Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Wow take a chill pill dude
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

supercronk wrote:Wow take a chill pill dude

I would have thought you would be more interested in what will happen to Jamil Hopoate than whether Cameron Smith extends his contact with Storm...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storm77
Squall
Squall

Let me repeat for the 1,000,000,000,000 time. Cam was the one who said he didn't want to drag this out so my frustration is entirely because of him.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cameron Smith Press Conference at 1.30pm
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Now at 3pm
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The storm twitter feed just said the press conference is about the trail game and nothing else.

The wait continues.....
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Smith is really starting to soil his reputation
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith says he's still uncertain about his NRL playing future and won't be rushed into making a decision.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has said he like an answer before the round one match against Manly on March 8 on whether Smith will be at the club beyond the 2014 season when his current contract expires.

He believed that the 30-year-old Australian captain was leaning towards staying rather taking up a multi-million dollar offer to return home to play with Brisbane.

However Smith refused to confirm or deny that on Thursday.

"That's Craig's opinion, I'm still a fair way off making a decision," Smith said.

"At the moment I'm still undecided on what my future holds.

"Ideally a decision soon would be best for everyone but on my part there's certainly no rushing the matter.

"It's an important decision for me and my family to make and I want to make sure it's the right one."

Smith admitted that prior to Christmas he had been favouring a move to Brisbane but it was "never a certainty".

With three small children, Smith and his wife Barbara want to be closer to their extended families.

"It's what's best for our family and that's been my message all along, that I think it's really important that at my age that we do what's best for them."
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Smith leaving wont be a shock after reading those comments.
storm77
Squall
Squall

I hate the system but at the end of the day it is the system and right now Cameron is being a massive DIVA. Yes there are those who would defend him and say it is no big deal because he is contracted until the end of the year so what is the rush?.
On paper that is nice but we all know how this thing works in reality.
It does not take months to make a decision. It is ridiculous.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree it does not a months to make this decision. I am starting to think the reason he is taking so long is, he is going to go and he worried about the fall out it will cause. Maybe he should have announced his decision when he was overseas on holiday and far away from the press.

On a side note, at the family day I heard mention that Melbourne Storm "people" do read this site.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh who cares what he does just celebrate him being at the club this year
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think he will go, in fact I don't think there is any doubt, but what concerns me, is if there are any "clauses" in other players or coaches contracts that involves the retention of Cameron Smith ?? I am not for one minute suggesting that there is, but " who knows" .

I feel very disappointed in Cam Smith, given what we went in 2010 and Coops Billy and Bellyache all staying on and I would have thought Cam of all people would have wanted to keep that combination together for the fans, and I know he is thinking what is the best for his family, but we here on this forum who have kids know how very well they adapt, so I don't believe at the age those kids are now, that in 5 years they would be traumatised by a move back to Brisbane, the oldest would still be in primary school !!! NO I think it all comes down to what the wife wants, and he should well and truly know what that is by now.. He is milking it all for the best $ then he will leave , just like Orford did, I am over it
Rina
Squall
Squall

Considering we dont know what his family's needs are or what circumstances make it difficult to maintain their lifestyle here rather than there I wouldn't even consider having a go at Cam for taking his time. Doubt he's a player that will reverse a decision once its made so logically he's taking his time.

We dont even know what is within these contracts anyway. He's signing off on a contract for the rest of his playing life...he's not signing a phone contract.

Yeah he said he didnt want to drag it out, but that wasnt a guarantee to the club or the supporters that he wouldn't. he could have even said that before he was in proper negotiations with the clubs in mind. The cowboy's supporters waited with Thurston, Sharks with Carney. I cant even imagine the chaos Manly will have with DCE off contract. Point is, all supporters experience this at one stage or another with their star players. Be patient. :)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's not going anywhere.