Round 13 - Melbourne Storm vs Sydney Rorters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Official Team Line Up named.

1. Cameron Munster

2. Sisa Waqa

3. William Chambers

4. Kurt Mann

5. Young Tonumaipea

6. Tohu Harris

7. Ben Roberts

8. Jesse Bromwich

9. Cameron Smith (c)

10. Bryan Norrie

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan Hoffman

13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Kenny Bromwich

15. Mitch Garbutt

16. Junior Moors

17. George Rose
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

May I suggest considering a kick as a last tackle option this week? Crazy idea, I know...
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

No way that's the team that lines up on Sunday. Firstly, there's too much pressure on C.Smith's kicking game if that's our line up with Roberts and Harris (obviously) being weak kickers.

Either Hampton (more likely) or Walker (my choice) have to be in our halves.

Also, doubt Junior Moors plays either - don't quite see the point in playing him for less than 25 minutes like he did on Saturday as he isn't really an impact player anymore.
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't understand how a coach can think that halves pairing will work after seeing how much they struggled last week.
Rest of the team is good.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I avoided commenting on last weeks game as I was far too frustrated to be coherent. I have calmed now... slightly.

Last tackle options were sorely lacking, that was evident... but more concerning than that was the complete domination the Cowboys forwards had over our own.

The Cowboys were lightning off their line in defence, we sat back on our heels almost the entire game and let them come to us. If we do that all game, no wonder we get spanked by 20+ points. Cameron Smith, the bloke who just played in one of the toughest Origin games ever, who was carrying an injury and completely spent from making 50-ish tackles was the only one to apply pressure in defence and forced errors. Give me a break...

The simple dropped ball was excruciating to watch. Against Souths we had 20 offloads and only made 7 errors. Against the Cowboys we barely offloaded (5) and came up with 12 errors. And a lot of that ball was dropped early in tackle counts. It honestly felt like the entire game was played inside our half.

We only managed 41% possession and even that sounds high for what it felt like. At halftime I thought some possession would swing and we might find some rythym but we didn't. More dropped ball, more poor finishes to sets.

----------

This week, particularly against the defending Premiers, we need;
1. Line speed in defence.
2. Fast play the ball.
3. Offloads.
4. Kicks on last tackle.

I agree, I think we will see an actual half slot in this week.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:I don't understand how a coach can think that halves pairing will work after seeing how much they struggled last week.
Rest of the team is good.
He doesn't.

Bellamy's tuesday afternoon team announcement is literally always just a cut and paste job of the previous team that took the field. The odds of us running out 1-17 are slim to none.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just read a tweet from Cody on the 28th of May saying that he's AT LEAST another week away so he's not even a certainty to return this week.

*EDIT - just seen he's been named for Easts.*
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Einstein said that insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I can only assume that Hampton fell off a ladder or something while he was suspended and hence is unfit to play. Walker may well be persona-non-grata now, and I can only guess that despite tearing it up in Q-cup Glasby has kicked Bellamy's dog.

I try really hard not to criticise our players. I have also worked hard over recent weeks to believe that Bellamy has a long term plan, even if i can't yet see it clearly. But I'm stunned by a couple of those selections - absolutely gobsmacked.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

THAT IT....IM GOING TO STORM TRAINING ON THURSDAY JUST TO FIND OUT...GO BEFORE WORK GRRRR HOW CAN HAMPTON NOT BE IN THE TEAM OR CODY
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Last week we had to play with this team as we had players unavailable. This week we have Hampton, Walker and McLean available and they are not playing. We need to start winning games or we are not playing in September, we are not in the eight at the moment. The side named will not beat the Roosters. I understood last week, but this week I am confused. If it is not the team you are going to use why name it.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Seriously, since when do our 1 to 17 line up the way we list on a Tuesday.
Walker will likely not play because aside from our stars or regulars, we usually give players a week back at nsw or qld cup level when returning from injury.

Hampton is MORE than likely to be in the side with a player dropping off the bench.

Mclean is being eased back, he has been out for nine weeks including byes.
He is playing in Nsw cup just to get fitness and touch. I believe the Storm have a very particular approach with how they ease Jordan into the side that would be apart of a larger plan that exists with the counselling he is undergoing.

As to why our side never lines up as listed, is probably very much why our injury list always lists players out for longer than they are unavailable - unpredictability!

Yes in this day and age with open training sessions, social media and sources in the club releasing information it is hard to hide team and player selections but if 1 in 5 times you can surprise and unsettle your opposition that gives a team even a slight advantage, you use it.

It may upset someone's fantasy side or their betting odds but clubs are looking at winning and if they can get an edge than I dare say people are happier with their team winning than whether player x lined up in a different position.
cayal
Squall
Squall

Well since Cody is going to Souths, he won't play first grade this year.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

When Billy is back I would like to see Billy and Hampton/Cody in the 7 and 6 and put Munster at the back. Would be less work for Billy and he chimes in the back line anyway. Thoughts.

If we win this week we would have played well above what would be expected as the rosters only have one injury and we well say no more.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've just seen a photo of KP Girlfriend who announced she is 9 months pregnant today...I can only imagine KP will want to be there when she has the little one lol hoping it's not on Sunday right
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bushman wrote:When Billy is back I would like to see Billy and Hampton/Cody in the 7 and 6 and put Munster at the back. Would be less work for Billy and he chimes in the back line anyway. Thoughts.
Will never happen.

Bellamy has defended Slater's game a fair bit this season. A few notable quotes on how important Slater is at fullback - "I tell you what, there is no one who plays the No 1 who can organise a defence like Billy Slater.”

And - "Not only are you missing him and that combination with Cooper, you're missing that defensive organisation."