Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league history

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6804955206

AUSTRALIAN Test captain Cameron Smith is chasing a four-year contract from 2015 that could see the Queensland star end his career as the most capped player in NRL and Origin history.

Smith, 30, is currently weighing up whether to return to Brisbane to finish his career or remain at Melbourne Storm where he would eventually retire as a one-club legend.

Arguably greatest hooker to play the game, he will return to Storm pre-season training on Monday with Melbourne officials sweating on a decision from Smith about if he will return to Queensland with his family in 2015 or extend his time in Victoria.

Smith took his family on an overseas holiday while they weighed up the biggest decision of his career with two clubs waiting in anticipation for his answer.

It is believed Smith has told Broncos and Storm officials he wants a four-year deal, which could see him play until he is35 and potentially surpass Darren Lockyer's 355 highest NRL games record.

Smith has played 261 NRL games and with another five years could easily break Lockyer's NRL record and almost certainly overtake Lockyer and Mal Meninga's 38-game Origin benchmarks too with his tally currently at 30.

While Smith has enormous earning potential in Brisbane - with marquee allowances and third party deals he could pocket up to $1.5 million per year - Melbourne have also made it clear they will not be beaten on price.

The Broncos have earmarked Smith as a priority signing for 2015 and while many believe the deal to be a foregone conclusion, there is a growing feeling that the Storm brotherhood with Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and coach Craig Bellamy could be too tight to break and he will remain in Melbourne.

"Everyone goes through it at some stage of their career, just because it is 'Cam' it doesn't make it any different," Storm centre Will Chambers said yesterday.

"He has his own privacy and we just let him go about doing what is best for him and his family. At the end of the day no matter what you're always going to support him as a mate.

"There is no point trying to ask him and find out, he will tell everyone in due course."

The fact Smith wants to play for at least another five years is a huge boost to Queensland's Origin team, although his successor may already be in the system.

Roosters hooker Jake Friend is coming off a stellar season and yesterday joined 13 rising stars for Queensland's Emerging Origin camp in Brisbane.

Friend, 23, was a star of last year's premiership team and many consider him unlucky not to have been picked for the Kangaroos' World Cup tour.

The Roosters vice-captain could be invited into Origin camps in the future, even just as 18th man, as Maroons coach Mal Meninga begins to plan for generation next.

"That would be great to get any sort of Queensland Origin experience," Friend said.

"But in saying that I'm not in any rush. 'Cam' is probably one of the best players to ever go around so yeah I will just keep playing good footy and see what happens down the track."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

4 years??!!

I think Melbourne will let him go. We can't afford 4 more years
storm77
Squall
Squall

Am I the only one who think he has already slipped a little due to all the games he has already played.
Dude has played a lot of minutes and made a lot of tackles.
I am not so much against four years but I have said all along there is no point in getting into a bidding war because we have got to sign our younger players so that as an organization we can Continue to be competitive instead of losing all our young players because everything continues to be tied up in three aging players.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

We need his experience with our younger players.They all say they love playing along him. 4 years is not a long time.I hope we sign him..he leads the team to perfecion.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Four years is absurd. Specially at the money he'll want.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He will get it...I just think storm are doing the wrong thing...as much as I love all three billy is getting slow and old and cam will do the same in the next few years it's gonna bite them in the bum
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:He will get it...I just think storm are doing the wrong thing...as much as I love all three billy is getting slow and old and cam will do the same in the next few years it's gonna bite them in the bum
Yep that's the big thing. The best option for the club might be to let him go.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If you were going to break up the big 3 to lock up talented youth, Cam is the last one to do away with IMO. He has never been particulary quick but has long been one of the best players in the game on the back of work ethic, skill and leadership. None of these will/should diminish drastically over the next few years.

I hope we lock him away and keep him a one club legend.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:If you were going to break up the big 3 to lock up talented youth, Cam is the last one to do away with IMO. He has never been particulary quick but has long been one of the best players in the game on the back of work ethic, skill and leadership. None of these will/should diminish drastically over the next few years.

I hope we lock him away and keep him a one club legend.
+1...TOTALLY AGREE.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cam Smith is taking the piss right??!! It's almost the end of January - where is his f@$#$ decision??!!
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

supercronk wrote:Cam Smith is taking the piss right??!! It's almost the end of January - where is his f@$#$ decision??!!
Yawn!!
storm77
Squall
Squall

I hate procrastination. Everyone has known for four months about the basic reality of the situation. More money from the Broncos or the whole one club man with less money from the storm. It really isn't complicated.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storm77 wrote:More money from the Broncos or the whole one club man with less money from the storm. It really isn't complicated.
I think the Storm have stated that they will not be beaten on $$$ for Cam's services and if he leaves, it will be for family reasons.
storm77
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:
storm77 wrote:More money from the Broncos or the whole one club man with less money from the storm. It really isn't complicated.
I think the Storm have stated that they will not be beaten on $$$ for Cam's services and if he leaves, it will be for family reasons.
But that would be a mistake in my opinion.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am just waiting for south Sydney Storm to come in with a late offer for Cam`s services.