Round 4 - Storm Vs Bulldogs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NIB Stadium (Perth), 7:30pm, (4:30pm Local)

1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. Mahe Fonua
5. Young Tonumaipea
6. Ben Hampton
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Kenny Bromwich
15. Tohu Harris
16. Jordan McLean
17. George Rose
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Garbutt in for McLean. I would like to see the club challenge the NRL though on the forced stand down of McLean. That is utterly ridiculous.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree it is ridiculous. But maybe the NRL finally being smart and waiting to talk to Alex before doing anything. I know it is not likely but I like to live in hope.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If McLean feels he needs to take the week of to get his head right then I'm all for it. I don't see/hear too many people wondering what he's been going through today. I just don't believe the NRL should be able to stand him down without charging him. He's not guilty of anything yet and I don't think he should be anyway.

And yes, Garbutt straight swap.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with everything you said blazza18 and more. But I did not want to post it as I thought people might think I was not worried about Mckinnon.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I do not think Storm will do anything at this stage because they do not want to appear bad and uncaring. They do not think they will appeal and have Jordan play this week. The NRL is the only court in the land where you are guilty and get sentenced before you are even charged. Wonder if it was a Rooster/Rabbits play what would happen?
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think Jordan would be happy to have the week off. He must be going through all sorts of feelings and I think footy would be the last thing on his mind.Good luck Jordan.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldn't be surprised if the club give him the week to deal anyway. Huge thoughts to McKinnon and his family - horrible to see

According to what I read last night though he has been charged, but referred straight to the judiciary... that's my issue. It certainly isn't a bad enough tackle to be referred.

Has Garbutt been back for Easts Tigers yet? Didn't he injure himself in an early round?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he played on the weekend
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Garbutt was named for Easts this week so I'd imagine he is ok.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:he has been charged, but referred straight to the judiciary... that's my issue. It certainly isn't a bad enough tackle to be referred.
Exactly. This is not a Danny Williams king-hit. This isn't a Hopoate flying forearm. This is a relatively conventional tackle with a very unfortunate outcome.

He has been referred without grading because they are awaiting details of the injury outcome, which will play a role in the grading given. Disgusting.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope that they take into account that McKinnon contributed, I can live with him getting a week or two for lifting, but not a huge penalty for something that would have been a conventional tackle had McKinnon not done what he did.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:I can live with him getting a week or two for lifting, but not a huge penalty for something that would have been a conventional tackle had McKinnon not done what he did.
See, it may not be socially acceptable given McKinnon's injury, but I take issue even with that. It would be a suspension purely because a player received a horrific injury.

I understand given the circumstances people do not want to lay any blame on the injured bloke but it shouldn't prompt people to look for someone else to blame. It is often human nature though... a horrific freak accident occurs and people NEED someone to blame.

If we penalise every tackle that was performed in the manner of McLean, ie shoulder around the waist and trying to get the runner off their feet, we will see a dramatic increase in the number of penalties a game. Hell, there was probably 10 or so tackles in the same Storm/Knights game that would have been subject to a penalty in that case. There were definitely a few that looked worse from a tacklers perspective.

How many times a game do you think you see a tackler come up holding/raising a leg? 30? 40?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
How many times a game do you think you see a tackler come up holding/raising a leg? 30? 40?
This is where the refs can stop it, just call held. They let it drag on and on, sometimes for 4 or 5 seconds whilst the bloke is obviously not moving and that makes the tacklers feel that they need to get him on the ground in order for the game to progress. Call held! It is not a problem if blokes occasionally play the ball from on their feet instead of having to lever themselves up with three men hanging off them surely!

If I was the Newcastle Knights, Alex McKinnon, the Melbourne Storm, Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich or Jordan McLean I would be asking the question, why was this one not called held sooner?

The refs who let that go on should be suspended until that gets investigated! Undoubtedly in my mind they have been major contributors to this whole mess and need to be held accountable.

Players play to the refs calls and to the whistle, if you let it go on, things will happen! I thought they were finally wising up with the rule they brought in about the third man cannoning into a stationary player below the knees, it appears not.

Gerrard Sutton and Gavin Morris, you played your part in this too!!!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forget last week and the McLean thing. It will be dealt with. This week is all about beating the Bullfilth and their scum fans and Smith besting Ennis the pot plant!