Ben Hampton signs with Cronulla

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

He's gone folks. We can breathe easy.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Personally, I would have thought the Upper Kumbuckta fourths would have been a better option to play with. Sure the kid might want to play regular first grade, but the NRL basket case?????
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't think we would have blocked the doors trying to keep him either. Good luck to him. he'll need it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have wanted Ben to kill it all year but he has been disappointing. Playing in the halves, it takes time to develop a smooth attack but defence needs to be first grade standard which unfortunately Ben has struggled with.

Best of luck to him at Cronulla. I hope he reaches his potential there.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he was unlikely to have been the 5/8 in our next Premiership...so good luck to him...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The writing was on the wall when we signed Green. Cronulla, whilst a complete rabble, is his best shot at a regular first grade spot. More first grade would obviously be a priority for him, so in that regard it makes sense.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Faith restored, good call to not renew his contract, like luke kelly he will rack up afew NRL games but will never be anything more than a bit part player. Green + Roberts to fight it out for the 6 jersey in 2015!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Poor Ben.. He is in for a shock. To go from Storm the most professionally run club to the rabble of cronulla. I would like to wish you good luck because you are certainly going to need it.
Kya
Squall
Squall

I really wanted Ben to succeed as well and I do think he has some good attributes but he just hasn't shown enough and his defence and fifth play options have been poor.

It might just be me but I think Mann should be developed as a 5/8. Munster looks set to be fullback and obviously needs a few years of development and bulk but Mann has been impressive for me considering he is playing out of position. Looked good at Fb while bill was out but looks to be a smart decision maker.

Might be completely wrong but if we can ever stabilise our centre and wing spots, I think he would be a great asset in a playmaking role.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think we want him to be a 5/8 but have needed him elsewhere this year
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:i think we want him to be a 5/8 but have needed him elsewhere this year
Nail on the head there.
Has a real good running game and I think would be great as a support player.
I'm really dissapointed tbh I really thought he'd come good.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

While I really wanted him to be our first choice five-eighth for the long term, I really think all the bagging of Ben Hampton has been uncalled for. Let’s face it, his teammates have not helped him out. Cross field kicks on the last tackle inside the opposition 20m, where are the wingers??? All out of position. Bombs to the opposition fullback, where are the chasers to put the pressure on??? I’m not saying he has been great, but the whole team has been completely lazy and disinterested at times, especially against St. George. So it wasn’t Hampton’s fault, but the rest of the team not helping him out.

Blake Green’s signing surely meant the end for Hampton at the Storm, but good luck to him at Cronulla which is a club I feel so sorry for at the moment as most people seem to find a way to kick them while they are down. Hopefully Hampton can successfully replace Todd Carney and have a long career in the NRL.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've had a few hours to think about it and as much as I love the guy and wanted him to stay I've realised he proberly isn't part of the storm future like I alway thought

Anyway good luck to Ben and is future in black white and blue
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sad to see him go - he has obvious talent, just not at 5/8. I am yet to see this confirmed anywhere though... is there a link somewhere?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently he hasn't signed with them now