Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Smith announcing at the Family Day tomorrow that he is leaving for the Broncos
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

supercronk wrote:Smith announcing at the Family Day tomorrow that he is leaving for the Broncos
You're not even trying anymore.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Personally I am stoked that Cameron is staying, he is the player who will have the greatest legacy at our club in the modern era but also in our history. But I just want to point out to all these people worrying and freaking out about players off contract, that a significant part of Cam's contract will be 3rd party and therefore while it will have some effect on player retention it is not as if 20 players are making way for one star.

Most people have no idea about the salary cap structure so to paint the picture the cap has risen to $6.3 million and there is $550 000 marquee player allowance to be spent how a club sees fit across top 25 players (it is important to note that this will VERY likely rise to $1 000 000 plus in the coming year to combat Rugby Union). $100 000 split amongst no more than five cars that can be given to players, withs club allowed to pay unlimited amounts for player education and training.

There is a cap on direct 3rd party deals with players where their image is used to promote the Melbourne Storm of no more than around $150 000 and I am not entirely sure but there is a nrl club cap on this allocation of money.

Now here is where clubs and our club in particular benefits with our corporate background and associations. Players have an unlimited amount on what they can be paid for what is deemed their own intellectual property rights, as long as it doesn't directly promote the club they play for or essentially the NRL. (As signed off by Nrl)
For example Billy Slater promotes bananas, horse racing and is often an ambassador for numerous causes and while it is acknowledged that he is a Nrl player you won't see him wearing any official club logos or nrl logos because he is not promoting the Storm. It was a brilliant technicality that the rlpa negotiated so as not to limit a players income solely with football. Hence, why you might see nrl players often promoting brands such as clothing, watches or often at corporate events with different companies but never in club clothing. (Yes, it does allow richer clubs with connections to prosper but let's all agree that we are happy that our new bosses are well connected)

Yes a significant amount will be paid to Cameron from the cap but it won't be 25 % of the cap. The club is using its connections off field to set him up after football with lucrative enticements (similar to but somewhat more professionally than the "role" they created for Robbie Kearns in retirement to ensure he stayed with the club in his final contract).
The reality is we are a bloody fortunate club to have three stars of the calibre we do. To have 3 players who are key Representative players at state and national level , Dally M medallists, 2 future immortals and have steered the club to five grand finals, it is an incredible feat that yes can mean we lose players but what the club has done and is rarely recognised comprehensively is DEVLOP players. Some from the junior ranks and others who were unwanted, but they have continually done this and produced strong teams.

While people were sad to lose Widdop, the reality is that like any economic decision the money was higher elsewhere and yes he went for it. And while I say good luck to him, he is not worth $500 000 plus to our club.
He wanted out of the shadows of the big three and he has that opportunity to make his name but he also no longer has the calibre of those players to cover his shortcomings.

So I am not attacking anyone but I just think people should have some idea of how our club can come up with a $4 million deal without all the doomsday prophecies of our demise and so called mass exodus and loss of players. We will lose players, some won't be up to scratch, some will go for opportunities, family reasons and money but if this club knows anything it is how to succeed and more importantly how to survive.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Just need to point out that technically clubs can't use third party deals to entice players to stay at a club or lure them to a club nor can they be a club sponsor for the unlimited 3rd party deals. But anyone in business can tell you that handshakes deals and back room deals is how all business is conducted , it is always who you know....
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That was a comprehensive analysis Kya...thank you for putting it all in some sort of context. I am very happy that Can will hopefully stay at Melbourne and be a one club legend and future Rugby League Immortal from Storm
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good analysis Kya and I'm also stoked the great man will finish his brilliant career with us.

Also in the article above it says this "Aiding Melbourne's bid to retain Smith is the NRL's long-serving player allowance. Under current rules, Storm can spend up to $200,000 on players with eight years of continuous service, financial latitude not available to Brisbane in their quest to sign Smith."

That's also another reason why it won't impact our cap quite as much as what's being made out. Sure we'll still be giving him a decent chunk but so is every other club to at least one of their star players but their player sure as hell isn't Cameron Smith. When you take into account the third party deals and the extra we have for a long serving player I don't think we'd be paying much more out of our official cap as what other clubs would be for their top player.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea very good analysis, Kya.

My main gripe with giving such a large contract to one player is how we now fill the rest of the roster out. I'm not sure the Storm ways of having serviceable players around the big 3 and try to win the comp is going to work anymore (Just my opinion and whether it's true or not remains to be seen). The top 4-5 teams have talent everywhere not just in the spine. If we can get a better balanced team in the future with Smith still in the team then I'll be extremely happy but it will be hard to do when your paying so much to 1-3 aging players. I'm excited Smith is staying, I'm just very cautious of what it means for the future.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

CAMERON DESERVES everything that comes his way. We need him to stay at Storm cos he is a calm, determined,influential leader on and off the field.
Thankyou Kya for explaining some points for us.
:swav: :swav: :swav: :swav: :swav:
Cammy has been my fave player from his first game with us. I would have been shattered if he left. When I think of Storm I think Cammy.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some very good articles today about the role of Bart Campbell in all this. Seems he's single handedly convinced Cam to stay. Not only is he loaded he's also connected up to wazoo.

if anything it just reinforces the case for private ownership in rugby league and how, with the right backing, it can bring about success. Manly and Souths have prospered with private ownership and Storm will too.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great summation by kya but "combating rugby union"?

You are kidding? Rugby union is not a threat. The honeymoon is over for the leather arm patch brigade. The ARU are almost broke to the point one of the Australian super rugby teams is about to get the arse.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

LESStar58 wrote: Manly and Souths have prospered with private ownership and Storm will too.
Hopefully we won't have the infighting they have suffered from.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It should be noted that AFL is no threat to rugby league either despite the propogandha department telling us otherwise.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Turtle188 wrote:
LESStar58 wrote: Manly and Souths have prospered with private ownership and Storm will too.
Hopefully we won't have the infighting they have suffered from.
good point. Not only is there a lot of money and power on board but there's also bound to be a lot of ego.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Being reported that nothing is going to be announced at the Family day today.

What a disgrace. I'm not going now.

Smith is delaying this too long. Show some responsibility