We let it slip

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormingaway
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We should have won the Premiership this year. A real missed opportunity. I'm still gutted a week on from that shambles against the Knights
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After tonight I'm feeling like this was a big missed opportunity too. Amazing what happens in a game of rugby league. Manly were in the exact same position we were in .

It still hurts but we need to move on.
stormingaway
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I can't move on. I feel like doing something drastic.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

We've been below our best most of the season. Can't say not defending our crowd was unexpected.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Haven't really thought too much about that game...still grieving to be honest - but that was hardly 'our crowd' - I remember wondering what the hell this new storm chant was that I was hearing.....until I figured out what i was hearing was; 'new-castle' There must have been an awful lot of newcastle fans there to make that much noise.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was very clear on TV that the Newcastle fans were a lot louder than the Storm fans.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only 10 mins into this game tonight and I'm even more upset about our finals performances. Just wish we played our best football :(
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

just watching the penalty that the knights winger got for being tackled in the air, where are the other 5000 we should've had for that this year if that's a penalty!!!!!!!????
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Bunnies got the rub of the green as they say, all season with the refs (mainly Hayne). It was only after someone pointed it out that and it was printed in the media, that the 50/50calls on Friday night did not go their way (the still won the penalty count) and they did not have Hayne as a ref, and surprise the Bunnies lost.

I tried to do some research today to find out how times Hayne was the ref for Bunnies games and the outcomes. I am not the best a computer searching and could not find much. So Mattpoet if during the off season you have a bit of spare time and need some stats to research, I would love to know the answer
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:The Bunnies got the rub of the green as they say, all season with the refs (mainly Hayne). It was only after someone pointed it out that and it was printed in the media, that the 50/50calls on Friday night did not go their way (the still won the penalty count) and they did not have Hayne as a ref, and surprise the Bunnies lost.

I tried to do some research today to find out how times Hayne was the ref for Bunnies games and the outcomes. I am not the best a computer searching and could not find much. So Mattpoet if during the off season you have a bit of spare time and need some stats to research, I would love to know the answer
GlennB, Hayne refereed the Bunnies 5 times during the year. In those five games they won the penalty count 4 times. The only time they lost the penalty count was v Bulldogs in Round 4, 3 penalties to 2. Average Penalties per game for the Bunnies under Hayne was 7.6, average penalties against were 5.2. In those five games the Bunnies won 4 and lost 1. The match they lost was to the Storm in Round 6, where the penalty count was 10 - 5 in favour of Bunnies. 80% winning percentage.

In 21 games where Hayne didn't referee the Bunnies they won 8 penalty counts, had two even penalty counts and lost 11 penalty counts. Average penalties awarded to Bunnies per game were 6.14 and awarded against the Bunnies were 6.24. For a win loss record of 15 wins 6 losses. 71% winning percentage.

In summary with Hayne refereeing the Bunnies received 1.46 more penalties per game and conceded 1.04 less penalties per game. So in essence they were 2.5 penalties better off per game.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

GlennB, I also thought I would do a similar analysis when Hayne refereed the Storm, because I think he crucifies us. Funnily enough he also refereed the Storm 5 times. With Hayne refereeing we won the penalty count only twice and lost it three times. Average Penalties per game for the Storm under Hayne were 7.2. Average Penalties Against per game for the Storm were 7.8. In those 5 matches we had 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss (a winning percentage of 60%).

In 21 games where didn't have Hayne we won 12 penalty counts, had two even penalty counts and lost 7 penalty counts. Average penalties awarded to the Storm per game were 5.95 and average penalties awarded against the Storm per game were 5.67. For 13 wins and 8 losses, a winning percentage of 62%.

In summary with Hayne refereeing we received 1.25 more penalties per game but conceded 2.13 more penalties per game. So in essence we were 0.89 penalties per game worse off under Hayne.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hayne is beyond awful. It means little now but I remember seeing penalty stats of the top 4 teams when they played eachother. Roosters, Souths, Us and Manly. Souths were by far the most loved by the refs in those games going by penalties for and against.

There might not be a conspiracy but it was blatantly obvious the refs favour certain teams. Means little now anyway as the two grubbiest teams in the comp go at it in the GF.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thanks Scooter, it sounds petty even. I know as a Storm supporter I am big one eyed, but it seems to me Storm always seem to get the penalties that the refs have to give: like really bad high shots or quite noticeable off side and they always seem to be early in the tackle count down the other end of the field. But when the only teams get their penalties it is late in the tackle count, close to the try line they are attacking or the 50/50 calls that could go either way. Also, what is given as a penalty to the other team in the first half never seems to be a penalty to us in the second half. I know it is most likely not true, but it sure seems like to that to me.

Another thing that annoys me, is twice this year: once when Widdop went down and the other when McLean got knocked out, both players dropped the ball due to being hurt. But the other team got the ball, yet I once saw a grand final where Stewart got knocked out dropped the ball, but Manly still got the ball. Has the rule changed or is it different when you have a purple jumper on?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

However in the real world we struggled for the last month and lost our 2 finals games.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael :P wrote:However in the real world we struggled for the last month and lost our 2 finals games.
Yep and that's the reason why i don't see it as a missed opportunity in any way shape or form this year. If we were in great form leading up to the finals and dropped a game after having a bad one then it definitely would've been a missed opportunity but we were well down on form the best part of 6 weeks and you just can't take that into a finals series and expect any different to the results we had.