Round 2 - Storm vs Penrith

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Fonua's best game in Storm colours, Waqa was good too. Norrie's best game for some time. Jesse was b.o.g by a country mile
Except for the stupid penalties and dropped ball you mean... :wink:
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

supercronk wrote:Why don't our wingers stay on the wing??

Also without Widdopp in the team we don't have a decent goalkicker
We didn't use Widdop when we had him in the team !! so we are hardly going to miss him. Always intruiged me why we didn't use him on a more regular basis, in fact as our main kicker, because he is a heaps better kicker than Cam ( hate to say it ). and now may come back and bite us in the arse, because if Jamie Soward had been playing last night we would have lost, no doubt about it, and when we play the Dragons, Gareth Widdop won't miss too many either!! Cam needs to re think his possie as goal kicker and maybe recruit somebody else.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I said it was Norrie's best for some time, not saying he was off the charts brilliant, he just played much better than he has been.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

^^ You make some good points RM. Only 2 rounds into the new year but you have to wonder why we didn't use Widdop more and even last night Hampton hardly had any touches because Cronk was getting the ball 99% of the time. Would like to see that change more.

Cam's goal kicking has been a problem before and has cost us games before. I have no idea who could take over but it needs to be looked at.

On the if Soward plays we would have lost thing. Wallace statistically is a better kicker than Soward. It's not by much but it's true.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm trying to find a second goal kicker and getting nothing. Of the 17 last night:

Slater, Waqa, Chambers, Tonumaipeia, Hampton, J.Bromwich, Norrie, Proctor, Hinchcliffe, K.Bromwich, McLean and Rose have never to my knowledge kicked at goals at any level.

Cronk is 1 for 6 at NRL and Hoffman is 0 for 2.

Harris is 0 for 1 at NYC level and Fonua is 1 for 2.

Chambers I have seen do some kicking off and some practice kicks and he seems reasonable but not world beating.

Waqa did well with the drop kick conversions at the nines but I don't know how he would go with the place kicking.

I have never seen Hampton do a place kick but, he may be able to learn.

Fonua would seem the other option maybe.

Either that, or we bring in Walker.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The kickoff from Smith was great and I thought Bromwich was our best.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:^^ You make some good points RM. Only 2 rounds into the new year but you have to wonder why we didn't use Widdop more and even last night Hampton hardly had any touches because Cronk was getting the ball 99% of the time. Would like to see that change more.

Cam's goal kicking has been a problem before and has cost us games before. I have no idea who could take over but it needs to be looked at.

On the if Soward plays we would have lost thing. Wallace statistically is a better kicker than Soward. It's not by much but it's true.
Apart from Scott hill when he was young and Brett Finch, who was a veteran, Cronk has always Been overly dominant with the ball.

Too much so in my opinion but you can't argue with the results.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's lost a touch of speed as he's gotten older. As silly as it sounds, I think we'd be a better team if he did less.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

hampton really impressed me, he has so might fight in him. regularly he was making first contact with some of the gigantic players for panthers and winning the wrestle. he also possesses great speed and footwork off of a standing start whilst also holding his own at FB.

We really needed to utilise chambers some more, everything went the way of proctor, waqa and fonua which is going to become predictable and get us found out very quickly.

Mclean and Georgy sadly did not offer much IMO.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nacho wrote:hampton really impressed me, he has so might fight in him. regularly he was making first contact with some of the gigantic players for panthers and winning the wrestle. he also possesses great speed and footwork off of a standing start whilst also holding his own at FB.

We really needed to utilise chambers some more, everything went the way of proctor, waqa and fonua which is going to become predictable and get us found out very quickly.

Mclean and Georgy sadly did not offer much IMO.

I think that's a bit hard when you consider they only got 4 receives between them in the short time they were on. Jordan still managed to have a good number of tackles.
http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match32566.html
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Didn't see much of Rose and McLean was a little quite.
Slater didn't have a game to remember either and I was very impressed with Fonua. His best yet.
Jesse Bromwich was my mom last night. We better bloody sign him long term.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Was awesome being at the game on Sat; shame it rained at the end of the game for the presentations. Can`t believed that Billy got sin binned when he was sitting on the ground and wallace went over the top of Billy (wallace played for penalty don`t think he expected sin binning).so karma payed him back in penalty not being converted after siren.

Have I mentioned that I brandy alexander is the worst commentator for Fox sports.He is a COMPLETE TOSSER.

Cammy`s last kick was BRILLIANT, he is worth everything we are paying him.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On the subject of commentators, can someone PLEASE explain to those morons that there is no such things as HALF A HOLE? Seriously, if i hear that nonsensical phrase one more time I'm going to go nuts. A hole is a hole, no matter it's size! Sorry for ranting, but, the way they mangle the language annoys the crap out of me.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

In today's SMH Wallace has stated the refs cost the Panthers the game. He says the out on the full kick by Smith should have been a Panthers ball not given to Storm for the player at marker not being square. Maybe someone should explain the rules to this guy. When there is two back to back penalties (like double knock on) the penalties always goes the way of the first penalty. Also, when Kenny changed down his field goal attempt he was screaming at the ref that it was a knock on by Storm, as the captain of the side he should know that a charge down is not a knock on. Even Alexander said it during the call.

But the thing that annoys me the most is the last two Sunday Footy show the have looked at the penalties Storm got that they say help us win the match, but the do not look at the dozen or so bad calls that were against us and they do not look at any other much for incorrect penalties. Johns also said Slater knew what he was doing and show have been sinned binned!!!!!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha who cares man. We have 2 wins and 4 points on the board. Couldn't care less about how we won games after the fact. Refs have been inconsistent for every team to start the season. We're just the easy team to pick on because Melbourne isn't league heartland. Just sour grapes really.

Reading the article, it' no wonder why some people think footy players are dumb :lol: