A Transitional Phase Now?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The rate the squad is shaping up for the next few years, it is really looking like a transitional period in 2014-15-16. Our squad is simply not up to scratch with other teams any more and the club has paid the price for not recruiting properly and keeping old baggage. Also along with this is the stuctured game plan we play every week is becoming old and predictable. Every week (apart from a suspension or injury occassionally) even after disappointing losses we roll out a very similar team and no one is threatening to take players spots. A few players surely have to be let go over the next couple of years and we need to bring in some young middle of the road players from other clubs that would thrive under Bellyache. Here's some players that need to be let go over the next couple of years:

Bryan Norrie: Why in the world he signed on for a couple of seasons more is strange. He is well and truly past it, can't make any metres anymore, is struggling to match it with the bigger props and gets smashed in tackles. Surely he must be looked at being released one year early at the end of the year.

Ryan Hoffman: He was great up until 2012, then last year he wasn't the same. This year he seems invisible. Another case of player loyalty gone too far and although he's been one of my favourites over the years, it is seriously almost time to move on.

Billy Slater: I know I'll be criticised for this, but an off season is a long time in football and Billy almost looks like he getting to the point of calling it a day soon. His contract expires at the end of 2015 and that is when I think the time is right to retire. He's been very quiet this year and his body looks like it's held up with masking tape due to getting smashed in tackles for the past 12 seasons. Maybe this year being his last for rep footy might be worth while as well.

Kevin Proctor: Not playing badly, but he's off contract at the end of 2014 and needs to be let go for a more high profile back rower.

Mahe Fonua: Off contract and not getting consistent appearances in first grade. Need to do a trade with another team.

Matt Duffie: What more can I say than his time is certainly finished at the Storm, and it's a damn shame too.

A team needs to be constantly re-built over a number of years and there really haven't been any significant changes for a while to this squad. Here is how I think we should line up for 2015:

1. Billy Slater (in what I think is going to be his final season)
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. New Player
5. Justin O'Neill
6. Ben Hampton
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Jordan McLean
11. New Player
12. New Player
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Kenny Bromwich
15. Tohu Harris
16. Felise Kafusi
17. Mitch Garbutt
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely a good topic to discuss :D
Agree with most of what you've written. I'd prefer to keep Proctor if he wants to stay. We don't have cap room for a "high profile backrower".

Our structured game plan built around 3 aging players is a problem.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree with billy...he isn't the same since he hurt his knee...not sure what they can do about it but it's getting to the point I gasp and hold my breath every time he gets the ball
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with all the players you have identified with the exception of Fonua. I'd love to see him be given a crack at left centre this year.

I've wanted Hinchcliffe off the bench since he made his way into the starting lock role. I'd also like to see Tohu be given that left edge backrower role. He has played the link man there a couple of times and done very well. He has also run riot out there a bit wider a few times.

Proctor is a good mid-level backrower to play here IF he wants to stay for a reasonable contract. We should be very careful not to pay overs for him. For the great work Proctor does in the set plays, he offers little when we are struggling to win the forward battle or coming out of our own end.

1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. ?? (Fonua?)
5. Justin O'Neill
6. Ben Hampton / ?? (Hampton's defence needs to lift big time)
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Jordan McLean
11. ?? (Proctor?)
12. Tohu Harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Mitch Garbutt
16. Matt Lodge
17. ??
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. ?? (Fonua?)
5. Justin O'Neill
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Jordan McLean
11. ?? (Proctor?)
12. Tohu Harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Mitch Garbutt
16. Matt Lodge
17. ??
I think your right on the money with this team. I think we try to go out and find a solid defensive centre to put between Young/O'Neill on the wing and Hampton at 5/8th. We've looked best on the edge when we had Nielsen there. I'd prefer a litter stronger runner than Dane, but he was always solid on that side for us. Love Kenny B at lock, really is something I'd love to see. And I think Kaufusi has a bright future for us at either the vacant back row spot or on the bench. He runs and hits hard and could be that impact player we want in the forward pack. Also wonder with the way the game is changing now with the faster play the balls if having a smaller guy come off the bench for the final 10-15 mins of each half. Kind of like what Cronk did before he was a regular halfback.
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I think Slater will be our 5/8th next year and Hampton to full back. We don't have any money in the cap to sign any top quality players. I think we should just keep developing young players and try to hold onto them. Get them a Victorian gf and it will make the decision easier.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm4Life wrote:I think Slater will be our 5/8th
Been said numerous times from Slater and Bellamy that this will never happen. Too late in his career to make the shift.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like Fonua, definitely should keep him but only as a centre.
Duffy, well I'm starting to think he should be kept but only if he can put on a few kilos. His aerial skills are Israel like.
I'll let Bellamy work it out but would be refreshing to see a decent second rower recruited.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote:
1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. ?? (Fonua?)
5. Justin O'Neill
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Jordan McLean
11. ?? (Proctor?)
12. Tohu Harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Mitch Garbutt
16. Matt Lodge
17. ??
That starting side is pretty much spot on with what I would have too. I think one player that probably should be added to the opening post is Hinchcliffe. I think that like Hoffman, all he really offers over Proctor, Bromwich and Harris is experience. From a playing perspective I would much rather keep Proctor and lose the two Ryans. On that bench I would replace Hinchcliffe with Glasby and as some one mentioned probably put Kaufusi there as well.

