Dally M - may contain spoilers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

It never entered my head that Cammy wasn`t going to get Captain of the Year...Captain of Storm, Captain of SOO winning QLD, Captain of Australia. Who else deserves it more than OUR CAPTAIN. He is also the best Hooker in the World nobody is near his quality. He is also the Best Rep player as he inspires his team mates to do better as they have to follow his example.
Coops thoroughly deserved his medal for all the hard work he puts in.
So proud of my CHAMPION Team
storm77
Squall
Squall

Inglis#3 wrote:Congratulations Cooper. Thoroughly deserved and I personally, could not be any happier for him.

That completes it folks. The Big Three have all now individually claimed the Dally M Medal.
It's the first time in history that three players from the same team have each won the award while still playing together.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I like how you call it "his award" in regards to Billy and the Dally M fullback award - but i think you'd be dead right, I'd say each 'minor' award winner knew they had won....not so sure about the big one, It makes sense to keep that a secret....else why bother counting down the votes etc (plus, you wouldn't want to over indulge, and then find out you have to talk on a stage....that said, I wouldn't want to "behave" if there were no chance of me having to do any public speaking :P)
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Inglis#3 wrote:Congratulations Cooper. Thoroughly deserved and I personally, could not be any happier for him.

That completes it folks.
The Melbourne/Queensland Three have all now individually claimed the Dally M Medal.
Sorted ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Kya
Squall
Squall

stormy wrote:It never entered my head that Cammy wasn`t going to get Captain of the Year...Captain of Storm, Captain of SOO winning QLD, Captain of Australia. Who else deserves it more than OUR CAPTAIN. He is also the best Hooker in the World nobody is near his quality. He is also the Best Rep player as he inspires his team mates to do better as they have to follow his example.
Coops thoroughly deserved his medal for all the hard work he puts in.
So proud of my CHAMPION Team
Don't get me wrong I think Cameron is so far above every other captain going around and clearly he was rep and hooker of the year. But I was really shocked last year when he didn't get Captain of the year after winning origin, winning the test match and getting the Storm to top two. So it wouldn't have surprised me if they had awarded it to Mini for the year the roosters have had.

Also two points: as much as I thought it was a much improved Dally M awards, as a host wouldn't you ask the winner of the award your presenting if they would like to thank anyone??? (Hosting 101)

And some of the so called nominees in the categories were ridiculous, Dugan and Brett Stewart for fullback of the year (didn't they both miss half a year?) we all knew Inglis would win the fullback but why have four nominees when two of those were nowhere near the top 3. Nathan Merritt as winger of the year nominee?

The Peter Frilingos award to the Burgess family??? come on we get that Russell Crowe is your surrogate father now but seriously that was not the story of the year ... Unless you worked for channel nine, I mean they actually degraded the memory of a great sports journalist when they award it to crap like that. I know Journalism is at a low but seriously ...

But overall I think the telecast is improving every year. Must say it is quite funny how often they brushed players after they won awards but made sure Cameon spoke every time he won.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the nominations are the four players who poll the most votes in that position, it's got nothing to do with number of games played.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Squires: "From one hooker to another..."
Cam's response was priceless!!!!! LOL

I disagree with your comments about the Frilingos award. Personally i reckon 4 brothers playing in the same team is a MASSIVE story.

I agree there was some dubious nominees. Josh Dugan and Brett Stewart based on half a season, Josh Morris (WTF!!) & Nathan Merrit. I reckon Hoffy was very unlucky to not be nominated in the 2nd row category.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Yes it's a feel good story but I just think the award becomes devalued when its been so manufactured. It is a wonderful achievement that Souths made it happen for them but it also was contrived. ( Personal opinion only)but I don't think all four were deserving of playing in the same side because I don't rate Luke burgess at all and think that they are all only playing together because of the deals made to ensure Sam and now George stay and probably Tom depending on how he develops. personal opinion only I just think that the award should recognise the real stories whether controversial or not.

Thanks matt poet, I really couldn't understand how they came up with nominations and while I realise some of the nominees played well, I didn't think they were necessary the most consistent performers.

But at the end of the day just so happy Cronk won it and am really over hearing how he wasn't the best player of the year. Funny how they forget that Inglis did nothing after his injury, Thurston was outstanding late in year but went missing first half of the year despite some sporadic brilliance and Cherry Evans was good throughout but for some reason people seem to think his finals form is why he should have won it.

Cronk was important to us all year and while his second half wasn't as good as the first half he was consistently important in why we won our last six games.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I believe most of players knew who won the awards for team of the year. At our hen the nominees were read out, we picked the winners before the winner was announced. The only one we got wrong was captain of the year. We said Mini, but even Cameron said he thought Mini would get it. When the said lock of the year my son said Packer and I said they will not give it to a Queensland before Gallen, but they did. I was amazed.

In regards to Cameron speaking. The Telegraph wrote today that Cameron spoke very well and is a credit to the sport and other players should take note and try and learn for they way he speaks. High praise again from NSW media.

But then tonight on NRL 360 Kent said if Carney had played the last two games of the season, he would have won the award. Could not jus say how good Cronk was, just how unlucky other people were.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

glennb wrote: But then tonight on NRL 360 Kent said if Carney had played the last two games of the season, he would have won the award. Could not jus say how good Cronk was, just how unlucky other people were.
Nothing new for Paul Kent. He certainly wouldn't have acknowledged that Coops missed club games due to Origin, whereas Carney didn't. A distinct case of "if the dog didn't stop for a shit on the way home, he wouldn't have got run over."
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

All I can say to kent is "Ifs and buts"......if jt had played well in 2 extra games he could have won it......if carney had played bad in a game he would have been further behind Coops,
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Turtle188 wrote:
glennb wrote: But then tonight on NRL 360 Kent said if Carney had played the last two games of the season, he would have won the award. Could not jus say how good Cronk was, just how unlucky other people were.
Nothing new for Paul Kent. He certainly wouldn't have acknowledged that Coops missed club games due to Origin, whereas Carney didn't. A distinct case of "if the dog didn't stop for a shit on the way home, he wouldn't have got run over."
Votes are given in Origin games and count to eliminate that costing a player I'm 99% sure.

And the form Carney was in he might have, but we'll never know... that's the reality of sport! At the end of the day, he didn't play those games, so over the entire course of the year did not receive as many votes as our man Coop... simple as that.

The amount of comments online when Coop won about it being a joke, insult to the game etc were doing my head in. The people posting them have short memories and only remember JT's outstanding finish to the season, when the Cowboys went on a run after sacking their coach because they were playing terrible... again, not over the full length of the season.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dally M points are for rounds 1-26. Rep footy doesn't count towards anything.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Dally M points are for rounds 1-26. Rep footy doesn't count towards anything.
I thought Dally M points are still given in an Origin game as long as your club is playing that week and does not have the bye. I.e - You are eligible for Dally M points in an Origin game if you are forced to sit out an NRL game due to Origin. Not the case?

Otherwise Origin players are potentially 9 points disadvantaged to non-Origin players.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Dally M points are for rounds 1-26. Rep footy doesn't count towards anything.
I thought Dally M points are still given in an Origin game as long as your club is playing that week and does not have the bye. I.e - You are eligible for Dally M points in an Origin game if you are forced to sit out an NRL game due to Origin. Not the case?

Otherwise Origin players are potentially 9 points disadvantaged to non-Origin players.
Certainly my understanding - but can't find the rules anywhere online to confirm