Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 4zhcj.html

Anyone have any inside gossip on this? Bennett on the record has said he doesn’t want to coach in the UK.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Looks like Bellyache might walk and it doesn't surprise me

The way we played vrs Manly; he looks like he has been concentrating on the Brisbane job rather than us.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure how much truth there is to it given the Mole is the source, but lets hope he gets this one right and it's announced soon. The perfect time being after Origin 1 on Wednesday and before we play the Ponies on Sunday ;)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/03/07/ ... t-the-mole

Craig Bellamy is set to sign a massive three-year deal to remain a one-team coach at the Melbourne Storm and finish his career at the club. Bellamy - unchallenged as the number one coach in the rugby league world - has been the subject of an intense bidding war between the Storm and Brisbane Broncos for weeks.

But Wide World of Sports has learned that Bellamy is set to reject the Broncos’ approach, which also means that his old boss Wayne Bennett is safe in his position with Brisbane. Bellamy learned his craft at the Broncos as an assistant coach before being given his big chance at the Storm in 2003, coaching the club for over 300 games.

He won four NRL grand finals in that time, although the club was stripped of two of those for salary cap rorting. Bellamy is currently earning around $1.5 million a season and is believed to be set to get a pay rise up to $1.7 million a year - making him the richest coach in the game. The Broncos were only prepared to offer him around $1.4 million a season to make the move north. Now aged 58, Bellamy is expected to retire once his new three year deal is completed at the end of 2021.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Great news ice. I figured as much. He is on a good thing in Melb.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What do we know ??

I've heard we've signed him from 2 separate peeps...

Tevita Chris Satae (born 22 October 1992) is a rugby league footballer who plays for the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL. He plays as a prop or second-row.
Playing career

After playing rugby league at St Paul's College, Satae signed with the Penrith Panthers and played in their 2012 National Youth Competition side. Satae also played rugby union for the Ponsonby Rugby Club.[2]

Satae played in the Auckland Rugby League competition for the Glenora Bears and the Point Chevalier Pirates.[3] He represented the Akarana Falcons and the New Zealand Residents in 2016.[2]

He then signed with the New Zealand Warriors and played in their 2017 Intrust Super Premiership NSW side.[2] On 31 March 2017 his contract was upgraded to a NRL squad contract.[4]

On 22 July 2017, he made his NRL début for the Warriors against the North Queensland Cowboys.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not much on him
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In a post match interview with Cam Smith from the weekend ...Smitty mentioned that Cam Munster had been more interested than many regarding the re-signing of Craig.

Do we potentially see a swag of re-signings and possible new signings now.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whispers we are interested in picking up Blake Austin for 2019.

I don’t see it happening personally. He has a big family and such a significant move would be very difficult.

And as much as I am an Austin fan (as I have detailed in here previously), he is in the same mould as Cameron Munster (though not as good). Can only assume Munny to 1, Austin to 6 is the logic here?

Much better option is Hughes to 1, Munster stays at 6, invest in a proper halfback.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Whispers we are interested in picking up Blake Austin for 2019.

I don’t see it happening personally. He has a big family and such a significant move would be very difficult.

And as much as I am an Austin fan (as I have detailed in here previously), he is in the same mould as Cameron Munster (though not as good). Can only assume Munny to 1, Austin to 6 is the logic here?

Much better option is Hughes to 1, Munster stays at 6, invest in a proper halfback.
Agreed. He’s an odd choice to chase especially with the club’s options at five-eighth.

Wade Egan could be worth looking at though unless Croft gets another shot, which I feel he will.

I’d love then Storm to chase a really powerful runner for the left-side in the back row.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote:I’d love then Storm to chase a really powerful runner for the left-side in the back row.
There’s a young Warriors player that looks amazing. I think his name is Harris?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I feel that Croft will really come into his own in a couple of years time with lots of footy under his belt and especially once Smithy moves on and he's given the reigns to run the team his way. With the exception of Nathan Cleary, no young half has managed to consistently establish themselves in first grade (even Ash Taylor has moments where he drifts in and out of games).
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I saw the Austin news on zero tackle and thought it was a joke piece. Obviously not.

He's not what we need at all next to Munster. Hopefully this is just someone doing a favour for Austin's management.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would have preferred Sezer then Austin, although if Austin can get back to his 2016 form then he would be a great pick up. He’s defence might be an issue tho, can be absolutely terrible at times. I still want Croft tho, I’m thinking he should get a run against the chooks
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Having two running halves who can't manage a team is not a recipe for success. Look at brisbane's struggles this year with the Milford / Nikorima experience.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The media also said Bellamy was odds on to leave Storm and go to Brisbane.

Personally I'd be surprised if Storm were serious about signing Austin for all of the reasons above.

Even if Munster is desperate to play full back...I'd have Jahrome Hughes at 5/8.