We need a new goal kicker ASAP

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cam’s time as our first choice goal kicker should come to an end. Currently in his ninth year as our first choice kicker (since 2006), he just isn’t kicking them like he did years ago. Seriously, 2/8 in the last two weeks is simply unacceptable, it cost us the game last week (and countless other games in the past), with him missing a relatively easy shot on his preferred side for a left footer half way between the posts and sideline after Proctor’s try and then the penalty from the sideline. It is woeful. Look at the other kickers in the league (Adam Reynolds, Pat Richards, Jarrod Croker, Michael Gordon, Trent Hodkinson etc.), this year they are kicking at over 80% this year and Cam currently is kicking at a mediocre 68.85% this year. Something needs to be done.

Even this week, 2/6 is not acceptable. I know we had the game won after a certain point, but if that had have been a closer result, I’m sure a lot of fans would have been nervous if yet again, Cam’s deplorable goal kicking was about to cost us another game.

Goal kicking is a very underrated and important part of rugby league. Please Bellyache, find a new goal kicker. I’m not saying we need to find a Hazem El Masri, but just as long as they practice for a long time at training and are able to kick high pressure goals. We’ve given Cam the benefit of the doubt for too long because well, it’s Cameron Smith, but it’s seriously time to cut the sentimental crap out and for the sake of the club, WE NEED A NEW GOAL KICKER ASAP. End of rant.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We really don't...whenever there is a record to be broken like cams trying to do it always takes a few extra weeks

It happens every time there is a record it happened when Bellamy was trying to reach so many wins it happened when billy was trying to reach so many try's scored now it's happening again

Once he gets there I'm sure he will start kicking better

In saying that we proberly do need a second kicker but it's also will cam let anyone else kick
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also apparently Cameron was sick all last week and didn't train at all
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. We really aren't good enough anymore to carry an average goal kicker. Every missed conversion could comeback to cost us a spot inside the top 8.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Is it worth bringing Cody Walker in for Ben Roberts just for his great goal kicking?
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Give Tohu another crack at it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

agree
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I just remembered it also cost us the semi final last year aswell. Both teams scored three tries, the only difference was Cam kicked 2/3 and Tyrone Roberts for Newcastle kicked 3/3. Pretty easy to work out how we lost that game.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I prefer a back kicking so possibly someone like Duffie if he's still around and fit but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Blake Green kicks goals??
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think it is way too late in the season to be changing kicker effectively, especially as there are no other recognised kickers in the team. Harris, Roberts etc. would probably have to put an insane amount of practice in now for them to be consistent which I don't think is realistic at this time of the year.

I do think we should change though and I would like our kicker next year to be someone who doesn't carry any other significant roles in the team. Blake Green might be an option but a quick check of RLP says he's never kicked a goal. Probably the best option would be to get Tohu to practice over the off season.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just a thought.....completely insane and impossible....but wouldn't it be cool if in a year or two JT comes down and plays with his mates for a year (once they retire from rep footy) and bag himself a premiership with us (whilst kicking the goals all Beckham-stylez and helping us achieve it) A total NBA style team stack....I know, batshit crazy...and the NRL would never let it happen even if it became a possibility....but that'd be wicked, i wouldn't care if we had four guys over 30 in the most pivotal (bad pun..) positions - especially given who they are....that's money right there!

But yeah, totally agree we need a new kicker....said it last year when i thought Cam just looked really tired and defeated in just about every conference/interview that i saw - he doesn't have that same look this year as far as i can tell....but his kicking has clearly dropped again anyway.....I have no legit suggestions to add beyond what has already been said.....I'd go with Tohu personally....unless we bring in someone that is a gun at kicking goals....

I will add this though - if winning a game comes down to whether or not we convert every try that's been scored etc....then we don't deserve to win anyway. (unless it's a Greg Bird strip situation....then i'll be fuming! :P)
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Here’s a list of all our first choice goal kickers for years gone by (stats according to the Rugby League Tables and Stats website):

1998 – Craig Smith (Winger) – He was a very good left footer and was very good at high pressure goals and if he had a longer career he could have boosted his percentage to well above the 73.49% he has. His goal kicking for the ’99 finals pretty much was one of the main factors we won the premiership.

1999 – Matt Geyer (Winger) – When Craig Smith was dropped for Matt Geyer for most of ’99 (except for when he came into the side for the finals), Boofa did the goal kicking and for what I remember, he was very below par (kicking at a woeful even for those days of sandcastles and no scientific kicking tees, 61.36% for that year). Glad Craig Smith was made the primary goal kicker for the finals otherwise I doubt we would have won the premiership. Also the 20 tries Boofa scored for the year along with him kicking goals pretty much helped him win the top NRL point scorer that year.

