Round 1 - Storm vs Manly

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

the local grounds were enjoyable in the VFL....Junction Oval, Vict;Park, Windy Hill ,Princes Park etc but now we (supporters) have progressed to stadiums that are befitting of watching professional footy.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

when i say vfl, i mean the current incarnation and there were issues with one in particular, it might have been cramer st in preston, but, don't quote me on that where the centre wicket area was grassed over but raised a bit much and so a practice game was moved. it was not however patchy like brookvale was tonight. frankly i believe it was moved because a certain high profile full forward had been dropped for disciplinary reasons and they decided to just sit him out instead of play him in the vfl
Monsoon
Monsoon

How good was Jordan MacLean & The Bromwich Boys!!? Absolutely killed it, been a long time since we've had the size and skill to dominate a decent forward pack, I'm really excited to see what we can do this year!! Great win boys!!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

stormy wrote:
glennb wrote:Fox commentators were so bad. I usually like Greg Alexander but tonight he was as bad as his mate Smith.
I hate GA commentating our games. He hates Storm and he never gives us any credit throughout the game. He was nearly crying in the 2nd half when Storm were coming back. When Ben H was tackled after he kicked the ball he nearly blew a gasket cos we got a penalty.When any of our players were tackled high "it come off the ball and went high".When SISA went for the try and got kneed in the head by their number 6 why wasn`t anything said or done about that? If it had been Billy that had done it we would have heard about it for the rest of the game instead it was dismissed and moved on without a mention of the knees.
Yep I agree he is always so negative with Storm and so quick to put us down, and then what about Warren Smith, the w@^!er was sooo delighted whe Ben Hampton kicked the ball out on the full in the dying moments of the game, I thought he was going to have a seizure..but stuff em all.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:How good was Jordan MacLean & The Bromwich Boys!!? Absolutely killed it, been a long time since we've had the size and skill to dominate a decent forward pack, I'm really excited to see what we can do this year!! Great win boys!!
I haven't heard who got MOM for last night, but for me it was Jesse Bromwich, he worked and worked that ball forward all night, and he is so strong.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:Fox commentators were so bad. I usually like Greg Alexander but tonight he was as bad as his mate Smith.
Exactly. G. Stewart drags Billy down late and by the throat and they both call the penalty "a nonsense". And Horo's high shot on Hampton and then Hampton being taken out after the kick that led to Young's no try.

I'm not renewing membership this year as I'm saving money to go to America so all my viewing will be done on the NRL live app. Not looking forward to being bombarded with shit and biased commentary so much.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:How good was Jordan MacLean & The Bromwich Boys!!? Absolutely killed it, been a long time since we've had the size and skill to dominate a decent forward pack, I'm really excited to see what we can do this year!! Great win boys!!
Jordan needs to start.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i would've started him last night
Monsoon
Monsoon

Anyone else like Ben Roberts? I thought he was sensational, i'd even go as far to say he should partner Cronk in halves next week. Hampton was good in patches but Roberts kicking game and defence in particular was alot better, thoughts?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roberts sensational and him starting over Hampton ? Lol, no.
Mattpoet wrote:i would've started him last night
Norrie wasn't great in the first half, actually he struggled a lot. Only had 2 runs for 12 metres compared to J Brom 6-53, McLean 5-54 and Rose 5-38. Noz had a much improved 2nd half though which helped us claw our way back. If we keep getting off to slow starts again surely Bellamy will need to change things up.
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Definately keep Hampton in the halves when Cronk returns looks more dangerous with the ball than Roberts. I thought Rose had a good game when he came on just went straight and hard. Pretty much all the forwards played well. Fonua had too many mistakes as usual.
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:Roberts sensational and him starting over Hampton ? Lol, no.
Mattpoet wrote:i would've started him last night
Norrie wasn't great in the first half, actually he struggled a lot. Only had 2 runs for 12 metres compared to J Brom 6-53, McLean 5-54 and Rose 5-38. Noz had a much improved 2nd half though which helped us claw our way back. If we keep getting off to slow starts again surely Bellamy will need to change things up.

Roberts was 10 times better defensively, forced 2 line drop outs, and didnt give away the tying penalty and also didnt kick out on the full in golden point lol, if Manly didnt go full retard Hampton costs us that game, just saying.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both made 22 tackles, Hampton missed 3, Roberts 2, Hampton 0 ineffective tackles, Roberts 3. Not sure where the 10 times better comes from, I thought both were solid. Hampton ran the ball better, looked more threatening with the ball, he directed the team around better, scored a try and helped set up another. Hampton was one of the reasons why we won the game. And to make it even better it was Hampton's 3rd game of his career and the first game he's played in the halves.

Just be lucky we didn't get a bad game out of Roberts because it will come.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hampton was solid no doubt, he lacked composure though.. Plus i see Hampton as a true 7, Roberts suits 5/8 better i believe and will be a better foil for Cronk, just my opinion.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think your being overly harsh on Hampton. He was playing his 3rd game of his career, his composure looked fine to me when we were down 20-0 and will only get better the more he plays. He has the playmaking skills and a decent running game too. Perfect fit next to Cronk. In my opinion he'll be what we all wanted Widdop to be but better.