Norrie and Hinchcliffe - Free ride

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:Another interesting stat that doesn't look good is that it is now 2014 and the youngest player the Storm has fielded overall in the club's history is Mahe Fonua (born 24 December 1992 - now 21 years and 4 months old). Come on Bellyache, get some 18-20 year olds in the team sooner than later or the club is going to pay the price over the next five years.
Folau was 17
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote:
mattstormy wrote:Another interesting stat that doesn't look good is that it is now 2014 and the youngest player the Storm has fielded overall in the club's history is Mahe Fonua (born 24 December 1992 - now 21 years and 4 months old). Come on Bellyache, get some 18-20 year olds in the team sooner than later or the club is going to pay the price over the next five years.
Folau was 17
What I mean is the year of birth, surely Bellyache can put some players in the team this year that were born in 1993-94-95-96. Israel Folau's record is different. In his debut game of R1, 2007 he was and still remains the youngest player to play for the Storm and it most likely isn't going to get broken again as I'm pretty sure the NRL has changed the rules for being able to play in first grade to a minimum of 18 years.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'll take a hit for the team and put my hand up to play haha.

Who would you suggest though? Majority of forwards my age would not be ready for the physical demands of first grade and I'm not sure the backs would be in a much better position. Matt Lodge is probably the only person I could think of who could hold a bench spot but there are definitely other players who should be picked ahead of him.

I think the club does the right thing by sending under 20's players to QLD and NSW cup first
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure if we have anyone of Izzy's caliber right now. He had the size to handle the nrl from day 1. We have talent but they aren't quite ready.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Craigs fault is that he is too loyal. But when it's loyalty to the likes of hinchcliffe and Norrie it's not ok, Billy can play to Paul caries level all year and he shouldn't be dropped, he's earnt that much
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also all good things come to an end but I don't think Craig has made the best decisions setting us up for success post smith and co.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well, this year he has had a short sharp lesson...hopefully he can look at things objectively here on in.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Izzy had the skill to handle NRL when he played a trial game against paramatta when he was 16 IIRC, he broke the opposition wingers ribs
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Michael :P wrote: Billy can play to Paul caries level all year and he shouldn't be dropped, he's earnt that much
Paul Carige is actually a really appropriate example here.
A good, middle of the road player; he made one mistake (albeit a howler) in a semi final. End result - his career was destroyed by angry fans and a bitter coach.

Would we have done the same to Kimmorley if we'd lost the '99 Grand Final after his chip through went straight to Blacklock?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Crooner
Squall
Squall

Billys roll has changed. He is now a second 5/8 so while he wont make the breaks he once did his possitional play in defence and attack is still second to none.
Hoffy is running harder then out front row, he needs to stay, he can also play centre when needed.
Norie must be sent to NSW Cup, it is becoming a joke.
Still not sure where the Tahu Harris love ios comming from.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well maybe you need to get his name right first ;)

Tohu in just HIS SECOND SEASON is an absolute workhorse. Can play big minutes when asked. His size, quickness and footwork are really good for such a young player. Unappreciated ball skills which I'd like to see him utilize more. He's just a no nonsense forward who'll never let you down. Has a bit of versatility in him too, as we saw on Anzac day when he move into the centres.