Storm Individual Player Stats - 2014 So Far

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd love to know how quick each player is at playing the ball. Also lol @ not saying you can't have every player break the line. Isn't that an aim for every run ? If Bellamy keeps Norrie and Hinchy in the team just for quick play the balls then he's lost it as a coach.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:I'd love to know how quick each player is at playing the ball. Also lol @ not saying you can't have every player break the line. Isn't that an aim for every run ? If Bellamy keeps Norrie and Hinchy in the team just for quick play the balls then he's lost it as a coach.
Let me rephrase "can't" to "Will not" unless you playing against a under 7 team. Structure requires certain things to happen we play structure like it or not. That is why stats do not tell the story of a players work. One on One tackles yes but average meters no. As for play the ball JB makes great meter and looks dangerous for an offload but he does not get quick play the balls because most of time he is still upright with players hanging of him and the refs do not call held when you are in that position. Quick play the balls come from being able to hit the ground on your chest without the ref calling surrender so on contact with the ground the tackle is complete. Our attack is OK we score enough to win but defence is average no combination that are working well players coming when they should stay out etc. and no urgency. Kick chase poor ( I Love cam but did not see him chase much in the last game and as the captain he needs to a bit) at best only five or so player chasing and only one or two hard good kicks follow by poor chase and we loose big meters and apply no pressure. That's the team stat I would like to see meters lost after a good kick. We have always made mistakes in our own twenty but we have most times got into a better position by good kick great chase followed by strong defence the kicks are their but that's all at the moment. And some want to pick player on stats just a little more complex than that I be worried more about outside backs.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bushman wrote:That is why stats do not tell the story of a players work. One on One tackles yes but average meters no.
Metres gained by props is always an important stat. That is their primary role... They all play in the middle, doing the hard yards. You want a prop that is always putting his arm up for a carry, making good metres and getting a quick PTB away.
bushman wrote:As for play the ball JB makes great meter and looks dangerous for an offload but he does not get quick play the balls because most of time he is still upright with players hanging of him and the refs do not call held when you are in that position. Quick play the balls come from being able to hit the ground on your chest without the ref calling surrender so on contact with the ground the tackle is complete.
:? I must be watching a different game. Jesse, Cam and to a lesser extent Proc are the only starting forwards that regularly get away quick play the balls. Standing in the tackle is always better than being sent backways and landing flat on your back like we see from a number of our forwards.
bushman wrote:Our attack is OK we score enough to win but defence is average no combination that are working well players coming when they should stay out etc. and no urgency.
Our outside backs are making poor decisions but jeez, they aren't being helped by the edge backrowers and halves on either side. Hoffman and Hampton on the left in particular... If they make a poor decision, the centre and winger have no choice but to come in with them and we get exposed on the outside. Cronk is normally a decent defender (for a half) but even he has been making poor decisions on the right and that just heaps the pressure on the outside backs.

Then everyone savages the centres/wingers even when the root cause of the issue might have been 2 players in from them.

Jamming up and in is only effective if the outside players do it the moment the edge backrower/half do it. Waqa was exceptional at this not too long ago but seems to be very wary now. The indecisiveness gives the attacking team more time.
bushman wrote:Kick chase poor ( I Love cam but did not see him chase much in the last game and as the captain he needs to a bit) at best only five or so player chasing and only one or two hard good kicks follow by poor chase and we loose big meters and apply no pressure. That's the team stat I would like to see meters lost after a good kick. We have always made mistakes in our own twenty but we have most times got into a better position by good kick great chase followed by strong defence the kicks are their but that's all at the moment.
Agree completely here. We were under the pump against the Warriors, Cam/Cronk put in great field position kicks only to be let down by poor kick chase and/or poor first contact. Is the loss of Corvo showing on the fitness of our players?
bushman wrote:And some want to pick player on stats just a little more complex than that I be worried more about outside backs.
People had serious issues with Norrie/Hinchcliffe long before the stats were put up. They just confirmed what most people were already feeling.
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The reason peolple bag Norrie/Hinchcliffe so much is they offer very little in attack. When we were playing well and winning people didn't care, now we are losing people are pointing their finger. Both are good tacklers and Hinchcliffe averages 2nd most tackles in the team. Also Norrie is the quickest player of the ball in the team, that's why when he gets tackled he hits the floor so quick so the next player gets a easier run. Plus both players make very few mistakes.
Bushman is right it's our outside backs that are our biggest problem especially the sieve.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Every game where we have had more than 50% of possession we have won, conversely, every game where we have had 50% or less possession, we have lost.

Before Origin (and with Coops running the show) we averaged 3 goal line drop outs earned per game. Since Origin 1, we have averaged 1 goal line drop out earned per game.

Before Origin, we were averaging 23.4 tackle breaks per game. Since Origin 1, we are averaging 14.6.

Before Origin, we were averaging 3.3 try assists per game. Since Origin 1, we are averaging 0.6.