As a side note I was 8 years old when Billy debuted, and he was easily my favourite player then. It is going to feel very weird when he hangs up the boots but again from a playing perspective it will be detrimental to the team if we keep him beyond his current contract.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

We have pretty much thrown all our eggs into one basket by having to re-sign the big three. It was a great way to win a premiership when they were in their prime, but it also means we have no cap space when they are in the twilight of their careers.
Cam is still absolute gun, but Billy has dropped off a lot and Coops is still a gun too, but this year has had a tendendany to play well one week and poorly the next.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

tugga wrote:Coops is still a gun too, but this year has had a tendendany to play well one week and poorly the next.
I sorry, but don't follow your logic here. Coops missed round 1, collected 3 Dally M votes in both rounds 2 & 3, and I read he copped 2 votes against the Titans. Excuse me if this info is incorrect, but it doesn't show inconsistency. Yes, he didn't have a good game against the Dogs, but he had a lot of mates that day.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Turtle188 wrote:
tugga wrote:Coops is still a gun too, but this year has had a tendendany to play well one week and poorly the next.
I sorry, but don't follow your logic here. Coops missed round 1, collected 3 Dally M votes in both rounds 2 & 3, and I read he copped 2 votes against the Titans. Excuse me if this info is incorrect, but it doesn't show inconsistency. Yes, he didn't have a good game against the Dogs, but he had a lot of mates that day.
You could well be right on that. I don't think he played well on Sunday. So two poor games in four would be inconsistent.
The bottom line is we have been paying 75% (ballpark figure) of the cap on three blokes, which is fine when they are 26, but will start to create problems when they are 30+.
Not saying re-signing them wasn't the right thing to do. I absolutely believe we need them and the club has to have these three blokes are Storm for life players.
But in answer to the OP, I do think we will be a team in transition for a few years.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

What about Hampton to fullback, Walker to 5/8 and Slater into the centres?
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

tugga wrote:
Turtle188 wrote:
You could well be right on that. I don't think he played well on Sunday. So two poor games in four would be inconsistent.
The bottom line is we have been paying 75% (ballpark figure) of the cap on three blokes, which is fine when they are 26, but will start to create problems when they are 30+.
Not saying re-signing them wasn't the right thing to do. I absolutely believe we need them and the club has to have these three blokes are Storm for life players.
But in answer to the OP, I do think we will be a team in transition for a few years.

If we payed the top 3 anywhere near 75% of the cap we couldn't fit the other 22 players in the cap on minimum wage. I'd say they are paid around 40% which would be around $850,000 each. Anymore and the Storm are idiots.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I really like the look of Tim Gladsby in the short time he has in FG. Played well late last year (againstt a poor eels team) and was also strong against the dogs in a pretty poor team performance. Think he will take over the role of Hoffman.
I think Hoffman would be now better at lock as he seems to do most of his work up the middle anyway and has lost the a yard of pace and the devasting off-load he used to have.
Everyside goes through these periods, as Storm supporters we have been spoiled for the last 6 or 7 years. 10 years ago the Broncos were the team to beat and then have dropped away, maybe there back on the way up now so its just the great cycle of sports.
The real test will be for many of us fans to stick around in the not so good times.
you'll still see me at aami park (or whatever it will be called in 3 or 4 years time)