award this year. He has averaged some ridiculous number of runs and metres for a prop (without looking it up to confirm, I think it's something close to 15 run and 140 metres), he has a step at the line, an offload and is rock solid in defence. Has made the step up from good player to superstar and there is everything to suggest he can keep going with it.

Brett White (2007). He'd been steadily improving since his debut year in 2005. But, 2007 was the year that it started to come together for him. He began to play bigger minutes and bent the line almost at will.

Glenn Lazarus (1999). A sentimental nomination I suppose. Lazarus went out in style in his last year of first grade by captaining the team he'd helped put together to its maiden premiership. Definitely benefitted from the lack of an interchange cap which meant that he could go as hard as he wanted and then rest before going back to it.

I've decided to pick Kearns and Bromwich, narrowly ahead of Lima.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So far I have:

1.?
2.Geyer (1999)
3.?
4.?
5.?
6.?
7.Kimmorley (1999)
8.Kearns (2003)
9.?
10.J.Bromwich (2014)
11.?
12.?
13.?
14.Hinchcliffe (2010)
15.?
16.?
17.?

Coach - ?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Right Centre.

As good as Aaron Moule was at times, I have not been able to place him in my top 3 seasons by a right centre. What does this say about our right centres? Maybe that we've had some good ones, maybe that Moule didn't make the most of his talent, more likely somewhere in between.

So which are my top 3 nominees?

Steven Bell (2004). The year that he finally broke the shackles and dominated. What really set Bell apart was his traffic running, he seemed to be able to run through clumps of players like he was covered in oil at times. He lead our tryscoring for the year with an impressive 18, 3 of which were scored in the 2 finals played at the end of the year.

Israel Folau (2007). The rookie year of Israel Folau was as spectacular as it was revolutionary. What the Storm pioneered was having big outside backs (Folau, Inglis, King and Slater - though not big - can certainly jump) and putting low trajectory kicks on their opponents heads for them to jump over the top and score. In Izzy, we found the perfect man for this game plan and his 21 tries is still a club record.

Will Chambers (2012). Coming back from rugby union, nobody really knew what he would do. Would he be the player he'd shown glimpses of becoming prior to leaving? Or would he go backwards and languish in the lower grades? As it turned out, he was dominant. He scored tries like they were going out of style and became a very reliable defensive centre. Instrumental in our run to the premiership.

This was another tough choice. In the end I opted for Chambers. Folau was impressive, but he didn't have nearly as well rounded a game as Chambers and Bell never excited me like Chambers does when he gets outside his man. When in doubt, go with the entertainer, so Chambers is my man.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ohhh no I'd definitely go issy I can't get past the try scoring record in his first year
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Folau also played the majority of 2007 on the wing.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lock.

And the nominees are...

Tawera Nikau (1999). I can't help but wonder what could have been. Tawera Nikau was a tremendous physical presence during his two years at the club. He probably deserved the Clive Churchill that year. A big hitter, footwork at the line and an offload, what more could you want?

Scott Hill (2000). Did the experiment of playing a playmaker at lock work long term? No. But, in 2000, both Tasesa Lavea and Scott Hill were representative players who had big impacts on games. He had a way of slipping through the line and a world class flat pass.

Dallas Johnson (2007). I read once in the paper that when Johnson hit in a tackle, it was at several G's. That's hard. In 2007, Johnson was good enough to play for both Australia and Queensland. As he went on, he added more of a passing game so as to be more involved in attack, but, the reality was Johnson's impact on games peaked in 2007 when he was close to the best lock in the game.

My choice? Nikau. A big, free running forward who could hit and offload, and if there was any doubt, the '99 gf was enough to sway me. Over their careers, I'd go Johnson for longevity, but for impact over just one year, it's Nikau.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Love your work!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Second Rowers.

I'll deal with them all at once because some of them switched sides at times and so it's just too difficult to pin some of them down to a side (Hoffy being an obvious exception).

Because I need 2, I'll nominate 6 as I did with the props.

So, here they are.

Stephen Kearney (2001). Kearney was, in many ways, the quintessential modern edge forward. He was big, made metres, could offload and knew how to put a hit on in defence. In this year, he was 2nd in our player of the year award, ran in four tries and was once again a regular in the New Zealand team. He's also one of the few players to get a nomination from the Muppet Murray years.

David Kidwell (2004). Kidwell was surprisingly quick and agile for a man of his size. Had good hands too. 2006 was his second year as a Storm player, and, in my opinion, his finest hour. He hit holes hard, he offloaded, he hit in defence and he scored tries. 7 in total.

Ryan Hoffman (2012). Hoffy returned from his year in Super League as if he wanted to make up for lost time. He ran for over 100 metres in just about every game, had several try assists and was back to his solid best in defence as opposed to the less than convincing player he'd been in patches during 2010. Scored 11 tries too, including his first career double.

Kevin Proctor (2012). KP came on as a player and as a leader of our forward pack in 2012. He really started to hit holes on the right and tie up defenders. Always solid in defence, he can offload too which makes him dangerous. He seems to be very hard to take to ground, I would love to see him make more runs.

Sika Manu (2008). Sika was massive in 2008, especially towards the back end of the year. It really was the year that he made a name for himself which culminated in him playing for New Zealand in the world cup. What really stood out about Sika in 2008 was the way he ran over the tops of defenders (and that hit in the final against Brisbane).

Paul Marquet (1998). Marquet never drew a lot of headlines for his play, but he was the sort of player Bellamy would’ve loved. No nonsense, defensively sound and didn’t miss games. In 1998, he was a large part of setting up the Storm’s on field success in the early years by being an experienced head in the big moments.

And the two I’ve gone with are not going to surprise anyone. Kearney and Hoffman but, Manu almost slipped in there.