2000 – Tasesa Lavea (Five-Eighth) – Boofa didn’t return to being chief goal kicker again for his career and in 2000 we had Ces who was not much better than him (kicking at 66.39% that year).

2001-05– Matt Orford (Halfback) – After Ces was relegated to a benchwarmer for most of 2001, Ox took over and became our primary goal kicker for the rest of the five years he was at the club, and although for ’04 & ’05 Cam joined him to kick goals on a number of occasions, Ox was always known as the primary kicker. While he was relatively accurate, his kicks from the sideline often didn't make the distance, which is why he only kicked at 72.23% while at the Storm.

2006-present – Cameron Smith (Hooker) – With his long career not only as a player but also as our primary goal kicker, Cam has had many peaks and troughs along the way. While he is known as an excellent goal kicker when he is on song one game, you certainly know when he is having a shocker with the boot another game and when I mean shocker, I mean he has a complete stinker. It’s sad to say that the shockers come too often now and it is now starting to cost the team. He is currently kicking at 72.24% for his career (that also includes when he was used as a back up early on), and he should be much higher as he usually is a very good strike of the ball, but simply due to his position on the field is regularly exhausted in the legs after making 30-40 tackles a game on a regular basis. That is why forwards typically don’t kick goals (the best forward goal kicker was Craig Fitzgibbon by far), and I think that is why Cam should give it up next year.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Will & T were the ones practicing there for a while, how about trying Will since he gets to play the 80 mins? Having 2 to cover might be good
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:Here’s a list of all our first choice goal kickers for years gone by (stats according to the Rugby League Tables and Stats website):

1998 – Craig Smith (Winger) – He was a very good left footer and was very good at high pressure goals and if he had a longer career he could have boosted his percentage to well above the 73.49% he has. His goal kicking for the ’99 finals pretty much was one of the main factors we won the premiership.

1999 – Matt Geyer (Winger) – When Craig Smith was dropped for Matt Geyer for most of ’99 (except for when he came into the side for the finals), Boofa did the goal kicking and for what I remember, he was very below par (kicking at a woeful even for those days of sandcastles and no scientific kicking tees, 61.36% for that year). Glad Craig Smith was made the primary goal kicker for the finals otherwise I doubt we would have won the premiership. Also the 20 tries Boofa scored for the year along with him kicking goals pretty much helped him win the top NRL point scorer that year.

2000 – Tasesa Lavea (Five-Eighth) – Boofa didn’t return to being chief goal kicker again for his career and in 2000 we had Ces who was not much better than him (kicking at 66.39% that year).

2001-05– Matt Orford (Halfback) – After Ces was relegated to a benchwarmer for most of 2001, Ox took over and became our primary goal kicker for the rest of the five years he was at the club, and although for ’04 & ’05 Cam joined him to kick goals on a number of occasions, Ox was always known as the primary kicker. While he was relatively accurate, his kicks from the sideline often didn't make the distance, which is why he only kicked at 72.23% while at the Storm.

2006-present – Cameron Smith (Hooker) – With his long career not only as a player but also as our primary goal kicker, Cam has had many peaks and troughs along the way. While he is known as an excellent goal kicker when he is on song one game, you certainly know when he is having a shocker with the boot another game and when I mean shocker, I mean he has a complete stinker. It’s sad to say that the shockers come too often now and it is now starting to cost the team. He is currently kicking at 72.24% for his career (that also includes when he was used as a back up early on), and he should be much higher as he usually is a very good strike of the ball, but simply due to his position on the field is regularly exhausted in the legs after making 30-40 tackles a game on a regular basis. That is why forwards typically don’t kick goals (the best forward goal kicker was Craig Fitzgibbon by far), and I think that is why Cam should give it up next year.
I'd rate Corey Parker right up there as forward goal kickers
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:
mattstormy wrote: He is currently kicking at 72.24% for his career
I'd rate Corey Parker right up there as forward goal kickers
Corey Parker has a career percentage of 73.43%. Only slightly better than Smith at 72.24%.

And in the last two years, Parker has averaged a woeful 64.58%, by far the worst two years of his career (Smith last two years 71.59%).

For reference to other kickers (both current and historic);

A Reynolds 86.05% (only 3 years kicking)
M Gordon 83.41%
H El Masri 81.97%
J Croker 80.17%
J Maloney 79.47%
D Halligan 79.31%
J Thurston 78.98%
C Sandow 78.65%
T Carney 78.53%
K Gidley 78.42%
L Burt 77.93%
T Hodkinson 77.54% (only 2 years kicking)
C Fitzgibbon 76.87%
I Cleary 76.70%
M De Vere 76.62%
K Inu 76.47%
S Prince 76.42%
J Taylor 75.24%
P Wallace 74.76%
A Johns 74.25%
S Johnson 74.07% (only 2 years kicking)
J Lyon 73.80%
C Schifcofske 73.59%
C Parker 73.43%