Before Origin, we were averaging 21.6 points scored per game. Since Origin 1, we are averaging 12.

Before Origin we were averaging 30.5 complete sets per game. Since Origin 1, we are averaging 26.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone have a breakdown of offloads per game? I'd love to see the correlation between wins when our offloads are higher and our forwards are allowed to play a bit more because I'm confident we win more when we offload more this year
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:Does anyone have a breakdown of offloads per game? I'd love to see the correlation between wins when our offloads are higher and our forwards are allowed to play a bit more because I'm confident we win more when we offload more this year
I agree, it definitely feels that way (when we offload more, we win). The stats don't show a clear correlation to this though.

The two games pre Origin (Rounds 9 & 10) were the two games where we offloaded the most (19 & 20 Offloads respectively). Those were arguably our two best performances of the season as well.

However in Round 5 against the Titans, we had a respectable 14 offloads yet lost. In Round 8 against the Warriors we had 17 offloads and lost.

For those wondering, there is no clear correlation between more offloads resulting in increased errors either. We have slightly more errors in games where we have not offloaded very much compared to games where we have offloaded reasonable well.

Overall, in the games we have won, we have averaged an extra 1.5 offloads per game. Hardly completely convincing... I still enjoy seeing it however and whilst there may not be an easy line to draw from Offloads to Wins, it most definitely gets us onto the front foot and winning the ruck, which we have struggled to do this year.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for that - more enjoyable to watch as well as not impacting errors too heavily, plus slightly advantageous to performances... I'd still like to see it stay then!! :lol:
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Dayne Weston shouldn't be anywhere the team. Those stats are misleading. He made those meters from line drop out returns. He hasn't bent the line once. Hinchcliffe & proctor do enough in defense, kick chase, kick pressure to put up with low meters gained.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In Big League they have a story about our tries from kicks with the following stats:
- Storm have scored most tries from kicks in 2014 with 19 tries.
- We have scored 11 of these tries from high kicks. 4 of these have been scored by Sisa Waqa.
- The other eight tries have come from grubbers.
- 47% of our attacking kicks occur in the last 20 minutes of each half. However, during this time the Storm score 60% of our tries from attacking kicks.
- We have scored 9 tries from kicks on our right side, 6 on our left side and 4 in the middle.
- The conversion of kicks to tries of Ben Roberts is considerably better than Cooper Cronk. (Obviously he has a lot less kicks). We have tries from five of Roberts' 19 attacking kicks (26%) and tries from 8 of Cronk's 69 kicks (12%). Unfortunately they don't tell us what Hampton's kicking is like or who has provided the other six kicks for our tries.

And funnily enough they describe Sisa as "in-form".
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought I would provide some more stats for the year based on info In Big League.

Leading try scorers
Sisa Waqa 10
Billy Slater 8
Will Chambers 7
Kurt Mann 6

Most Line Breaks
Sisa Waqa 10
Billy Slater 8
Will Chambers 7

Avge Metres per Game
Jesse Bromwich 161
Cameron Munster 157 (only one game)
Billy Slater 143

Our completion rate of 76% is the best in the league.

Jesse Bromwich is 4th in the league for offloads with 28.

Young Tonumaipea is equal 5th for dummy half runs with 55.

Cooper Cronk is equal 3rd for most try assists with 13.

Billy Slater is third for last line defence tackles with 22.

Jesse Bromwich is fourth for total running metres of 2,417.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sisa is being described as in-form because he has 10 tries and that's all they look at. his first 3 or 4 games were very good, but, he has dropped right off and needs his surgery now imo
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet that is exactly what I was thinking.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storm77 wrote:
No probs. Average Metres Per Run is easy enough.

Dayne Weston - 10.67m (from 6 Total Runs)
Jordan McLean - 9.96m (from 27 Total Runs)
Jesse Bromwich - 9.26m (from 110 Total Runs)
Mitch Garbutt - 8.56m (from 25 Total Runs)
George Rose - 8.63m (from 24 Total Runs)
Tohu Harris - 8.37m (from 63 Total Runs)
Kenny Bromwich - 8.32m (from 47 Total Runs)
Kevin Proctor - 8.13m (from 46 Total Runs)
Ryan Hoffman - 7.68m (from 95 Total Runs)
Bryan Norrie - 7.57m (from 46 Total Runs)
Tim Glasby - 7.50m (from 4 Total Runs)
Cameron Smith - 7.14m (from 36 Total Runs)
Ryan Hinchcliffe - 6.54m (from 46 Total Runs)

Based on those stats then JB and JM should be our starting PF with Weston, Garbutt and Rose of the bench and perhaps KB of the bench with TH in to the starting line up and both Norrie and Hinchcliffe out.
Rugby League is not always about going forward with the ball, if Hinchy is dropped who is going to cover his 30+ tackles per game??
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seriously ?