Rd.8 ANZAC DAY - Melbourne Storm vs NZ Warriors

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The line up has been announced. The biggest change is Roberts OUT, Hampton In. Just as expected.

Team List
1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Justin O’Neill
5. Young Tonumaipea

6. Ben Hampton
7. Cooper Cronk

8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Interchange
14. Kenny Bromwich
15. Tohu Harris
16. Mitch Garbutt
17. George Rose
18. Dayne Weston
19. Tim Glasby
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very predictable. Although I saw on twitter Hampton was named for the Sharks nsw cup team too. No idea whats going on. I am a big Hampton fan but Walker needs a shot. Doing to well in the Q cup for him to not be used.

Be nice to see some more change after losing 3 of 4.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah on the team announcement page storm emailed me it has the QLD and NSW cup. NSW cup has Hampton named to play but I am assuming it was an oversight by who ever put together the page.

Oh and this from facebook

brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:Be nice to see some more change after losing 3 of 4.
Exactly.

8. J Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Weston / Garbutt
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman (His form has been up and down but I dont feel he would offer anything off the bench and he is still in the top 17)
13. K Bromwich / Harris

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Harris / K Bromwich
16. Garbutt / Weston
17. Rose

Still not sure why Moors is on the outer. I think he would probably offer more than Hinchcliffe, especially in attack, but that won't happen
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd like to see Moors and Kaufusi in the pack somewhere. In the two games Weston has played for us he's literally offered nothing. Norrie is the one who week in week out is extremely lucky to be named. He has yet to run more than 100m so far this season. Has one tackle break in 7 games. He's a passenger.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blazza18 you are a bit harsh on Weston. He only got 15 mins on Sunday and I think Raiders had a lot of the ball during that time.

He was quite good against Titans (apart from the crusher) he only had 4 runs but gained 51 metres. So almost 13 metres per run. Again he only got 26 minutes.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As a comparison to Norrie in Titans game. Weston gained more metres than Norrie in half the runs. Norrie 43 mins 8 runs for 42 metres.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One of my favourite games of the year!

No controversy please... Please?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wouldn't be the first time there was controversy on Anzac Day. Remember when Quinny tackled Micheal Luck and the ball travelled about 10 metres forward and the Warriors claimed a try. The try was awarded because apparently Quinny stripped it.
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I would go with

1 slater
2 waqa
3 fonua
4 o Neil
5 young t
6 walker
7 cronk
8 Bromwich
9 smith
10 Weston
11 proctor
12 hoffman
13 Harris

14 hinchy
15 moors
16 rose
17 glasby/garbutt
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why has Melbourne Storm started a twitter pole to see who the fans want to play in the 6 jersey, Hampton/Walker? This seems really odd to me. Does the player with the most fan votes win, even through Hampton has been named?
Last edited by glennb on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought it was weird too. Watched the Bellamy video discussing this weeks side and I'm a bit confused with what Bellamy said about the 5/8th battler. Basically it came down to Hampton having played 5 games earlier in the season and Bellamy wanting Walker to keep playing consistently for 3/4 weeks. Walker has been the form half of the Q cup for well over a year, what more does Bellamy want from him ?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Thought it was weird too. Watched the Bellamy video discussing this weeks side and I'm a bit confused with what Bellamy said about the 5/8th battler. Basically it came down to Hampton having played 5 games earlier in the season and Bellamy wanting Walker to keep playing consistently for 3/4 weeks. Walker has been the form half of the Q cup for well over a year, what more does Bellamy want from him ?
4 Tries AND 4 Try Assists last week wasn't it?
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

glennb wrote:Why has Melbourne Storm started a twitter pole to see who the fans want to play in the 6 jersey, Hampton/Walker? This seems really odd to me. Does the player with the most fan votes win, even through Hampton has been named?
Seems to flag that ' people NOT in the football department' are white anting the people who are ::)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On another note...

Now you may call me cheap or just fussy but I have an issue with the way Storm have made their GA members pay a fee to allocate a seat. Is anyone else with me on this?

Now memberships arent cheap and we expect that GA should be available for every game unless we were given a heads up before parting with our money. Why cant the club just give GA members a reserved ticket without stinging us again with a fee.

However, If (and I havent looked into this) they were passing the money on to a charity instead of their own pockets I would be a bit more understanding.