Round 7 - Storm vs Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hope we have a controversy free game and thrash the raiders.

but the nrl want to make it harder for us to concentrate on the game with Storm being investigated for the Ryan Hoffman concussion test.

We have to play Sunday then have to front up on Friday against warriors who play Sat this week. We seem to be getting the raw end of the deal a lot this season.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sallymay I see on your Twitter that Hampton may come in and Roberts move to centre. How much substance is there to that possibility?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not much substance I gather given that Craig said that Mahe is likely replacement. Mahe was who I expected.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just saw it on the lurkers twitter (it's the poor man version of the mole) I doubted it the minute I saw it...Im positive Mahe will come back
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So not LIVE on Nine on ANZAC Day. What a lost opportunity.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

What a joke..a real ANZAC Day game between Aussie team and NZ team and NOT being telecast so lets watch 2 Sydney team battle it out woo f.....ghoo. can you imagine afl letting a game like this slide under the radar. NRL is a bunch of losers.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Eh... No way would channel 9 air two out of town teams over Sydney or Brisbane teams. Lets be logical here.
Kya
Squall
Squall

While you are right Blazza in regards to non sydney teams or brisbane, I think it highlights the inherent problem with the nrl as a whole.

They will never ever be a legitimate threat to afl because they have no idea of how to run the organisation on a national level. The afl will happily structure their draw to ensure the best performing sides are on television regardless of where they are from and they will get strong ratings because afl supporters will watch a good game not just a particular team or only a victorian team.

The best thing thing that could happen in league is for channel nine to lose the rights next time round and for the nrl to demand a larger say in how they structure the draw instead of being at the mercy of channel nine.

The fact that channel nine took 15 years to broadcast a live game into melbourne despite having a team based here speaks volumes of the ineptitude of that station and the ground lost in trying to grow the game, let alone in places like Perth, Adelaide and Tasmania.

The fact the nrl continues to neglect the development and promotion of the code outside sydney or queensland makes you question why they bother with National in nrl.

Ironically a large contributing factor to lower crowds and ratings is that they have treated the fan base so poorly, that it is easier to stream the game on the net than watch an ad filled replay filled with cross promotion, self indulgence and littered with ads.

Trust me when I say that the Afl is not concerned with league.
Soccer yes but league is so far behind in its outlook and development and honestly I am not sure if they will ever really develop or grow the game beyond the NSW and Queensland markets.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You might be right on some of your points. But please, the afl show the same teams week in week out on fta no matter if they're good teams or not. It's all about ratings for either code. And it's the same with every sport around the world. The bigger the fanbase the more tv exposure they get.
JimmyThunder
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Harris to move to center With Mahe to wing that's the late mail
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brilliant post Kya. Sums up my disappointment in the amateur management of the NSWRL... Ah... I mean... NRL.

The parasitic relationship nine has with RL is ensuring the game has it's feet chained to the floor. Such a great game should not be such an embarrassment.

Bellamy conducts his occasional fact finding missions to the US, looking to always develop as a professional coach and learn from those at the forefront of sports. I think the NRL headquarters have been sending reps to take notes from the Iraqi C Grade soccer league.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

JimmyThunder wrote:Harris to move to center With Mahe to wing that's the late mail
I don't understand this, we have lost Chambers who is a centre. Mahe was solid at centre the first few rounds. Why wouldn't you just replace Chambers with Fonua. Instead you have Harris playing out of position and either Sisa or Young missing out.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Blazza your right, but I suppose what I mean to communicate is that for example: channel nine is so caught up in showing Brisbane every Friday night regardless of form and seem to neglect the fact that they actually broadcast to the whole of Queensland and that there are two other clubs who people might actually like to watch. Never giving any other club the opportunity for exposure or the viewers the option of more choice in that market alone.

For example in the afl, west coast and sydney had a great rivalry for a number of years and channel seven weren't afraid to show that game ahead of an all victorian game nationally regardless of state.

Interstate sides are still given top billing if they are likely to be playing well (obviously guesswork is also involved in the draw like the nrl but they seem to do a better job of scheduling games ensuring that there are more interesting games that will be available on fta than channel nine who just cover their ass with the obligatory broncos and eels games.)
Yes, there are a number of clubs that dominate the big games on fta but they like the storm have been regular contributors to the afl final series, I.e hawks,cats, swans, magpies (biggest fanbase in country so understandable and the club most fans want to see fail) essendon and carlton but as a whole the set up is better because they show more games on free to air than nrl anyway.

Obviously bigger fanbases dictate games but the nrl actually schedule two Friday night games but regardless of in form sides over a number of years, always revert to two or three choices.
Its knock on effect is lower ratings when those sides don't perform and haven't performed for a few years.

I guess my main point is that the nrl needs to have enough of a backbone to ensure a fairer draw and opportunity for exposure for all clubs.
The draw will never be fair, even or equal but it can be done better because essentially a fan base of two clubs has a ceiling and your large tv ratings come from capitalising on the interests of the rugby league fan or casual observers.

Love us or loathe us, we along with Manly have provided some outstanding football over the last eight years and because of our shared success, you would assume that an intelligent operator would capitalise on ensuring that more of our games would be on fta more often as all fans like to see the successful clubs either get beaten or view how good they are.

but no that doesn't happen and I just look at channel nine and think it's not surprising they run at such a loss and are always on the verge of takeover.

Sport is such a dominant force in the market and they continue to treat it with contempt and so do the nrl. As those ratings fall, so do advertising dollars and it just astounds me that so little is ever done to be proactive and innovative in promoting the game nationally.

But really it doesn't matter because we know we are stuck with this crap for four more years and knowing the nrl, most likely longer.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

JimmyThunder wrote:Harris to move to center With Mahe to wing that's the late mail
Hard to see this happening as it's a major reshuffle and Bellamy generally doesn't like to do that. Also, Young just scored the winning try and had a great game and Sisa is our leading tryscorer going into this round and it will be his 50th Storm game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I actually did think of Harris to centre and another forward coming on to the bench. But looks like Mahe will come in anyway.