A Transitional Phase Now?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Crooner
Squall
Squall

Norie must go, he has the hand brake on in every carry.
Funoa defence is terrible at best.
Hoffy would probably be lock in most teams now.
Tahu, I havent see anything from him really since his debut, not sure where all the Tahu love come from.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The media have pointed out that this is our worst start to a season since 2009 (although that worked out alright for everyone now didn't it). Sterlo penned an article earlier this week labelling the Storm "not the team of previous years", essentially proclaiming an end to our successful run.

In the 2009 season, by round 7 we had recorded 3 wins, 3 losses and a draw. (+/- of -7)
In the 2014 season, by round 5 we have recorded 3 wins, 2 losses. (+/- of -20)

One of those 2014 losses was an embarrassing effort without our best player and captain. The other was a highway robbery.

In 2009 we went on to win 11 of the remaining 17 games and then go undefeated through the finals series.

Granted we are not playing our best footy. I would say we are not even playing "good" footy. But jeez it's a bit early to put a red line through a dynasty that has proven year after year come finals time that they are thereabouts and a team with two future immortals.

The focus needs to be on fixing our paper thin defence (and by all accounts that has been a priority this week) and working out the best way to handle the new ruck interpretation. Get defence right, make it a priority for the year, and I believe the results will take care of themselves. Assuming we can get a fair go by the ladies in pink.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Blobfish is only hoping it is the end of our super era.(him and everyone from Sydney)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Blobfish ? Really ? Much respect to one of the games best players turned expert commentator.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Its not 2009, the players still here aren't as good as they were, and those that weren't here then aren't better then the players in that 09 side apart from Chambers and Bromwich.

Time is undefeated and I just hope we make the right decisions re recruitment and have the right people developing out young players.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

We were cheating in 2009.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My point wasn't "this is 2009 all over again", it was just that a sh*t start to a season does not make a season. I thought that was pretty obvious.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Under the radar.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

More like the radar has detected us but determined we aren't a threat.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's what the radar wants you to believe hahaha.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Let's not forget that if that penalty wasn't given against us last week and we used our golden point expertise (tongue in cheek) to get the win over the Titans, we'd be sitting atop the table.

In my humble opinion, the chances of opening the season with an extended winning run is getting slimmer by the season, so we should expect to lose the odd game.

There are a couple of high profile clubs that should be more worried than we are at the moment.

26 rounds determines where we sit on the ladder, not 5 or 6 and when a 2 point result means the difference between 1st & 9th, it won't take much to regain ladder position.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... 6881840779

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy issues players Storm warning to perform on Monday

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy has warned his players that changes will be made unless they return to their winning best against St George-Illawarra on Monday night.

Bellamy has made very few changes to his side in the first five weeks of the season.

But he made it clear Monday night’s clash against the Dragons at AAMI Park will be the last chance for a number of his underperforming players

“Certainly some urgency in some of the situations in defence needs a hard look at,” he said.

“And some of these players need to put some hard effort into those areas.

“If we get that I’m sure we’ll be OK.

“If we don’t get that, we might need to get back to what you suggested (making changes).”

It has been the club’s worst start to a season since 2009.

That was the last time Storm dropped two games inside the first five rounds.

Although that year the club went on to win the premiership.

Bellamy is remaining positive after a week in which the critics have emerged.

“After the weekend there was obviously a lot of doom and gloom around outside the club,” he said.

“But the competition leaders (Gold Coast) beat us by two points with a penalty in the 79th minute.

“It’s probably not all that bad, to be brutally honest.”

Big man George Rose has faced a setback in his bid to fight back into the first-grade side after feeder club Easts Tigers had its Queensland Cup game postponed.

Rose was set to play in Cairns on Sunday, but the game was called off due to the threat of Cyclone Ita.

The prop has battled homesickness this season but will see out the season after a positive meeting with club officials this week.

Rose is understood to enjoy living in Melbourne and being at the club.

But being away from his close-knit family in Sydney has been a difficult adjustment for him.

‘’It was probably a bit overblown to be honest (the report that he had asked for a release),’’ Bellamy said.

‘’It wasn’t a big issue but it’s done now and George can settle down and work really hard with our feeder teams on getting back into first grade.

“His first game against Manly was great but his next two weren’t up to the George Rose quality and that is what we need to get back to.’’

----------

To be honest, it looks like Bellamy has already started axe swinging. Hampton, Rose, Fonua and possibly Young.

Fonua can probably feel a little hard done by. Although I'm sure Bellamy always planned to use O'Neill at left centre for some crazy reason.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We lose against St Merge tonight, the only players he can drop are the ones that some would call Craig Bellamy guys.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope the axe swings and I dont mean to punish any players, I only say it because losing comes with supporting any team but when we lose or put in sub-par performances week after week its unacceptable. I would love for some of the younger guys with huge wraps to get a gig. If we are going to lose or struggle we may aswell learn something in the process. See how the new guys go in adversity instead of learning how they go when they are playing for another team.

I want to see Hunt, Walker, Fus' and Munster asap!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

robinson and kennar should get a go too